Network Computer Reboots when Laptop Connects to Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Charles Law, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. Charles Law

    Charles Law Guest

    I have a really weird problem. When I log in to my laptop, another computer
    on the network reboots.

    The set-up I have is a 4-port hub, plugged into which is a Dell desktop and
    a D-Link Access Point (DWL-7100AP). The Dell is then connected to a USB
    broadband modem.

    I also have a Dell laptop, which has a Mini-PC wireless card. Both computers
    are running XP Pro with SP2.

    The desktop computer runs all day, every day without a hiccough. But when I
    switch on my laptop and log in, my desktop immediately reboots. And I don't
    mean it shuts down and restarts. It behaves just like it was switched off at
    the mains and switched back on again.

    Once it has rebooted, everything works fine. I connect to the internet at
    the desktop and my laptop can use shares on the desktop and browse the
    internet.

    Can anyone suggest what on earth might be happening?

    TIA

    Charles

    Charles Law, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Charles Law

    Bryan Martin Guest

    wow..... That's weird.....

    Mabe the motherboard is flaking out. I know allot of motherboards now days
    come with a feature call wake on LAN. Maybe that's messing up and seeing a
    signal come from the laptop and is interpreting it to mean shutdown.

    Bryan Martin, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Charles Law

    Charles Law Guest

    Hi Bryan

    Thanks for the response. I don't think it can be WOL as I have other (wired)
    machines that do not cause this problem when they are switched on.

    Any other suggestions very welcome though, or just musings. This problem is
    driving me up the wall. As you say: it *is* weird.

    I can't imagine what could be happening, and I have spent more years with
    computers than I care to mention.

    The problem is 100% repeatable. Dell desktop machine sitting doing nothing,
    except running Windows XP Pro SP2 and connected to an ADSL modem for
    broadband internet. Also connected to a 4-port 100Mb powered Ethernet hub.
    D-Link Access Point connected to hub as well.

    The AP is configured to use 802.11a (I have disabled 802.11g).

    The laptop (also Dell) is running the same OS and service pack. I switch the
    laptop on and it proceeds to the Ctl+Alt+Del screen. So far all is well. I
    log in and after about 20 seconds the desktop restarts; no elegant shutdown,
    just restarts from the BIOS screen The desktop has shares that are visible
    to the laptop, and when it has finished restarting they can be seen. The
    internet is also available to both machines. I have disabled the XP firewall
    because I have ZoneAlarm running on both machines.

    What is interesting is that once it has all settled down, I can reboot the
    laptop without problem. However, if I shutdown the laptop, and then later
    start it up again, the problem reoccurs.

    I really hope someone can offer some suggestions, or just things to try to
    get closer to the problem.

    Thanks everyone.

    Charles

    Charles Law, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Charles Law

    Charles Law Guest

    Re: Network Computer Reboots when Laptop Connects to Wireless Network (ANSWER)

    I may have resolved this now.

    I went to the Intel web site and got an updated driver for my PRO/100 VE
    network card in the desktop computer and the problem seems to have gone
    away. The version I was using before came from the Dell web site.

    Interestingly, this has come up in another thread, where someone suggested
    that (for laptops) one should use the driver from the OEM web site. This is
    not borne out by my experience here, but this may be different for desktop
    computers.

    Charles

    Charles Law, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Charles Law

    Pavel A. Guest

    Re: Network Computer Reboots when Laptop Connects to Wireless Network (ANSWER)

    "Charles Law" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I may have resolved this now.
    >
    > I went to the Intel web site and got an updated driver for my PRO/100 VE
    > network card in the desktop computer and the problem seems to have gone
    > away. The version I was using before came from the Dell web site.
    >
    > Interestingly, this has come up in another thread, where someone suggested
    > that (for laptops) one should use the driver from the OEM web site. This is
    > not borne out by my experience here, but this may be different for desktop
    > computers.
    >
    > Charles

    Sure enough. A classic example of garbage in - garbage out :(

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 12, 2004
  6. Charles Law

    Charles Law Guest

    Re: Network Computer Reboots when Laptop Connects to Wireless Network (ANSWER)

    Looks like I spoke too soon. Turned on the laptop this morning and desktop
    is off with the fairies.

    Can anyone offer any other suggestions? Please.

    Charles

    Charles Law, Sep 13, 2004
  7. Charles Law

    Pavel A. Guest

    Re: Network Computer Reboots when Laptop Connects to Wireless Network (ANSWER)

    The desktop restarts because XP crashes.
    Please check your eventlog for relevant messages.
    When you identify the reason of these crashes, please post here.
    The dump files also can be helpful for investigation, but they need special tools to read.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 13, 2004
  8. Charles Law

    Charles Law Guest

    Hmm ...

    There are no messages in the event log at or around the time of the crash. I
    also could not find any dump files, e.g. files in a directory called
    MiniDump. Where should I look, and what tools can read them?

    I did notice though, whilst wandering through System Properties | Startup
    and Recovery, that under System failure it was set to Automatically restart.
    It never used to be like that, at least not up until I installed SP2.

    Anyway, I unchecked the box, rebooted, and now I can't make it crash
    anymore. Still no entries in the event log either, apart from the usual ones
    about no DNS server, domain cannot be found, W3Time getting upset and some
    from NetLogon; but then my server is not on most of the time so I'm not too
    surprised.

    Serendipity is a wonderful thing :)

    Charles

    Charles Law, Sep 14, 2004