Network Connection - Copy To New Name?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Richard in Va., Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Would anyone know how I might make a copy of a Network Connection and save it as a
    different name?

    For Christmas, my brother gave me a Linksys Wireless Broadband Router. During installation
    of the router, the Linksys setup CD failed, so I went to the Linksys website and
    downloaded a utility, I think it was called "netset.exe"
    The utility (I think) evaluated my existing DSL network connection and modified it to work
    with the router.
    It asked no questions but seems to work fine.
    "Netset.exe" stole my existing DSL connection and reconfigured it.

    I still only have one (1) network connection. (DSL modified to work through the router)

    The only time the wireless router will be used is when he comes to visit with his laptop,
    about 3-4 times a year.

    Having both network connections, I hope to simply wire-in the wireless router and enable
    the wireless connection when my brother is in town.

    I believe I know all the changes it made during install.

    Is there a way to copy the new (wireless) network connection configuration to a different
    name, edit the copy to undo the changes made? Then I would have two network connections,
    one for the wireless router and one for DSL without the router.
    I'm using XP-Home SP2.

    I understand I'll need to wire the DSL modem directly to the PC when not using the router.

    Probably a simple question, but I can't seem to find the answer.

    There's allot of kids on bicycles around here!

    Lesson: Always give a gift to someone, something you want them to have...!

    Thanks for any help!

    Best regards,

    Richard in Va.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Richard in Va., Jan 17, 2006

  2. Hello , I may have a solution .. Please see your original post in "Windows XP
    General"
    --
    KD

    =?Utf-8?B?SW5zdGFsbGVy?=, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Thanks for your help KD, the thing of it is that my issue exist on my desktop PC which is
    hardwired to the broadband router. Therefore, I don't have any wireless network
    connections. (Remember the "netget.exe" utility I downloaded from Linksys.com that simply
    modified my existing DSL connection to work through the router). The router is simply
    sitting here for the neighborhood to use. I'm not using the router, only the kids on
    bicycles and such. That's why I want to be able to unplug the router and be able to plug
    it back in whenever family come to visit with their laptops.

    Hence (2) network connections I can enable/disable as needed.

    I will be replying to beb from my original post (Windows XP general), I think her idea, as
    simple as it sounds, is worth a try.
    I'll likely add additional verbage in my reply to her/him if you care to listen in.

    Again, thanks for your help!

    Best regards,

    Richard in Va.

    Richard in Va., Jan 17, 2006