    I have a laptop with a wireless card and a wired connection to the same
    network , I would like to configure it to use the wire connection if it is
    available and use the wireless if not .
    =?Utf-8?B?SnVhbiBBbnRvbmlv?=, Jul 4, 2005

  2. Well, sort of:

    Right click on My Network places and select Properties. Click
    Advanced/Advanced Settings. Move the Local Area Connection for the ethernet
    adapter to the top of the binding order. See;

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/
    en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en
    -us/intwork/indf_dlc_eeme.asp

    However, it is not a good idea to have 2 adapters connected to the same
    subnet at the same time. Disable the one you do not want to use.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jul 4, 2005

  3. In article <>, Juan
    Antonio <Juan > wrote:
    >Do you know a way of assigning priority to a network connection in XP Pro?
    >I have a laptop with a wireless card and a wired connection to the same
    >network , I would like to configure it to use the wire connection if it is
    >available and use the wireless if not .

    That should happen by default using XP's "automatic metric" feature:

    An explanation of the Automatic Metric feature for Internet Protocol
    routes
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299540

    If it doesn't, manually assign metrics to both connections, giving a
    lower value to the wired connection:

    1. Open the Network Connections folder.
    2. Right click the desired connection.
    3. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    4. Click Properties | Advanced.
    5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
    6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric".
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jul 5, 2005