    it, but that did not help either... any help would be great!

    Thanks
    Matt

    mwmith15, Apr 28, 2006

  2. mwmith15

    Malke Guest

    mwmith15 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a wireless network at home that has ben up for some time now.
    > have a wired machine connected to the router and 2 laptops connected
    > wirelessly. One laptop still connects flawlessly, however, the othe
    > ris having problems. I purchased for my fiance for christmas and has
    > been functioning properly. But now, the wireless icon in the system
    > tray will throw popup saying that it is unconnected but there are
    > networks in range. When i view networks it shows nothing and states
    > none are in range. I cannot connect in any way. It is running XP
    > Home. I have removed Norton's thinking something was happening with
    > it, but that did not help either... any help would be great!

    Since everything works except for one laptop, I'd try:

    1. First, make sure the laptop is completely malware/virus-free since
    malware often affects connectivity. Here are general malware removal
    steps:

    2. Since the machine is a laptop, it is easy to take it somewhere else
    and try to connect, to a friend's wireless network for instance. If no
    networks show up, perhaps the wireless adapter itself is dying. If the
    laptop doesn't see foreign wireless networks, then try a different
    wireless adapter.

    3. Are you using the Windows wireless manager or the one that came with
    the wireless adapter? Try switching to the other method.

    4. Always ask: what changed between the time things worked and the time
    they didn't? Install any driver updates, particularly from Windows
    Update which is a Bad Idea, third-party programs, other updates?

    5. Look in EventViewer to see if there are clues.
    Start>Run>eventvwr.msc [enter]

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Apr 28, 2006

  3. mwmith15

    mwsmith15 Guest

    I will look into these things, however, I can pick up other unsecure
    networks with my other laptop and cannot with the poblem laptop. So, I
    thought the internal wireless card may be bad. I can still ping back
    to myself though, I guess I figured if I could do that the device
    should be working properly. When I get home I will try to get a card
    and use it. Also, I removed Norton's AFTER running a scan which
    returned no problems. It was throwing script on page errors when I
    tried to change something. I think it is infected with a virus...

    Thanks,

    mwsmith15, Apr 28, 2006
  4. mwmith15

    Malke Guest

    mwsmith15 wrote:

    > I will look into these things, however, I can pick up other unsecure
    > networks with my other laptop and cannot with the poblem laptop. So,
    > thought the internal wireless card may be bad. I can still ping back
    > to myself though, I guess I figured if I could do that the device
    > should be working properly. When I get home I will try to get a card
    > and use it. Also, I removed Norton's AFTER running a scan which
    > returned no problems. It was throwing script on page errors when I
    > tried to change something. I think it is infected with a virus...
    >
    > Thanks,

    If you think the computer is infected, make cleaning it up your first
    priority. The network problems may be solved after that.

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 28, 2006