    I might add that I took the laptop over to another friends house and it
    worked fine, even without a password on his wireless connection.
    Can anybody help
    =?Utf-8?B?SSBvbmx5IGNhbGwgd2hlbiBJIHdhbnQgc29tZXRo, Nov 17, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SSBvbmx5IGNhbGwgd2hlbiBJIHdhbnQgc29tZXRo

    Guest

    On 17-Nov-2006, =?Utf-8?B?SSBvbmx5IGNhbGwgd2hlbiBJIHdhbnQgc29tZXRoaW5n?=
    <> wrote:

    > I might add that I took the laptop over to another friends house and it
    > worked fine, even without a password on his wireless connection.
    > Can anybody help

    It may be how your laptop is configured for wireless,
    the wireless connections router is often set as the
    DNS server.
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Unless you get the numbers right it won't work.
    It may not be 10.0.0.xxx addresses there are different
    address ranges, mine just happens to be the 10.0.0.xxx
    range.
    Go to Accessories -> Command Prompt, and type
    ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    and look in C:\ for ipconfig.txt and open it with Notepad.
    Report back here with what you get.
    Also try connecting to websites using their dotted
    quad IP addresses instead of the URL, this bypasses
    the DNS lookup, and if it works indicates that it is
    a DNS (Domain Name Server) lookup problem.
    DNS is the internets parallel to Directory Enquiries,
    you give a name (the URL eg bbc.co.uk) it gives
    you a number.
    If you can get to websites, Google for ipconfig
    for fuller details on how to use it.
    , Nov 17, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SSBvbmx5IGNhbGwgd2hlbiBJIHdhbnQgc29tZXRo

    David Hettel Guest

    You might want to try these;

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 18, 2006
  4. Thanks for your help, have just been informed that the password was wrong,
    have the right password now and it works.
    Thank you anyway

    =?Utf-8?B?SSBvbmx5IGNhbGwgd2hlbiBJIHdhbnQgc29tZXRo, Nov 19, 2006
  5. Thanks for your help, just been given the right password and it now works
    Cheers anyway

    =?Utf-8?B?SSBvbmx5IGNhbGwgd2hlbiBJIHdhbnQgc29tZXRo, Nov 19, 2006