Network Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Traveller, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    I have an "XP Home" computer connected via a USB ADSL Modem with Internet
    Connection Sharing enabled, thus making it 192.168.0.1 on my "MSHOME"
    Network.

    It's connected to the rest of my home network with a USB WiFi Adapter. The
    other devices on the network have Static IP's in the same range etc..

    The "XP Home" computer also had a spare Ethernet port to which I recently
    connected a TCP/IP Maxtor Network Storage Drive. Initially the Maxtor
    software wouldn't "see" the drive, but I created a Network Bridge between
    the WiFi Adapter and the NIC and it then installed OK. But after a couple
    of hours it all proved unreliable. The WiFi Adapter would lose the signal
    and not reconnect & the Network Drive would become unavailable.

    I've now uninstalled it and run a System Restore and everything's OK again.
    For logistical reasons I'd like the Network Drive connected to this computer
    rather than elsewhere on the network. Is there a reason why it wont work
    properly? What am I doing wrong?

    Any help much appreciated
    Traveller, Sep 26, 2006

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 26, 2006

  3. Hi

    I assume that you are using ICS as the Routing agent.

    You cannot use ICS and do Bridging bind to the same Network device.

    You can try to attach the Network Drive pass the Routing (ICS) to the second
    computer.

    However if you need a flexible stable Network, you should use an Ethernet
    DSL Modem and a Wireless Cable/DSL Router Modem.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    P.S. My empty posr above is a clicking mistake. :D
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 26, 2006