    Why is this happening? Could it have anything to do with power
    conservation? Is there a fix? If I can't fix it, how can I reestablish
    the connection without restarting?

    JustMe, Nov 6, 2006

  2. Are you running the latest drivers, firmware, etc for your wireless hardware
    including the WRT54G?

    Have you tried changing channels to something other than the default. My
    wife's wireless desktop recently started dropping the wireless connection
    intermittently. A quick NetStumbler scan revealed that someone else in my
    immediate neighborhood started using the same channel I was using. Switching
    to another channel, in my case Channel 9, solved the issue for me...

    I presume your broadcasting your SSID?

    You might try turning off any power save options for the laptop wireless
    hardware as a test also...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Nov 6, 2006

  3. JustMe

    David Hettel Guest

    I would suggest that you look at the power saving options on your adapter.
    It sounds to me like your computer is turning off the wireless connection.
    My guess is somewhere there is an option to allow your computer to power
    down the wireless adapter that is enabled.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Hi

    Most of the time it is the Wireless Card Power saver.

    However some laptops plague by this behavior due to their General power
    saving (idling behavior).

    If the Laptop is plugged in to charge while working, disable the general
    power saving (usually there is a separate setting for saving, with or
    without Battery), and give it a try.

    If you use it without the charging power connected to, try to "play" with
    the idle settings, (like leave, the Monitor and Hard Drive going Off but set
    the CPU to stay On).

    Be careful and make sure the check that the computer does not overheat if
    you change the Idle behavior.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 6, 2006
  5. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Are you running the latest drivers, firmware, etc for your wireless
    > hardware including the WRT54G?

    I doubt it. Router has been in service as a wired router for two years
    without attention of any kind.

    > Have you tried changing channels to something other than the default. My
    > wife's wireless desktop recently started dropping the wireless connection
    > intermittently. A quick NetStumbler scan revealed that someone else in my
    > immediate neighborhood started using the same channel I was using.
    > Switching to another channel, in my case Channel 9, solved the issue for
    > me..

    No but I think I ought to do that. I'm pretty rural although there are half
    a dozen homes w/i a half mile radius.

    > I presume your broadcasting your SSID?

    I am

    > You might try turning off any power save options for the laptop wireless
    > hardware as a test also...

    I have to look in to that.

    Another consideration I haden't thought of is the wife is a gadget freak.
    There's a 2.4ghz wireless phone nearby and she has numerous cell phones.

    JustMe, Nov 7, 2006
  6. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    I wasn't aware the adapter itself could power down. I'll have to have a
    looksee. What's the easiest way to restart an adapter that disappears from
    the system tray? Do I have to reinstall it?

    JustMe, Nov 7, 2006
  7. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > Most of the time it is the Wireless Card Power saver.

    I didn't know that. Thought it was all done via MB. I remember folks talking
    about "wake on lan" several years ago. Is this part of it? How do I restart
    an adapter when the shortcut disappears from the tray?

    > However some laptops plague by this behavior due to their General power
    > saving (idling behavior).
    >
    > If the Laptop is plugged in to charge while working, disable the general
    > power saving (usually there is a separate setting for saving, with or
    > without Battery), and give it a try.

    It's not really laptop and has no battery to charge. Just uses a laptop MB
    in a small footprint case.

    > If you use it without the charging power connected to, try to "play" with
    > the idle settings, (like leave, the Monitor and Hard Drive going Off but
    > set the CPU to stay On).

    Good Idea.I've never had to do that. Looks like I'd better learn

    Wife also has several Cellphones which might be nearby and a 2.4ghz wireless
    phone. Guess I need to look into that as well.

    JustMe, Nov 7, 2006
  8. JustMe

    David Hettel Guest

    Easiest way to restart would be | Control Panel | Network Connections | Then
    right click on the icon. and then chose repair. Or hold down the control
    key, click on the icon and drag it to the desktop and/or the Quick Launch
    area. No you don't need to re-install it.

    Keep the icon in the taskbar, | Right click on an empty part of the taskbar
    and choose properties | Click "Customize..." on the Taskbar (tab) | Find
    the icon and under Behavior select "Always show"

    I noticed that in your other post you state that your wife is a gadget
    freak, if one of her other gadgets is causing interference it could knock
    you off the wireless router. I believe that some of the older firmware had
    problems with renewing a lease when it lost a connection do to interference,
    so updating the Linksys firmware might prove to be of some help. Once your
    laptop fails to renew the lease, it would most likely power down the card,
    removing it from the taskbar. You might have a key press such as Fn F5 that
    will turn on the card again from this state.

    David Hettel, Nov 7, 2006