Network card works once, then never again

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?bG9yZW5qZXJpY2tzb24=?=, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. I just built a new 64-bit system based on an ASUS A8V motherboard and an AMD
    Athlon 3500+. I've got WinXP x64 installed on a SATA drive (no small feat,
    apparently), and everything works great, except…. I'm seeing a very weird
    problem with my network card. The motherboard has onboard LAN, so I tried
    that first. The drivers installed just fine and I got onto the
    Internet…once. I connected to Windows Update and downloaded all the latest
    updates. Then I rebooted, and the network connection never worked again.
    WinXP reports that the device is working normally, but the card fails to get
    an IP address from the router/dhcp server. (This is a home network.) I have
    another computer that is also hard-wired to the router and it consistently
    obtains a network connection, so I'm pretty sure it's not the router.

    I thought it might be a problem with the motherboard, so I bought a wireless
    card (Lynksys) and installed it. WinXP didn't recognize the card at first,
    but I'd read online that if that fails you should try drivers from Ralink
    whose chipset is used in some Linksys cards. I downloaded those drivers and
    used them to install the device. WinXP complained that it couldn't verify
    that the drivers would work with this device, but I tried it anyway. The
    device was recognized, and it worked great…once. I chose to use my newly
    re-established network connection to download more updates from windows
    update, and after the reboot the network connection was lost (again). In
    this case the wireless card would not even locate the wireless router, which
    is sitting right next to the new computer. WinXP reports that the wireless
    card is working correctly.

    It's very strange that I would essentially the same problem with two
    different network cards. I'm trying to pare this problem down to common
    denominators, but it's pretty tough. Motherboard? OS? Router? My next step
    is to connect the onboard LAN directly to the cable modem to try to eliminate
    the router. Do you have any insight on this problem?
    =?Utf-8?B?bG9yZW5qZXJpY2tzb24=?=, Jan 11, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bG9yZW5qZXJpY2tzb24=?=

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, I'm running the same motherboard with a D-Link DSL-G624M wireless ADSL
    router. I've never had any problems with the network card and X64, also
    installed onto Sata drives, which, incidentlly, was very simple and easy to
    do, so I'm wondering as too whether it is your router. You don't actually
    say what make or model it is, that could possibly help us quite a bit,
    however, have you tried a search in google for any issues with X64 and that
    router?
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Jan 11, 2006

  3. My router is a Lynksys WRT54G. Very common device. The wireless card I
    tried is also a Lynksys 54g model. The router provides IP addresses for
    other computers (running 32-bit WinXP Home/Pro) on this network both wired
    and wireless, so I don't think it's a problem in the router by itself. I
    will google for x64 and wrt54g to see what's out there, if anything.

    =?Utf-8?B?bG9yZW5qZXJpY2tzb24=?=, Jan 11, 2006
  4. I've got the same router as you, hooked up to three wire-networked PC's (2
    x64, 1 XP x86) which connects wireless to my x86 notebook and activesyncs
    with my iPaq 4150 pocket pc with no problems.
    Have not tested it with x64 wireless though.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jan 11, 2006
  5. Depending on which version of the WRT54G you have, a firmware update might
    solve the problem.

    See your local Linksys site for relevant firmware updates.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 11, 2006
  6. This is the Linksys donwload page:
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...835852&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    Choose your product from the dropdown list.
    I have made a couple of firmware updates to my WRT54G router downloading
    files from there.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jan 11, 2006