Network Cable Is Unplugged <- ???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by English Patient, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. I have a computer running Windows XP. I have recently joined AOL Broadband.
    I now connect to the internet via a USB port -> ASDL Modem -> Filet -> Master Phone
    Socket
    ( with the filter allowing me to use my phone whilst on-line )
    I have only one computer and am the only user.
    And all cables are pushed in!

    I go on-line and am successfully loading-up web-pages, then I get a balloon pop-up
    message saying "A Network Cable Is Unplugged", and my transfer rate drops to 0.

    Opening up my Network Connections folder I see the following under LAN or
    Highspeed Internet.

    Name - Local Area Connection 2
    Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
    Status - Network Cable Unplugged
    Device Name - Globe Span USB ADSL Lan Modem

    Name - 1394 Connection
    Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
    Status - Connected
    Device Name - 1394 Net Adapter

    Name - Local Area Connection
    Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
    Status - Disabled
    Device Name - Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

    After about a minute the status of Local Area Connection 2 turns to:
    "Acquiring Network Address"
    and then after a bit more waiting, turns to: "Connected"

    And my transfer rate returns to normal.

    Until less than 5 minutes later when the pop-up balloon comes back and
    everything repeats itself

    I have Googled for "Network Cable (is) Unplugged" and found many-many
    people having the same pop-up. But advice given to them involves NICs(?) and
    other technical terms which go way over my head.

    I have Norton Security 2005, Spybot and Ad-Aware, all up-to-date and v.recently run.

    Can anyone help ?

    EP.

    English Patient, Jun 28, 2005

  2. English Patient

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:48:02 +0100, English Patient wrote:

    >I have a computer running Windows XP. I have recently joined AOL Broadband.
    >I now connect to the internet via a USB port -> ASDL Modem -> Filet -> Master Phone
    >Socket
    >( with the filter allowing me to use my phone whilst on-line )
    >I have only one computer and am the only user.
    >And all cables are pushed in!
    >
    >I go on-line and am successfully loading-up web-pages, then I get a balloon pop-up
    >message saying "A Network Cable Is Unplugged", and my transfer rate drops to 0.

    Or Windows 2000, isn't that MS just trying to be very helpful?

    >Opening up my Network Connections folder I see the following under LAN or
    >Highspeed Internet.
    >
    >Name - Local Area Connection 2
    >Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
    >Status - Network Cable Unplugged
    >Device Name - Globe Span USB ADSL Lan Modem
    >
    >Name - 1394 Connection
    >Type - LAN or Highspeed Internet
    >Status - Connected
    >Device Name - 1394 Net Adapter

    Are you using the 1394 connection, otherwise yiu should be able to set
    that to Disabled as well.

    <snip>

    >After about a minute the status of Local Area Connection 2 turns to:
    >"Acquiring Network Address"
    >and then after a bit more waiting, turns to: "Connected"
    >
    >And my transfer rate returns to normal.
    >
    >Until less than 5 minutes later when the pop-up balloon comes back and
    >everything repeats itself

    That's a bit quick.

    >I have Googled for "Network Cable (is) Unplugged" and found many-many
    >people having the same pop-up. But advice given to them involves NICs(?) and

    NICs is easy (basically the 3 devices you mentioned above) -
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/n/network_interface_card_NIC.html

    >other technical terms which go way over my head.

    So you don't bother posting some of the URL to make it easier to try and
    explain things?

    www.google.com search finds

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1046542322
    3 of the posts says a fix was found.

    Looking at other posts it's mentioned to manually set the speed and
    duplex of the NIC rather than using autodetect.

    http://webopedia.com/TERM/f/full_duplex.html

    See the guide
    http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/comp/winnt/faq/networking/NIC_speed.htm
    on setting the values on the advanced tab properties sheet.

    Of course you have to know the settings you need first.

    >I have Norton Security 2005, Spybot and Ad-Aware, all up-to-date and v.recently run.

    See what you said above re Google

    Me

    why?, Jun 28, 2005

  3. English Patient

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Ditch the USB nic and get Ethernet. Call AOL for the equipment.

    pcbutts1, Jun 28, 2005
  4. English Patient

    Plato Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    > Ditch the USB nic and get Ethernet. Call AOL for the equipment.

    Which is what the cable techs do if you had to call them.

    Plato, Jun 28, 2005