Network connection repair

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gib Bogle, Jan 26, 2011.

  1. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my network
    connection. When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes fails to reconnect
    to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router, with a cable connection,
    and these are times when I know the connection from the modem to the internet is
    OK). In such cases I am usually unsuccessful in re-establishing the connection
    unless I restart the OS, which is a nuisance.

    As I recall, using an earlier Windows OS I could reset a connection by going to
    Network Connections, and disabling then enabling the connection. This facility
    seems to have been removed, or at least hidden. I can now go from the Control
    Panel to the Network and Sharing Center, but the info and measures available
    there are very limited. As far as I've been able to see there is only
    Troubleshoot, which usually doesn't do anything for me.

    I'll be very happy to be told that I am just an ignorant W7 user, and that there
    is a way to access the disable/enable capability.

    Thanks
    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jan 26, 2011

  2. In message <iho97q$lm7$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Since I installed W7 ...

    There’s your problem.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 26, 2011

  3. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    On 26/01/2011 5:51 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my
    > network connection. When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes
    > fails to reconnect to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router,
    > with a cable connection, and these are times when I know the connection
    > from the modem to the internet is OK). In such cases I am usually
    > unsuccessful in re-establishing the connection unless I restart the OS,
    > which is a nuisance.

    Update the network card driver - that is the usual culprit in this type
    of problem.

    EMB, Jan 26, 2011
  4. On Jan 26, 5:51 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my network
    > connection.  When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes fails to reconnect
    > to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router, with a cable connection,
    > and these are times when I know the connection from the modem to the internet is
    > OK).  In such cases I am usually unsuccessful in re-establishing the connection
    > unless I restart the OS, which is a nuisance.
    >
    > As I recall, using an earlier Windows OS I could reset a connection by going to
    > Network Connections, and disabling then enabling the connection.  This facility
    > seems to have been removed, or at least hidden.   I can now go from the Control
    > Panel to the Network and Sharing Center, but the info and measures available
    > there are very limited.  As far as I've been able to see there is only
    > Troubleshoot, which usually doesn't do anything for me.
    >
    > I'll be very happy to be told that I am just an ignorant W7 user, and that there
    > is a way to access the disable/enable capability.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gib

    start
    run
    ncpa.cpl

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 26, 2011
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    > In message<iho97q$lm7$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Since I installed W7 ...

    > There’s your problem.

    I knew I'd get a prickish response from you.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 27, 2011
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 27/01/2011 1:45 a.m., impossible wrote:
    > "Gib Bogle" wrote in message news:iho97q$lm7$...
    >>
    >> Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my network
    >> connection. When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes fails to
    >> reconnect to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router, with a cable
    >> connection, and these are times when I know the connection from the modem to
    >> the internet is OK). In such cases I am usually unsuccessful in
    >> re-establishing the connection unless I restart the OS, which is a nuisance.
    >>
    >> As I recall, using an earlier Windows OS I could reset a connection by going
    >> to Network Connections, and disabling then enabling the connection. This
    >> facility seems to have been removed, or at least hidden. I can now go from the
    >> Control Panel to the Network and Sharing Center, but the info and measures
    >> available there are very limited. As far as I've been able to see there is
    >> only Troubleshoot, which usually doesn't do anything for me.
    >>
    >> I'll be very happy to be told that I am just an ignorant W7 user, and that
    >> there is a way to access the disable/enable capability.
    >>

    > There is a way. Look in what's called the "Notifications Bar" of the taskbar at
    > the far right end -- you should see an icon for your network (it indicates the
    > network status), and if you click on that you can then click "Open Network and
    > Sharing Center". From there you disable/enable connections as you please.

    No, that's my question. I can get to "Open Network and > Sharing Center"
    without any problems, my question is how to invoke the disable/enable from
    there? Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I can't see how to do it. Several aspects
    of W7 are like this. I knew my way around NT/W2000/XP pretty well, but now
    they've changed everything, substituting pretty pictures for useful tables.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 27, 2011
  7. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 27/01/2011 7:39 a.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 5:51 pm, Gib Bogle<> wrote:
    >> Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my network
    >> connection. When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes fails to reconnect
    >> to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router, with a cable connection,
    >> and these are times when I know the connection from the modem to the internet is
    >> OK). In such cases I am usually unsuccessful in re-establishing the connection
    >> unless I restart the OS, which is a nuisance.
    >>
    >> As I recall, using an earlier Windows OS I could reset a connection by going to
    >> Network Connections, and disabling then enabling the connection. This facility
    >> seems to have been removed, or at least hidden. I can now go from the Control
    >> Panel to the Network and Sharing Center, but the info and measures available
    >> there are very limited. As far as I've been able to see there is only
    >> Troubleshoot, which usually doesn't do anything for me.
    >>
    >> I'll be very happy to be told that I am just an ignorant W7 user, and that there
    >> is a way to access the disable/enable capability.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Gib

    > start
    > run
    > ncpa.cpl

    What's ncpa.cpl?

    Gib Bogle, Jan 27, 2011
  8. In message <ihqk05$bqo$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > On 26/01/2011 9:01 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message<iho97q$lm7$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since I installed W7 ...

    >> There’s your problem.

    > I knew I'd get a prickish response from you.

    The question is, has anybody else been able to offer anything better?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2011
  9. Gib Bogle

    Mgr. Scooter Guest

    On , , Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:10:40 +1300, Re: Network connection repair, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >On 27/01/2011 7:39 a.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >> On Jan 26, 5:51 pm, Gib Bogle<> wrote:
    >>> Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my network
    >>> connection. When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes fails to reconnect
    >>> to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router, with a cable connection,
    >>> and these are times when I know the connection from the modem to the internet is
    >>> OK). In such cases I am usually unsuccessful in re-establishing the connection
    >>> unless I restart the OS, which is a nuisance.
    >>>
    >>> As I recall, using an earlier Windows OS I could reset a connection by going to
    >>> Network Connections, and disabling then enabling the connection. This facility
    >>> seems to have been removed, or at least hidden. I can now go from the Control
    >>> Panel to the Network and Sharing Center, but the info and measures available
    >>> there are very limited. As far as I've been able to see there is only
    >>> Troubleshoot, which usually doesn't do anything for me.
    >>>
    >>> I'll be very happy to be told that I am just an ignorant W7 user, and that there
    >>> is a way to access the disable/enable capability.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Gib

    >> start
    >> run
    >> ncpa.cpl

    >What's ncpa.cpl?

    Not fuckupyourcomputer.ha.ha.ha

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Mgr. Scooter, Jan 27, 2011
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 27/01/2011 5:01 p.m., impossible wrote:

    > When you get to the "Network Sharing Center" click "Change Adapter Settings".
    > Enable/disable your network adapters from there.

    Excellent. That's what I wanted.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 27, 2011
  11. On Jan 27, 9:20 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > On 27/01/2011 5:01 p.m., impossible wrote:
    >
    > > When you get to the "Network Sharing Center" click "Change Adapter Settings".
    > > Enable/disable your network adapters from there.

    > Excellent.  That's what I wanted.

    the fastest way is still to run ncpa.cpl

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 27, 2011
  12. On Jan 27, 3:10 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > On 27/01/2011 7:39 a.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >

    > > On Jan 26, 5:51 pm, Gib Bogle<>  wrote:
    > >> Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my network
    > >> connection.  When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes fails to reconnect
    > >> to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router, with a cable connection,
    > >> and these are times when I know the connection from the modem to the internet is
    > >> OK).  In such cases I am usually unsuccessful in re-establishing the connection
    > >> unless I restart the OS, which is a nuisance.

    > >> As I recall, using an earlier Windows OS I could reset a connection by going to
    > >> Network Connections, and disabling then enabling the connection.  This facility
    > >> seems to have been removed, or at least hidden.   I can now go from the Control
    > >> Panel to the Network and Sharing Center, but the info and measures available
    > >> there are very limited.  As far as I've been able to see there is only
    > >> Troubleshoot, which usually doesn't do anything for me.

    > >> I'll be very happy to be told that I am just an ignorant W7 user, and that there
    > >> is a way to access the disable/enable capability.

    > >> Thanks
    > >> Gib

    > > start
    > > run
    > > ncpa.cpl

    > What's ncpa.cpl?- Hide quoted text -

    network connections control panel applet

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 27, 2011
  13. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 27/01/2011 9:41 p.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>> start
    >>> run
    >>> ncpa.cpl

    >> What's ncpa.cpl?- Hide quoted text -

    > network connections control panel applet

    I learned something today. I've never seen a .cpl file before.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 27, 2011
  14. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    [snip]
    > Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I can't see
    > how to do it. Several aspects of W7 are like this. I knew my way
    > around NT/W2000/XP pretty well, but now they've changed everything,
    > substituting pretty pictures for useful tables.

    ..... which is why I'm very reluctant to go there myself.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2011
  15. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ihrdpr$im4$-september.org>,
    , ~misfit~ says...

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I can't see
    > > how to do it. Several aspects of W7 are like this. I knew my way
    > > around NT/W2000/XP pretty well, but now they've changed everything,
    > > substituting pretty pictures for useful tables.

    > .... which is why I'm very reluctant to go there myself.

    Get used to it. Windows 7 is good. XP is old, bloated and has a poor
    security model by default.

    If yer wanna see something bad, try Ubuntu 10.10! :)

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jan 27, 2011
  16. Gib Bogle

    Richard Guest

    On 1/26/2011 5:51 PM, Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my
    > network connection. When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes
    > fails to reconnect to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router,
    > with a cable connection, and these are times when I know the connection
    > from the modem to the internet is OK). In such cases I am usually
    > unsuccessful in re-establishing the connection unless I restart the OS,
    > which is a nuisance.
    >
    > As I recall, using an earlier Windows OS I could reset a connection by
    > going to Network Connections, and disabling then enabling the
    > connection. This facility seems to have been removed, or at least
    > hidden. I can now go from the Control Panel to the Network and Sharing
    > Center, but the info and measures available there are very limited. As
    > far as I've been able to see there is only Troubleshoot, which usually
    > doesn't do anything for me.
    >
    > I'll be very happy to be told that I am just an ignorant W7 user, and
    > that there is a way to access the disable/enable capability.

    I had this happen a few times.

    I turned off all the checksum offloading options from this realtek piece
    of shit card and it has been fine since then.

    Richard, Jan 27, 2011
  17. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 27/01/2011 11:52 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article<ihrdpr$im4$-september.org>,
    > , ~misfit~ says...
    >>
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>> Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I can't see
    >>> how to do it. Several aspects of W7 are like this. I knew my way
    >>> around NT/W2000/XP pretty well, but now they've changed everything,
    >>> substituting pretty pictures for useful tables.

    >> .... which is why I'm very reluctant to go there myself.

    > Get used to it. Windows 7 is good. XP is old, bloated and has a poor
    > security model by default.

    I agree that W7 is good. It's just taking me a while to find out how to do some
    things (age, I guess).

    Gib Bogle, Jan 27, 2011
  18. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 28/01/2011 2:47 a.m., Richard wrote:

    > I had this happen a few times.
    >
    > I turned off all the checksum offloading options from this realtek piece of shit
    > card and it has been fine since then.

    Yes, I have a Realtek adapter (on the Asus mb). Thanks for the suggestion.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 27, 2011
  19. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    On 27/01/11 22:05, Gib Bogle wrote:

    >>> What's ncpa.cpl?- Hide quoted text -

    >> network connections control panel applet

    > I learned something today. I've never seen a .cpl file before.

    Huh? All the control panel applets are .cpl files. And there are others too.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Jan 27, 2011
  20. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 28/01/2011 9:07 a.m., Enkidu wrote:

    >>> network connections control panel applet

    >> I learned something today. I've never seen a .cpl file before.
    > >

    > Huh? All the control panel applets are .cpl files. And there are others too.

    I believe you. When one clicks a button one doesn't see the underlying code
    file. What's an applet? ;-)

    Gib Bogle, Jan 27, 2011