Network Bridge woes

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Broady, May 12, 2005.

  1. Broady

    Broady Guest

    Hi all,
    I'm having problems getting the network bridge option in windows xp to work
    correctly.

    PC 1: Wireless (static ip 192.168.0.21 255.255.255.0) connects to wireless
    router (static 192.168.0.11 - which in turn connects to ADSL router
    192.168.0.10). This configuration works fine and I have no problem
    connecting to the Internet. This PC also has a wired connection with a
    static ip address of 192.167.0.10 mask 255.255.255.0

    PC 2: Wired connection only with a static ip of 192.167.0.11 mask
    255.255.255.0. The wired network works correctly. I want this pc to be able
    to access the Internet using the others' wireless connection, i.e. using PC
    1 as a bridge.

    I initially had the problem that the wireless connection stopped working
    when joined to the bridge but I solved this by manually forcing
    compatibility mode. What happens now however is when the bridge is created
    it has an ip address of 0.0.0.0 (I have no DHCP) and consequently there is
    no connectivity from the bridge. I have manually assigned an IP address to
    the bridge and all three connections show as 'connected' in the network
    connections. BUT, no matter what IP adress I give the bridge, I receive a
    windows system error that there is a duplicate ip address on the network as
    soon as I try to use the internet! There are no other machines on the
    network so there definitely isnt a conflict and I'm at a loss as to what is
    happening here. I have so far tried about a dozen different ip addresses but
    always with the same result.

    ANy help would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers,
    Steve