    Its me Guest

    Hi
    I have added a third PC to a network

    #3 can see #1+2

    #1 can see #2

    #2 can see #1

    What should I be checking so #1+2 can see #3

    Many thanks in advance
    Stephen West
    Gold Coast Australia
    Its me, Jan 10, 2007

  2. Its me

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Its me wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have added a third PC to a network
    >
    > #3 can see #1+2
    >
    > #1 can see #2
    >
    > #2 can see #1
    >
    > What should I be checking so #1+2 can see #3
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    > Stephen West
    > Gold Coast Australia

    are you using PING to "see" each?

    do you have a sharable drive on #3?
    Rick Merrill, Jan 10, 2007

  3. Its me

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:42:05 GMT, "Its me" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >I have added a third PC to a network
    >
    >#3 can see #1+2
    >
    >#1 can see #2
    >
    >#2 can see #1
    >
    >What should I be checking so #1+2 can see #3

    Ok... These run some sort of operating system, which one is a mystery.
    They are also somehow connected by some device. Perhaps a hub? a
    router? A switch? They're wireless. Or wired. And apparently can't
    'see' each other.

    See? How can they not 'see' each other? Via Network Neighborhood,
    assuming you're using Windows? Via Ping?
    Evan Platt, Jan 10, 2007
  4. On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:42:05 +0000, Its me wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have added a third PC to a network
    >
    > #3 can see #1+2
    >
    > #1 can see #2
    >
    > #2 can see #1
    >
    > What should I be checking so #1+2 can see #3

    Turn the firewall on 3 off then try again. This is common if you are using
    Windows XP SP2 on a network machine.

    Just for the sake of asking... how are these machines connected? By
    Ethernet / Wireless to one of those little Home Routers - or through a
    switch?

    Also, are you running NT4/W2K/XP on all three machines?

    Intrepid Logic, Jan 10, 2007
  5. Its me

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:42:05 GMT, Its me wrote:

    >Hi
    >I have added a third PC to a network
    >
    >#3 can see #1+2
    >
    >#1 can see #2
    >
    >#2 can see #1
    >
    >What should I be checking so #1+2 can see #3

    What NOS/OS?

    Can see how?
    ping ip, or
    ping nodename, or
    something else?

    >Many thanks in advance
    >Stephen West
    >Gold Coast Australia

    Me
    why?, Jan 11, 2007
  6. Its me

    Its me Guest

    Thanks for the input so far-an update:

    #1+2 have always been networked no issue there
    #3 has been added

    #1+2 run Win 2000 professional
    # 3 runs XP sp2

    They are networked through a D-link Hub

    I have dropped the firewall on #3

    They all ping to each other

    -Stephen

    Its me, Jan 11, 2007
  7. Its me wrote:

    > Thanks for the input so far-an update:
    >
    > #1+2 have always been networked no issue there
    > #3 has been added
    >
    > #1+2 run Win 2000 professional
    > # 3 runs XP sp2
    >
    > They are networked through a D-link Hub
    >
    > I have dropped the firewall on #3
    >
    > They all ping to each other

    So you have a 2nd "firewall" on #3. Often preinstalled boxen come with a
    3-month version of norton "internet security" or even the recent antivirus
    with "worm blocker" does this. But far from any real knowledge about your
    systems, it is still just a guess.
    Walter Mautner, Jan 11, 2007
  8. Its me

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Its me wrote:
    > Thanks for the input so far-an update:
    >
    > #1+2 have always been networked no issue there
    > #3 has been added
    >
    > #1+2 run Win 2000 professional
    > # 3 runs XP sp2
    >
    > They are networked through a D-link Hub
    >
    > I have dropped the firewall on #3
    >
    > They all ping to each other
    >
    > -Stephen
    >

    > "Intrepid Logic" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:42:05 +0000, Its me wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>I have added a third PC to a network
    >>>
    >>>#3 can see #1+2
    >>>
    >>>#1 can see #2
    >>>
    >>>#2 can see #1
    >>>
    >>>What should I be checking so #1+2 can see #3

    If both 1 & 2 are Win 2K, then remove the Netbeui protocol off the NIC
    and make the protocols on the Win 2K NIC(s) match the protcols used on 3
    the XP machine's NIC.

    Or remove Netbeui off the Win 2K machine NIC(s) first, and then you can
    implement MS NWlink IPX/SPX on all NIC(s), Win 2k and XP machines

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm

    MS NWlink never fails.
    Mr. Arnold, Jan 11, 2007
  9. Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > If both 1 & 2 are Win 2K, then remove the Netbeui protocol off the NIC
    > and make the protocols on the Win 2K NIC(s) match the protcols used on 3
    > the XP machine's NIC.

    From OPs message I assume he used ping, so he already must have tcpip
    installed and know about the IP addresses of his machines. I rather guess
    the new XP box came preinstalled with one of these 3-month versions of
    norton "internet security" or even the virus scanner with "worm blocker".
    Which basically is a "desktop firewall" with little configurability.

    > Or remove Netbeui off the Win 2K machine NIC(s) first, and then you can
    > implement MS NWlink IPX/SPX on all NIC(s), Win 2k and XP machines

    Not introduce another (obsoleted) protocol when tcpip and netbios over it,
    is already established - except maybe for special purposes.
    Walter Mautner, Jan 11, 2007
  10. Its me

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Mr. Arnold wrote:

    >>If both 1 & 2 are Win 2K, then remove the Netbeui protocol off the NIC
    >>and make the protocols on the Win 2K NIC(s) match the protcols used on 3
    >>the XP machine's NIC.
    >>

    > From OPs message I assume he used ping, so he already must have tcpip
    > installed and know about the IP addresses of his machines. I rather guess
    > the new XP box came preinstalled with one of these 3-month versions of
    > norton "internet security" or even the virus scanner with "worm blocker".
    > Which basically is a "desktop firewall" with little configurability.

    And you know this for a fact how?

    >>Or remove Netbeui off the Win 2K machine NIC(s) first, and then you can
    >>implement MS NWlink IPX/SPX on all NIC(s), Win 2k and XP machines
    >>

    > Not introduce another (obsoleted) protocol when tcpip and netbios over it,
    > is already established - except maybe for special purposes.

    If it helps the machines see each other, than what's your point?

    I worked with a guy using a Linksys router wired with all XP machines.
    None of the machines could network until he implemented to MS NWlink
    and then they could network.

    Bottom line here is whatever works in a given situation.

    I suggest you mind your own business and stay out of mine, if that's
    possible for you.

    You're no one as far as I am concerned and what you're saying is moot as
    far as I am concerned.
    Mr. Arnold, Jan 11, 2007
  11. Its me

    Death10 Guest

    Re: Two fuckwits having a conversation... (Re: Network Basic Problem)

    Death10 <""Death10\"@The Door@No Hope10.com">, the squelched builder,
    effused:

    Death10, Jan 12, 2007