    thought I had left dialog boxes open that later had closed. Is this
    possible? If I drove around my area with my laptop could I possibly
    determine the source of Linksys be monitoring the signal strength?
    =?Utf-8?B?aW5jb3Bhc3M=?=, Nov 22, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?aW5jb3Bhc3M=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Well it depends on your network and your wireless access point. Generally
    the access point or (wireless router something for the purpose of this
    discussion) will have the ability to show who is connected to it. One area
    to look for this would be under the DHCP server settings it may have an
    option to show clients connected, look for an unknown mac address.

    You could also press Ctrl-Alt-Del at the same time and bring up task
    manager, this will show under the Users (tab) all users currently connected
    to your computer.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 22, 2006

  3. You can use AirSnare to monitor suspected intrusions on your wireless
    network...

    http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

    The real key however is to properly secure your network so you don't have
    intrusions...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Nov 22, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?aW5jb3Bhc3M=?=

    Frankster Guest

    Keeping your own wireless network secure is like wearing a condom. As long a
    you do your part you are safe (security enabled). No need to worry about
    what others do.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Nov 22, 2006
  5. "incopass" wrote:
    <...>
    > Is it possible this person piggy-backed onto my
    > network? If so, to what extent is my vulnerability?

    Even if you see some AP in the air, your traffic will never go thru it
    unless you connect to it. If you use good encryption (WPA2+AES), only the
    connected AP sees your traffic decrypted, and can send data packets
    to your machine.

    Anybody else can listen to your (encrypted) traffic in the air -
    but they will not be able to send anything to you.

    Of course, there can be bugs and vulnerabilities in the WLAN device
    driver that may let the attacker to send you data and/or break the
    crypto, but this is another story...

    > If I drove around my area with my laptop could I possibly
    > determine the source of Linksys be monitoring the signal strength?

    Yes

    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Nov 22, 2006
  6. Hi

    Linksys is the default name for Wireless Cable/DSL Router that is sold by
    (guess what;) ) Linksys.

    If your Wireless Network is secured, and other around you are Not it has
    nothing to do with your Network, and it does not compromise your network.

    So secure your network and let others worry about their networks.

    Why I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network
    display?

    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal

    WEP, WPA, and WPA2 - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).