Network card disabled after auto update of XP Service pack 3

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RFH, Jun 14, 2009.

  1. RFH

    RFH Guest

    My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated itself
    on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
    (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon (beacon
    looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
    disappeared.

    Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
    night - to no avail.

    Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver files
    and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has installed -
    it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file anywhere
    to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my head
    off a wall!

    Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be grateful.

    Thanks.

    RFH, Jun 14, 2009

  2. RFH

    Pavel A. Guest

    Try HP support. If Windows was preinstalled on the laptop,
    they are in charge.

    -- pa

    Pavel A., Jun 14, 2009

  3. RFH

    Tae Song Guest

    "RFH" <> wrote in message
    > My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated
    > itself
    > on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
    > (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon
    > (beacon
    > looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
    > disappeared.
    >
    > Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
    > night - to no avail.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver
    > files
    > and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has
    > installed -
    > it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file
    > anywhere
    > to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my
    > head
    > off a wall!
    >
    > Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be
    > grateful.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Start ->
    Connect to ->
    Show all connections

    This will bring up a window showing network connections...

    Right click on the wireless and select properties...

    This will open a smaller window, at the bottom portion there will be two
    check boxes...

    Show icon in notification area when connected
    Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

    I think it's self explanatory from there.

    Tae Song, Jun 14, 2009
  4. RFH

    RFH Guest

    cannot do this as wireless icons and files have disappeared/been disabled.
    it has been totally fine until the update - i need to find out how to enable
    it, but thanks for replying :)

    RFH, Jun 14, 2009
  5. Hi
    Wireless card can be disables Physically. I.e., its electricity is turned
    Off to it.
    Check the Laptop Manual and make sure that the switch is On and the Wireless
    is alive.
    If it is On you have to check Vista's Device Manger and make sure that there
    is a Valid Wireless card with good Drivers.
    I do not have at hand screen Shoot for Vista, but the following page
    describe the principle of what to look for in Win XP. The same principle
    apply to Vista only the Location of the menus are in a different place.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jun 14, 2009
  6. RFH

    RFH Guest

    My laptop is XP, wireless switch is on, the network card is disabled/not
    visible still.

    RFH, Jun 15, 2009
  7. RFH

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Since you indicated that your Driver/Utility is running try to disable the
    WALN Auto Config service in the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
    Only one Wireless utility should run at one time.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Jun 16, 2009
  8. RFH

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jun 15, 4:38 pm, RFH <> wrote:
    > My laptop is XP, wireless switch is on, the network card is disabled/not
    > visible still.
    >
    > "Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > Wireless card can be disables Physically. I.e., its electricity is turned
    > > Off to it.
    > > Check the Laptop Manual and make sure that the switch is On and the Wireless
    > > is alive.
    > > If it is On you have to check Vista's Device Manger and make sure that there
    > > is a Valid Wireless card with good Drivers.
    > > I do not have at hand screen Shoot for Vista, but the following page
    > > describe the principle of what to look for in Win XP. The same principle
    > > apply to Vista only the Location of the menus are in a different place.
    > >http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    > > "RFH" <> wrote in message
    > > > My HP laptop, which has a built in wireless network card auto updated
    > > > itself
    > > > on Thurs night with XP service pack 3, after doing so my network card/wifi
    > > > (the 802.11?/WLAN part of it) has been disabled and the little icon
    > > > (beacon
    > > > looking thing) that is normally in the tray at bottom right hand side, has
    > > > disappeared.

    > > > Spent the best part of 2 hours on phone with guy from microsoft on Friday
    > > > night - to no avail.

    > > > Does anyone know how to enable it - i have went throught to the diver
    > > > files
    > > > and reinstalled the 802.11 driver/utility although it says it has
    > > > installed -
    > > > it still is disabled - cannot find the wireless connection icon/file
    > > > anywhere
    > > > to try and enable it - have turned off all firewall etc...now banging my
    > > > head
    > > > off a wall!

    > > > Not very computer literate - so if someone has any ideas, i would be
    > > > grateful.

    > > > Thanks.

    Use the bundled CDs to re-install the wireless adapter drivers and
    WLan tool.

    smlunatick, Jun 16, 2009