    explanation is "the network did not assign a network address to the computer"
    Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance
    =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=, Jul 8, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=

    Lem Guest

    gryffe wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to coonevt to the internet on a 2nd PC using a Belkin 54g
    > Wireless Network Adaptor. I have set up home network but the connection via
    > the Belkin fails with "this connection has limited or no connectivity" The
    > explanation is "the network did not assign a network address to the computer"
    > Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.
    > Thanks in advance

    Not enough info.

    What version of Windows/what service pack?
    What model router? what model adaptor?
    Have you ever been able to use this network? If so, what's different now?
    Are there any other PCs connected to the router? Wired or wireless? Do
    they connect OK? To Internet? To each other?
    How do you connect to the Internet?
    Please describe your "network topology" -- for example, DSL connected
    to DSL modem; modem connected to WAN port of Linksys WRT54G router; PC 1
    connected via cable to LAN port 1 of router; PC 2 connected wirelessly
    to router.
    Are you using Belkin software or Windows to manage the wireless
    connection on PC2?
    Can you see the name of your network on the "2nd PC"? Are you sure it's
    yours? Did you change the default SSID on your router?
    Are you using encryption? Did you try to connect without using
    encryption? What happened?
    Lem, Jul 8, 2006

  3. Thanks for reply Lem, hopefully the replies below will help.

    What version of Windows/what service pack? - XP , SP2

    What model router? - BT Voyager 2091

    what model adaptor? - Belkin 54g Wireless Network Adpator

    Have you ever been able to use this network? - I used to be able to use
    this network, I got a new PC which is now the main PC, the PC I am now using
    as the 2nd PC used to be the main PC.

    If so, what's different now? (see above)

    Are there any other PCs connected to the router? Wired or wireless? Do they
    connect OK? To Internet? To each other? -
    I also have a laptop which is wireless, connects to the main PC , they both
    connect OK, and to the internet

    How do you connect to the Internet? Via the BT router (see above)

    Please describe your "network topology" -- . for example, DSL connected to
    DSL modem; modem connected to WAN port of Linksys WRT54G router; PC 1
    connected via cable to LAN port 1 of router; PC 2 connected wirelessly to
    router. Are you using Belkin software or Windows to manage the wireless
    connection on PC2? -

    Main PC is DSL connected to router, 2nd PC is the one with the problem,
    3rd PC is a laptop which connects wirelessly. I think I am using Windows
    software to manage the wireless connection(do you mean Windows zero
    configuration). The questions you ask below I am not sure about

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=, Jul 8, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=

    Lem Guest

    gryffe wrote:
> [...]

    >>What version of Windows/what service pack?
    >>What model router? what model adaptor?
    >>Have you ever been able to use this network? If so, what's different now?
    >>Are there any other PCs connected to the router? Wired or wireless? Do
    >>they connect OK? To Internet? To each other?
    >>How do you connect to the Internet?
    >>Please describe your "network topology" -- for example, DSL connected
    >>to DSL modem; modem connected to WAN port of Linksys WRT54G router; PC 1
    >>connected via cable to LAN port 1 of router; PC 2 connected wirelessly
    >>to router.
    >>Are you using Belkin software or Windows to manage the wireless
    >>connection on PC2?
    >>Can you see the name of your network on the "2nd PC"? Are you sure it's
    >>yours? Did you change the default SSID on your router?
    >>Are you using encryption? Did you try to connect without using

    We're getting closer.

    If I understand your answers, you have PC1, PC2, and Laptop. There is
    an Ethernet cable from PC1 (the new PC) to your BT Voyager DSL
    modem/router. The Laptop connects wirelessly to the router with no
    problems.

    You have connected a Belkin 54g Wireless Network Adpator (the USB
    version?) to PC2. You can't connect to the Internet with PC2.

    In PC2, do you have the Windows wireless configuration icon in the
    system notification area? See http://tinyurl.com/qjtmp

    I will assume you do. When you click on this icon, you should get the
    "choose a wireless network" dialog box. See http://tinyurl.com/pvxhg

    Is at least one of the entries in that dialog box the name you selected
    for your wireless network? Does it say "security-enabled" or
    "non-secure"? If you did not select a name when you set up the router,
    the name of the network will be whatever BT has set as the default,
    probably something like BTVOYAGER2091. The problem with not selecting
    your own unique name for your network is that if a neighbor has the same
    brand and model of router and similarly didn't change the default, you
    may be trying to connect to her network rather than your own.

    What happens when you select a network and click "connect"?

    Assuming that the above hasn't helped, boot up the Laptop and verify
    that it's connected to the Internet. Open
    a command prompt {Start > run > cmd.exe [press enter]}
    In the command prompt window, type
    ipconfig /all [press enter]

    What is listed for the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DHCP
    Server, and DNS Servers? Is the setting for "Dhcp enabled" yes?

    Now do the same for PC1 and PC2.

    Please list the values for all three computers.

    Unless you have changed things, the "Default Gateway" for all three
    computers should be 192.168.1.1 (which is what I understand the default
    IP address of your BT router to be).

    The other three computers should have IP addresses of the form
    192.168.1.xxx where xxx probably is 100, 101, and 102

    Assuming that PC2 does not have a correct IP address, open network
    connections, right click on the icon for your wireless adaptor, click
    "properties" and select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Then click
    "Properties." On the "General" tab, make sure the radio button is
    selected next to "Obtain an IP address automatically."
    Lem, Jul 8, 2006
  5. "gryffe" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to coonevt to the internet on a 2nd PC using a Belkin 54g
    > Wireless Network Adaptor. I have set up home network but the connection
    > via
    > the Belkin fails with "this connection has limited or no connectivity" The
    > explanation is "the network did not assign a network address to the
    > computer"
    > Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.
    > Thanks in advance

    Basically sounds like your router does not have DHCP switched on. Check to
    see if it is and if it isn't, either turn it on or manually assign your
    computer with an IP address in the same range the router is using.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 9, 2006
  6. Ok , here goes Lem. All of your assumptions were correct. Regarding the name
    of my network it is BTVOYAGER2091, however I seem to have two, the one which
    I am trying to connect is called BTVOYAGER2091-94(security enabled), the
    other which is not connected is called -69. When I use WZC for
    BTVOYAGER2091-94 it asks for a WEP key which I input using the details
    supplied by BT - this works with the laptop.
    Now to the troubleshooting you supplied.
    The laptop can connect to the internet.
    IPCONFIG/ALL for laptop is
    IP address 192.168.1.3, Subnet=255.255.255.0, Default gateway,DHCP and DNS
    are all 192.168.1.1, DHCP setting is enabled.

    IPCONFIG/ALL for PC1 is
    IP address 192.168.1.2, Subnet=255.255.255.0, Default gateway,DHCP and DNS
    are all 192.168.1.1, DHCP setting is enabled.

    IPCONFIG/ALL for PC2 is
    IP address 192.168.1.4, Subnet=255.255.255.0, Default gateway,DHCP and DNS
    are all 192.168.1.1, DHCP setting is NOT enabled. Please note these were
    static settings that I applied when I saw a similar problem to mine covered
    in another topic.

    Using the above static IP address for the "problem" PC means that I can
    connect properly, however when I try to browse the internet I get an error
    "cannot connect to the server" . When I try to coonect to MSN Messenger I get
    "default gateway is offline".
    When I use the "obtain an IP address automatically" I get "limited or no
    connectivity" and still cannot browse the internet.

    Might be worh mentioning that there is a wireless card installed on this
    "problem" PC which I used a few years back, however this is disabled so
    hopefully not an issue.

    Any more ideas Lem?

    I've also just seen Diamontinas reply, given that DHCP is NOT enabled on the
    problem PC, is this where the problem lies? How do I go about enabling this?
    If you put forward suggestion could you please explain how to action them,
    just assume that I know nothing and you wouldnt be far from the truth :)

    Thanks in advance

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=, Jul 9, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=

    Guest

    On 9-Jul-2006, =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?= <> wrote:

    > If you put forward suggestion could you please explain how to action them,
    > just assume that I know nothing and you wouldnt be far from the truth :)

    Sure it isn't a firewall problem?
    Default setting not letting you see the outside world.
    , Jul 9, 2006
  8. Pretty sure its not a firewall problem. 3rd part firewall has been turned
    off, only firewall protection is via the router and this shouldnt be a
    problem, should it?

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=, Jul 9, 2006
  9. Hi

    As a first step connect to the Router via a Wired computer, read the Router's
    manual and configure the Router's LAN side as it should. Put every thing on
    default. Make sure that DHCP is enabled, and switch Off the Wireless
    Security.

    At this point, if the Wireless computer would not connect at default without
    security.

    Read this, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

    Check the Network configuration of the computer.

    In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
    these steps.

    Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager. Make sure
    that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there is No IRQ
    conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

    Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
    every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.

    Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
    or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

    When working well secure the wireless.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 9, 2006
  10. For info, at the moment the setting is "obtain an IP address automatically".
    IPConfig/all shows that the autoconfig IP address is 169.254.224.28, Subnet
    Mask is 255.255.0.0, the default Gateway setting doesnt show anything, eg is
    blank.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=, Jul 9, 2006
  11. Jack, thanks for the reply but these tips either didnt work, or more to the
    point didnt make much sense to me :)
    The router is already connected to a wired computer with no problems, it is
    a BT modem/router so came fully configured and without a manual. I do not
    know how to put everything on default, or how to switch off Wireless
    Security. I uninstalled an obsolete wireless card from the problem computer
    but still no joy. I disabled all anti virus/firewall etc on this PC , still
    no joy.
    I cannot repair the socket layer etc as I do not have a portable USB. Sorry
    and thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=, Jul 9, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=

    Lem Guest

    gryffe wrote:
    > Ok , here goes Lem. All of your assumptions were correct. Regarding the name
    > of my network it is BTVOYAGER2091, however I seem to have two, the one which
    > I am trying to connect is called BTVOYAGER2091-94(security enabled), the
    > other which is not connected is called -69. When I use WZC for
    > BTVOYAGER2091-94 it asks for a WEP key which I input using the details
    > supplied by BT - this works with the laptop.
    > Now to the troubleshooting you supplied.
    > The laptop can connect to the internet.
    > IPCONFIG/ALL for laptop is
    > IP address 192.168.1.3, Subnet=255.255.255.0, Default gateway,DHCP and DNS
    > are all 192.168.1.1, DHCP setting is enabled.
    >
    > IPCONFIG/ALL for PC1 is
    > IP address 192.168.1.2, Subnet=255.255.255.0, Default gateway,DHCP and DNS
    > are all 192.168.1.1, DHCP setting is enabled.
    >
    > IPCONFIG/ALL for PC2 is
    > IP address 192.168.1.4, Subnet=255.255.255.0, Default gateway,DHCP and DNS
    > are all 192.168.1.1, DHCP setting is NOT enabled. Please note these were
    > static settings that I applied when I saw a similar problem to mine covered
    > in another topic.
    >
    > Using the above static IP address for the "problem" PC means that I can
    > connect properly, however when I try to browse the internet I get an error
    > "cannot connect to the server" . When I try to coonect to MSN Messenger I get
    > "default gateway is offline".
    > When I use the "obtain an IP address automatically" I get "limited or no
    > connectivity" and still cannot browse the internet.
    >
    > Might be worh mentioning that there is a wireless card installed on this
    > "problem" PC which I used a few years back, however this is disabled so
    > hopefully not an issue.
    >
    > Any more ideas Lem?
    >
    > I've also just seen Diamontinas reply, given that DHCP is NOT enabled on the
    > problem PC, is this where the problem lies? How do I go about enabling this?
    > If you put forward suggestion could you please explain how to action them,
    > just assume that I know nothing and you wouldnt be far from the truth :)
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >

    > "gryffe" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am trying to coonevt to the internet on a 2nd PC using a Belkin 54g
    >>Wireless Network Adaptor. I have set up home network but the connection via
    >>the Belkin fails with "this connection has limited or no connectivity" The
    >>explanation is "the network did not assign a network address to the computer"
    >>Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.
    >>Thanks in advance

    I don't understand what you mean when you say that setting a static IP
    of 192.168.1.4 allows you to "connect properly" but not to browse the
    Internet. What makes you think that you're connected?

    The fact that the laptop can successfully wirelessly connect and browse
    the Internet (it can, can't it?) means that that the router's DHCP
    server is ON and that your DSL connection is working. In any case,
    you've already tried Diamontina's next suggestion to set a static IP.
    There's nothing wrong with setting a static IP, and some (e.g.,
    Diamontina) prefer to have small wireless networks use static IPs.
    Usually, one sets all the IPs statically, but that's not necessary as
    long as you ensure that any static IP is not the same as an IP assigned
    by the DHCP server. In your case, at least for now, your're OK with
    using 192.168.1.4.

    The fact that you can't connect and browse from PC2 could have several
    causes:
    -- firewall (I know you said you checked, but check again)
    -- some other security setting on the router, such as MAC restrictions
    or IP restrictions
    -- security/encryption problems

    I couldn't find anything like a user guide for the 2091 at BT's website
    (I assume the 2091 is a 802.11(g) rather than .11(b) router), but I did
    come across this review site with a few screen shots.
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2005/q1/voyager2100.asp

    Being careful not to change anything you don't understand, log in to
    your router's "control panel" by entering 192.168.1.1 (or
    http://voyager.home) in your browser. Click on the "Advanced" button,
    and then click "security." Is IP filtering enabled?

    Then click the "wireless" link. Assuming it's like the one linked
    above, you should see the "Wireless Network Name (SSID)" box with a name
    filled in. I'd change this to something that's more
    personalized/recognizable by you, but if you do so, you'll have to
    reconnect to the new SSID with your now-working laptop.

    Click on the "MAC Address Control" link at the top of the Wireless
    Configuration screen. Is access control ON or OFF? If it's ON, and you
    want to keep it ON as added security, click the "View Access Control
    List" button. You should be able to add the MAC address of PC2 (which
    you can find by running ipconfig /all on PC2 -- the MAC address is
    what's called there "physical address."

    Click the "encryption" link on the Wireless Configuration screen. I
    find it improbable, but because your Voyager apparently came with
    encryption pre-configured by BT, it's possible that they provide the
    same default key to everyone, and that you are, in fact, connecting to
    your neighbor. This is unlikely, but you might want to turn encryption
    OFF while you are trouble shooting. Be sure to turn encryption back
    on. Of the various types of encryption available, WEP is the weakest,
    WPA, the next, and WPA2 (if available) the current strongest. Use the
    best encryption level that is compatible with all of your wireless
    equipment (it's a least-common-denominator kind of thing).
    Lem, Jul 9, 2006
  13. "gryffe" <> wrote in message
    > Jack, thanks for the reply but these tips either didnt work, or more to
    > the
    > point didnt make much sense to me :)
    > The router is already connected to a wired computer with no problems, it
    > is
    > a BT modem/router so came fully configured and without a manual. I do not
    > know how to put everything on default, or how to switch off Wireless

    At this point, it would be better for you to pay to get someone in. If you
    don't know how to do those things, you will get it all fixed much easier
    getting in someone who does know.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 9, 2006
  14. I am now going on holiday for 10 days. If anyone has any ideas please feel
    free to post them and I will attempt to perform these suggestions when I
    return. Surely somebody on here can come up with a fix without me having to
    pay, isnt that waht these forums are for?

    thanks for all suggestions so far

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=, Jul 9, 2006
  15. "gryffe" <> wrote in message
    >I am now going on holiday for 10 days. If anyone has any ideas please feel
    > free to post them and I will attempt to perform these suggestions when I
    > return. Surely somebody on here can come up with a fix without me having
    > pay, isnt that waht these forums are for?

    Yes it certainly is what they are for but you have to have at least a
    CERTAIN level of knowledge or the rather reckless abandon that everyone goes
    through at some point in order to figure out what they really dont know. If
    you dont have either of those, then no amount of help we give WILL help.

    > thanks for all suggestions so far

    No problems.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 10, 2006
  16. we shall see Diamontina. i will not give up hope just yet.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=, Jul 10, 2006
  17. Hi Lem,
    I value youur suggestions you wrote for gryffe and hope that you can lend me
    a hand. My home netowrk set up is very similar to gryffe (modem to router,
    router to vonage adapter, where pc is attached), but the pc works fine,
    however it is my wireless laptop that continues to display Limited or no
    Connectivity. This happens off and on and I just have to reboot the router
    to get ithe laptop to behave.

    I just moved in, but i am seeing a pattern of this and don't like it.
    Though rebooting reouter works, it's a pain. When it is having the problem
    and i trying renewing the ip in cmd window, this what i get..."No operation
    can be performed on Local Area connection while it has its media
    disconnected, An error occurred while renewing interface wireless network
    connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

    I also noticed that there is a Lease Obtained and Lease Expires
    date/time...does this means that after that lease expires date comes, I will
    expect it to act up again with limited no connectivity?
    any suggestions? THANKS!

    =?Utf-8?B?bHR0YnVp?=, Jul 15, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=

    Lem Guest

    See response at bottom of post

    lttbui wrote:
> [...]

    >>ipconfig /all [press enter]
    >>
    >>What is listed for the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DHCP
    >>Server, and DNS Servers? Is the setting for "Dhcp enabled" yes?
    >>
    >>Now do the same for PC1 and PC2.
    >>
    >>Please list the values for all three computers.
    >>
    >>Unless you have changed things, the "Default Gateway" for all three
    >>computers should be 192.168.1.1 (which is what I understand the default
    >>IP address of your BT router to be).
    >>
    >>The other three computers should have IP addresses of the form
    >>192.168.1.xxx where xxx probably is 100, 101, and 102
    >>
    >>Assuming that PC2 does not have a correct IP address, open network
    >>connections, right click on the icon for your wireless adaptor, click
    >>"properties" and select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Then click
    >>"Properties." On the "General" tab, make sure the radio button is
    >>selected next to "Obtain an IP address automatically."

    I've never worked with Vonage, so I don't know how this might cause any
    difficulties. Let's assume that it isn't the problem.

    Intermittent problems are hard to diagnose, and could easily be
    hardware-related. Also consider environmental problems -- how far is
    your laptop from the router, and what's in between? Are there other
    source of 2.5 MHz radio interference nearby (microwave ovens, some
    cordless phones, neighbor's wifi)? When Windows indicates a "good
    connection" all it means is that it's receiving a high level of
    something -- which may or may not be the signal from your router.

    Don't worry about DHCP leases. Under normal circumstances, they
    automatically renew before the lease expires. A problem will arise if
    the laptop can't contact the router (where the DHCP server is) when it
    tries to renew the lease. See, e.g.,
    http://tcpipguide.com/free/t_DHCPLeaseLifeCycleOverviewAllocationReallocationRe.htm

    Try placing the laptop physically close to the router. Try changing the
    router's channel from default (6?) to channel 1 or channel 11. See if
    you can associate the error messages with cordless telephone and/or
    microwave oven use. If your router is not new, check to see if there is
    updated firmware for it (unless you had the same router working fine
    elsewhere before you "just moved in").
    Lem, Jul 16, 2006
  19. "Lem" wrote:

> [...]

    > cordless phones, neighbor's wifi)? When Windows indicates a "good
    > connection" all it means is that it's receiving a high level of
    > something -- which may or may not be the signal from your router.
    >
    > Don't worry about DHCP leases. Under normal circumstances, they
    > automatically renew before the lease expires. A problem will arise if
    > the laptop can't contact the router (where the DHCP server is) when it
    > tries to renew the lease. See, e.g.,
    > http://tcpipguide.com/free/t_DHCPLeaseLifeCycleOverviewAllocationReallocationRe.htm
    >
    > Try placing the laptop physically close to the router. Try changing the
    > router's channel from default (6?) to channel 1 or channel 11. See if
    > you can associate the error messages with cordless telephone and/or
    > microwave oven use. If your router is not new, check to see if there is
    > updated firmware for it (unless you had the same router working fine

    Hi again, Lem,

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have ruled out my cordless phone.
    Unplugged it for the day and the prob still persisted. Note, phone is not new
    and have used it fine in previous location. Tried Channels other than 6 and
    no luck. No microwave nearby, distance to router is not far (been further)
    and nothing significant in between, and router firmware is up to date. Only
    new factors are obivously, I just moved here and the fact that this vonage
    phone adapter is a new addition to the network. I'm suspecting the vonage,
    but if any issues, i would expect it from my pc and not the laptop. As
    mentioned, the network is modem --> router > vonage phone adapter, where pc
    is lan connected. Wireless laptop is looking directly to router, so assume
    wireless is safe from that interference. Do you think that is safe to assume?

    I am interested in what you mention about neighbor wifi interferences. I
    don't know much about this idea, but there are a couple of secured networks
    that my machine keeps finding, regardless of my deleting them from my list.
    Sometimes they show and my own is not found!! :(. So now i'm wondering if
    this could be the cause and want to learn more how to test it out or fix it.

    Btw, thanks for link to DHCP info., educational!

    Thanks, much appreciated,
    lttbui
    =?Utf-8?B?bHR0YnVp?=, Jul 17, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?Z3J5ZmZl?=

    Lem Guest

    lttbui wrote:

> [...]

    > new factors are obivously, I just moved here and the fact that this vonage
    > phone adapter is a new addition to the network. I'm suspecting the vonage,
    > but if any issues, i would expect it from my pc and not the laptop. As
    > mentioned, the network is modem --> router > vonage phone adapter, where pc
    > is lan connected. Wireless laptop is looking directly to router, so assume
    > wireless is safe from that interference. Do you think that is safe to assume?
    >
    > I am interested in what you mention about neighbor wifi interferences. I
    > don't know much about this idea, but there are a couple of secured networks
    > that my machine keeps finding, regardless of my deleting them from my list.
    > Sometimes they show and my own is not found!! :(. So now i'm wondering if
    > this could be the cause and want to learn more how to test it out or fix it.
    >
    > Btw, thanks for link to DHCP info., educational!

    Sorry, out of ideas. You might try Netstumbler
    (http://www.netstumbler.com/) to see what's going on in the RF spectrum
    around you. (see the FAQ).
    Lem, Jul 18, 2006