    I am running windows xp and am at a loss as to what is going wrong.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Jackie

    jackie, Jan 22, 2004

  2. jackie

    Najou Guest

    "jackie" <> schreef in bericht
    news:hQNPb.23450$...
    > I am networking 2 computers and I keep getting told that my network cable

    is
    > unplugged......
    >
    > I have tried a new crossover cable and a new network card but nothing

    seems
    > to help.
    >
    > I am running windows xp and am at a loss as to what is going wrong.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >

    > Jackie

    Try a cat.5 crosscable......

    Najou

    Najou, Jan 22, 2004

  3. jackie

    jackie Guest

    Thats what I am using at the moment....

    jackie, Jan 22, 2004
  4. jackie

    Najou Guest

    "jackie" <> schreef in bericht
    > Thats what I am using at the moment....

    Then, I am afraid it is a protocol problem.
    Did you install all the clients, wizards and protocols XP is advising you?

    Najou

    Najou, Jan 22, 2004
  5. jackie

    jackie Guest

    "Najou" <> wrote in message

    > "jackie" <> schreef in bericht
    > > Thats what I am using at the moment....
    > >

    > Then, I am afraid it is a protocol problem.
    > Did you install all the clients, wizards and protocols XP is advising you?
    >
    > Najou

    I think so... I have done everything XP has told me to do... the other
    computer is fine and green light is on but this one nothing....

    jackie, Jan 22, 2004
  6. jackie

    Najou Guest

    Oh?
    No light?
    Did you check the BIOS?
    Are all the PCI slots working?

    Najou, Jan 22, 2004
  7. jackie

    Najou Guest

    > > Then, I am afraid it is a protocol problem.
    > > Did you install all the clients, wizards and protocols XP is advising

    you?

    > > Najou
    > >

    > I think so... I have done everything XP has told me to do... the other
    > computer is fine and green light is on but this one nothing....

    Did you try to connect through a peer-to-peer protocol?

    Najou

    Najou, Jan 22, 2004
  8. jackie

    jackie Guest

    Enabled all PCI slots and I also have an onboard LAN and it is doing the
    same thing....... no lights and cable unplugged....

    jackie

    jackie, Jan 22, 2004
  9. jackie

    jackie Guest

    "Najou" <> wrote in message

    > > > Then, I am afraid it is a protocol problem.
    > > > Did you install all the clients, wizards and protocols XP is advising

    > you?
    > > >
    > > > Najou
    > > >

    > > I think so... I have done everything XP has told me to do... the other
    > > computer is fine and green light is on but this one nothing....
    > >

    > Did you try to connect through a peer-to-peer protocol?
    >
    > Najou

    Sorry but I am not sure what you mean....

    jackie

    jackie, Jan 22, 2004
  10. jackie

    Rob K Guest

    jackie wrote:
    > I am networking 2 computers and I keep getting told that my network cable is
    > unplugged......

    Check your link speed and duplex mode.

    Open Network Connections, right click > Properties.
    "General" Tab, where it says "Connect using", >> Configure.

    "Advanced" tab, ---> Link speed and duplex mode.

    Assuming you use a 'network card' in both machines : 100 full is
    *usually* a good choice.

    HTH

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Jan 22, 2004
  11. jackie

    jackie Guest

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    > jackie wrote:
    > > I am networking 2 computers and I keep getting told that my network

    cable is
    > > unplugged......
    > >

    > Check your link speed and duplex mode.
    >
    > Open Network Connections, right click > Properties.
    > "General" Tab, where it says "Connect using", >> Configure.
    >
    > "Advanced" tab, ---> Link speed and duplex mode.
    >
    > Assuming you use a 'network card' in both machines : 100 full is
    > *usually* a good choice.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Tried all the ones available and still no luck...
    Might sound stupid but do I need a Network address???

    Jackie

    jackie, Jan 22, 2004
  12. jackie

    Rob K Guest

    jackie wrote:
    > "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    >> jackie wrote:
    >>> I am networking 2 computers and I keep getting told that my network cable
    >>> is unplugged......
    >>>

    >> Check your link speed and duplex mode.
    >>
    >> Open Network Connections, right click > Properties.
    >> "General" Tab, where it says "Connect using", >> Configure.
    >>
    >> "Advanced" tab, ---> Link speed and duplex mode.
    >>
    >> Assuming you use a 'network card' in both machines : 100 full is
    >> *usually* a good choice.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> --
    >> My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    >>

    > Tried all the ones available and still no luck...
    > Might sound stupid but do I need a Network address???
    >
    > Jackie

    Eh ..no.

    You use two cards, right ? And on-board LAN is disabled - or ??
    Another possibility is that the card where the green light is off is
    not properly seated - so re-seating may be worth a try.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Jan 22, 2004
  13. jackie

    Harrison Guest

    Without the green lights, you do not have a physical connection.
    Messing with protocols and software settings is pointless until the
    light comes on.
    Recheck the card to make sure it's seated, try another slot. Is it
    showing up OK in device manager?
    Are you SURE you have a crossover cable?
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/14-g_small.gif

    Harrison, Jan 22, 2004
  14. Howdy!

    "jackie" <> wrote in message
    > I am networking 2 computers and I keep getting told that my network cable

    is
    > unplugged......
    >
    > I have tried a new crossover cable and a new network card but nothing

    seems
    > to help.
    >
    > I am running windows xp and am at a loss as to what is going wrong.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Pick up a cheap hub or switch and a pair of regular cables, and use
    that instead.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 23, 2004
  15. jackie

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You do not have the right cable. Verify that it is indeed a crossover cable.

    pcbutts1, Jan 23, 2004