    I have also run NetStumbler which finds the SSID too, but I cannot get the
    device to connect.

    Any great ideas?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0I=?=, Oct 6, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0I=?=

    Lem Guest

    CharlesB wrote:
    > I am trying to connect a desktop computer to a wireless network. Other
    > computers connect to the router both wired and wirelessly. The routers I have
    > tried are the BT Home Hub and D-Link DSL-G604T, the same problem exists with
    > both.
    >
    > The problem computer detects the network and displays the SSID, but when I
    > type in the WEP password, it refuses to connect.
    >
    > The wireless icon shows as 'Not connected' (red cross). I have deleted and
    > reinstalled the wireless device, it's a USB plug in which works with other
    > machines, and I have tried an alternative Netgear PCMCIA device with the same
    > effect.
    >
    > When I tell the system to connect, it makes several attempts and then fails.
    >
    > I have also run NetStumbler which finds the SSID too, but I cannot get the
    > device to connect.
    >
    > Any great ideas?

    If you are using WEP (and it would be better if you could use WPA or
    WPA2), enter the hexadecimal key when attempting to connect, not the
    password that you used in the router to generate the key. You can find
    the hex key in the router's setup screens, most likely on the same
    screen where you entered the password.

    --
    Lem -- To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    MS-MVP

    Lem, Oct 6, 2006