    Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking it
    out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in the arse to
    dismantle it in the place it is!

    Dee, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Dee

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Dee" <> wrote in
    news:bunu4m$rlf$:

    > Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking
    > it out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in
    > the arse to dismantle it in the place it is!

    In Device Manager look under "Network Adapters" to see if there are any
    Ethernet controllers/cards. Alternatively, look on the back of the machine
    to see if there is a small jack that looks kinda like a phone jack, but
    isn't a phone jack.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Dee

    Dee Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Dee" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking
    > > it out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in
    > > the arse to dismantle it in the place it is!
    > >

    > In Device Manager look under "Network Adapters" to see if there are any
    > Ethernet controllers/cards. Alternatively, look on the back of the

    machine
    > to see if there is a small jack that looks kinda like a phone jack, but
    > isn't a phone jack.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    In network adaptors it says 1394 Net adaptor - is that a network card? Also
    got a firewire card. Do I still need an Ethernet?

    Dee, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Dee

    George Guest

    No, IEEE-1394 is a firewire card (Sony calls it i-link, all the same thing).
    Re: do you need a network card...that depends on what you want to do.

    The most common use for firewire right now is to transfer large amounts of
    data (digital video or digital photos). It is also gaining momentum in
    industrial usage for controlling newly-designed test instrumentation.

    Network cards are usually used to allow your computer to share resources
    (files, printers, Internet connection) with other computers. (There is also
    test instrumentation that is controlled via network connections.)

    George, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Dee

    Thor Guest

    If the card is present, and the drivers are installed, then yes you should
    see an entry for it under "network adapters" in the device manager. Don't
    confuse it with the "dialup adapter" which may also be present under that
    category if the machine has a modem.

    Thor, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Dee

    Thor Guest

    "Dee" <> wrote in message

    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > > "Dee" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking
    > > > it out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in
    > > > the arse to dismantle it in the place it is!
    > > >

    > > In Device Manager look under "Network Adapters" to see if there are any
    > > Ethernet controllers/cards. Alternatively, look on the back of the

    > machine
    > > to see if there is a small jack that looks kinda like a phone jack, but
    > > isn't a phone jack.
    > >
    > > --
    > > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > > website: under construction
    > > Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    > > email/IM for rates/services

    > In network adaptors it says 1394 Net adaptor - is that a network card?

    Also
    > got a firewire card. Do I still need an Ethernet?

    The 1394 device is firewire. Since it would appear that you do not have an
    ethernet card, to make things simple, you could avoid opening up the thing
    entirely, and just get a USB network adapter. It plugs into your USB port,
    and then you will have a network adapter without installing an internal
    network card.

    Thor, Jan 22, 2004