Network Design Help for Cisco newbie

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Link, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Link

    Link Guest

    I have an account that has 5 small ethernet segments, 25-35 PC's on
    each network, each network has its own internet access via cable/dsl
    or dial up modem. Segments CANNOT be connected due to security
    (political) concerns.

    They want to install a common email server and common internet access.

    This must be a cost effective solution, as usual.

    Routers with that many network interfaces seem to cost to much.

    My solution,

    Install 2950 switch

    Define vlan for each segment on switch, 1 port per vlan
    Define vlan for new email/internet segment, 2 ports
    plug each segment into corresponding vlan port
    plug email server and internet access via firewall/cable modem into
    corresponding vlan ports.
    Define 2 vlan trunk ports, one for the 5 segments, one for the
    email/internet

    Install cisco 2621xm or 2651xm

    Plug trunked ports into the two ethernet ports that come with router
    setup static routes

    OR

    install NM-ESW-16 module into 26xxxm, eliminating 2950. Setup vlans,
    trunking as above. I dont know much about the NM-ESW-16, but i assume
    the router cannot do required routing within the switch, that I would
    have to cable the trunk ports with the build in ethernet ports.

    Would these solutions work, Am I going down the wrong path, are there
    other/better/cheaper solutions?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Link
    Link, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Link

    Link Guest

    bump
    Link, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Link

    Link Guest

    How about a layer 3 like the 3550. Is this an option?

    Link
    Link, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Link

    Kevin Widner Guest

    Maybe a third option:

    Buy a 3550, layer 3 enabled software image. 1 vlan per political
    division, 1 vlan for your route/firewall, maybe a seperate vlan for
    the common or shared services such as email server. You may find more
    of those shared services are requested later on. Don't forget the
    ACL's to disallow traffic between the vlans. Also, be aware that the
    3550 only supports basic routing functionality, you won't be able to
    get too crazy with it, but it sounds like it will do just fine in your
    situation.

    Kevin

    Kevin Widner, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Link

    Peter Guest

    Hi Link,

    > I have an account that has 5 small ethernet segments, 25-35 PC's on
    > each network, each network has its own internet access via cable/dsl
    > or dial up modem. Segments CANNOT be connected due to security
    > (political) concerns.
    >
    > They want to install a common email server and common internet access.
    >
    > This must be a cost effective solution, as usual.

    A couple of things to look at -

    One method without using VLANS is to use the 2950 and "switchport
    protected" to isolate each network segment, but then you still have to
    sort out multiple segment addressing on the Email server side.

    If the Server interface can do multiple address aliases (or even
    better trunking), then that may be the cheapest method.

    Otherwise a single Layer 3 Switch (3550) could do it.

    Cheers.......pk.

    --
    *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***
    Peter, Aug 12, 2004