    Please keep answers simple, as I'm not very computer literate.
    Thanks for any replies.
    Alf

    o00o, Apr 24, 2006

  2. o00o

    Beck Guest

    o00o wrote:
    > I have a small home network, just a wireless connected laptop and a PC
    > connected to a Belkin router, everything works fine, Internet, file
    > sharing, printer sharing etc. How can I tell if someone else is
    > getting a wireless connection from my system? Sometimes lately, my
    > browsing seems pretty slow and I have wondered if maybe somebody is
    > using it. Please keep answers simple, as I'm not very computer literate.
    > Thanks for any replies.
    > Alf

    Have you enabled wireless security in the router settings? This setting
    will be called WPA or WEP on most routers. Check your router manual on how
    to enter the router dashboard and follow the instructions to set up a
    password key. Once this password key is set you will lose connection on the
    laptop until you enter that password on the laptop wireless settings aswell.

    Beck, Apr 24, 2006

  3. o00o

    o00o Guest

    "Beck" <> wrote in message
    > o00o wrote:
    >> I have a small home network, just a wireless connected laptop and a PC
    >> connected to a Belkin router, everything works fine, Internet, file
    >> sharing, printer sharing etc. How can I tell if someone else is
    >> getting a wireless connection from my system? Sometimes lately, my
    >> browsing seems pretty slow and I have wondered if maybe somebody is
    >> using it. Please keep answers simple, as I'm not very computer literate.
    >> Thanks for any replies.
    >> Alf

    > Have you enabled wireless security in the router settings? This setting
    > will be called WPA or WEP on most routers. Check your router manual on
    > how to enter the router dashboard and follow the instructions to set up a
    > password key. Once this password key is set you will lose connection on
    > the laptop until you enter that password on the laptop wireless settings
    > aswell.

    But is there a way to tell if somebody else is connected?

    o00o, Apr 24, 2006
  4. o00o

    I.F. Guest

    "o00o" <> wrote in message
    >I have a small home network, just a wireless connected laptop and a PC
    >connected to a Belkin router, everything works fine, Internet, file
    >sharing, printer sharing etc. How can I tell if someone else is getting a
    >wireless connection from my system? Sometimes lately, my browsing seems
    >pretty slow and I have wondered if maybe somebody is using it.
    > Please keep answers simple, as I'm not very computer literate.
    > Thanks for any replies.
    > Alf

    Someone's bound to correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you enter a
    password into the PC with control over the router and any other authorised
    WiFi devices - if you think someone has hacked your PW, change it and try to
    use a mixture of letters & numbers rather than a word someone might guess!

    I.F., Apr 24, 2006
  5. o00o

    I.F. Guest

    "o00o" <> wrote in message

    > "Beck" <> wrote in message
    >> o00o wrote:
    >>> I have a small home network, just a wireless connected laptop and a PC
    >>> connected to a Belkin router, everything works fine, Internet, file
    >>> sharing, printer sharing etc. How can I tell if someone else is
    >>> getting a wireless connection from my system? Sometimes lately, my
    >>> browsing seems pretty slow and I have wondered if maybe somebody is
    >>> using it. Please keep answers simple, as I'm not very computer literate.
    >>> Thanks for any replies.
    >>> Alf

    >> Have you enabled wireless security in the router settings? This setting
    >> will be called WPA or WEP on most routers. Check your router manual on
    >> how to enter the router dashboard and follow the instructions to set up a
    >> password key. Once this password key is set you will lose connection on
    >> the laptop until you enter that password on the laptop wireless settings
    >> aswell.
    >>

    > But is there a way to tell if somebody else is connected?

    Try switching off all your computers and watch the router's activity light
    for a while.

    I.F., Apr 24, 2006
  6. o00o

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "o00o" <> wrote in message
    >I have a small home network, just a wireless connected laptop and a PC
    >connected to a Belkin router, everything works fine, Internet, file
    >sharing, printer sharing etc. How can I tell if someone else is getting a
    >wireless connection from my system? Sometimes lately, my browsing seems
    >pretty slow and I have wondered if maybe somebody is using it.
    > Please keep answers simple, as I'm not very computer literate.
    > Thanks for any replies.

    If the router has logging a syslog, then you can enable it and use something
    like Wallwatcher or Kwiw Syslog Daemon to what the traffic leaving and
    coming to the router.

    http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/

    If your router does have logging and is not on the Wallwatcher list, then
    contact them and they can get your router implemented. WW is free.

    Kwiw Syslog Daemon (free) works with all routers.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006
  7. o00o

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "I.F." <> wrote in message

    > "o00o" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a small home network, just a wireless connected laptop and a PC
    >>connected to a Belkin router, everything works fine, Internet, file
    >>sharing, printer sharing etc. How can I tell if someone else is getting a
    >>wireless connection from my system? Sometimes lately, my browsing seems
    >>pretty slow and I have wondered if maybe somebody is using it.
    >> Please keep answers simple, as I'm not very computer literate.
    >> Thanks for any replies.
    >> Alf
    >>

    > Someone's bound to correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you enter a
    > password into the PC with control over the router and any other authorised
    > WiFi devices - if you think someone has hacked your PW, change it and try
    > to use a mixture of letters & numbers rather than a word someone might
    > guess!

    WEP means nothing and WAP too if someone wants to spoof the traffic between
    the router and wireless card and get that information and join the wireless
    network and use it, if they have the expertise..

    Some psw on the computer that can access the router means nothing. That will
    not prevent someone from hacking the warless network.

    If you don't know about *War Driving*, then look it up.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006
  8. o00o

    Keme Guest

    o00o wrote:
    > "Beck" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>o00o wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a small home network, just a wireless connected laptop and a PC
    >>>connected to a Belkin router, everything works fine, Internet, file
    >>>sharing, printer sharing etc. How can I tell if someone else is

    [...]
    > But is there a way to tell if somebody else is connected?

    Two relatively simple ways to detect such presence:
    - Your router probably assigns IP addresses automatically, so you may be
    able to inspect the DHCP assignments in the router (not all routers
    allow that).
    - The address resolution cache contains all network addresses
    (effectively all computers/routers/etc.) recently seen on the network.
    Open a command line window and enter "arp -a" to list the addresses.

    Both procedures list a pair of addresses, the hardware (mac) address of
    the equipment and the internet (IP) address assigned.

    Any assignments other than your two PCs is a possible intruder.

    Other possible sources for your loss of web browsing speed
    - Malware. Be sure to have antivirus and antispy tools installed and
    updated.
    For antivirus advice, goto virus bulletin at http://www.virusbtn.com
    For antispy advice, try spyware warrior: http://www.spywarewarrior.com
    - Attack from the outside (like crackers trying to gain access to your
    computer). Use firewalling of some sort, and apply all security patches
    to your OS.
    - Poor service quality from your ISP. Check with one of the many public
    "internet speedometers", which often provide service quality statistics
    for the major ISPs.

    Keme, Apr 25, 2006
  9. o00o

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-24, o00o <> wrote:
    > I have a small home network, just a wireless connected laptop and a PC
    > connected to a Belkin router, everything works fine, Internet, file sharing,
    > printer sharing etc. How can I tell if someone else is getting a wireless
    > connection from my system? Sometimes lately, my browsing seems pretty slow
    > and I have wondered if maybe somebody is using it.
    > Please keep answers simple, as I'm not very computer literate.
    > Thanks for any replies.
    > Alf

    Wireless networks are certainly easier to get into than wired ones, if you
    haven't set up the router and your computers to make use of the security
    features they offer. The router should have full instructions for how to
    do this if your computers are running Windows or Mac. The complete manual
    is probably on the CD that came with the router, if you didn't get a
    printed book. (The manual for my Belkin wireless router has more than 90
    pages).

    Is there a 'web browser' connection you can make to the router where you
    can see which computers are currently connected to it?
    <http://192.168.2.1/> is the address for mine, from my network; yours is
    probably something similar. I can see a 'menu' in the web browser, and if
    I click on 'LAN setup - DHCP client list' (and then enter the router admin
    password - you have set one, haven't you?) I see a list of all the
    computers that are 'on line' to my router.

    'Slow browsing' could be due to heavy traffic on the 'pipe' carrying your
    internet connection - as often happens during school holidays - so don't
    necessarily assume the worst; just prepare for it :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 25, 2006
  10. o00o

    JANA Guest

    Look in My Network Places. You can also access this through Windows
    Explorer. You should be able to see a listing of all the computers in your
    network.

    At the system prompt, if you type NET VIEW and press the return key, after a
    number of seconds, the system should return with a list of all the computers
    that are active in your network.

    If you type NET only, you should get a small help menu.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 25, 2006