Network Card Dilemma

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mcp6453, Apr 17, 2004.

  1. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    I have three almost new IBM 6678 computers that were donated to a
    non-profit organization. When the first one was installed, it worked
    fine for a couple of days. I then had to go in and replace the onboard
    network card with a PCI unit. It has worked fine since. The second one
    is on the bench getting its updates and such, and it works fine. Then I
    put the third one on the bench. When I first booted it, it had the
    onboard Ethernet and a plug in Token Ring card. When I opened IE the
    first time, I believe the default MSN page showed up.

    I removed the Token Ring card and rebooted the computer. Now it will not
    connect to the Internet. The onboard Ethernet card says that it is in
    the 10 MB mode although it is connected to a 100 MB router. I disabled
    the onboard card and installed a 3COM PCI card. Now it works fine.

    My intuition tells me that the likelihood of getting two almost new
    computers with bad NICs is very low. Updated drivers did not solve the
    problem. I'm probably not going to spend any more time troubleshooting
    the problem, unless someone has a suggestion as to what the problem is,
    but I am sure suspicious that something is going on besides a bad NIC.

    mcp6453, Apr 17, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    Did you load the OS clean or is there proprietary software on the machine?

    Michael-NC, Apr 17, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:

    > Did you load the OS clean or is there proprietary software on the machine?

    Clean

    mcp6453, Apr 18, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    Try the NICs you pulled in the machine that still works. Then you should
    know.

    Michael-NC, Apr 18, 2004