    is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
    say 24 hours?
    Thanks
    Molecule, Nov 9, 2006

  2. Molecule

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Molecule wrote:
    > Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
    > At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
    > that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
    > whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
    > is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
    > say 24 hours?
    > Thanks

    It sounds to me that your flatmate's machine may have some kind of
    malware running on it that's sucking up the bandwidth. I have seen that
    situation on a small business owner's LAN, when one of the employee's
    machines joined the network. When the machine was switched on and joined
    the network, the network came to a crawl. The machine had an
    undiscovered Trojan running on it that was phoning home, sucking up the
    bandwidth.

    Long

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...d_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Short

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    If you can get the person to install some of the tools in the link
    above, such as Active Ports and Process Explorer, you can look around
    and see if you can spot something.

    Duane :)
    Mr. Arnold, Nov 9, 2006

  3. Molecule

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:06:22 +0000, Molecule Has Frothed:

    > Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running
    > xp. At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my
    > flatmates that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is
    > on the whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my
    > question: is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a
    > period of time, say 24 hours?
    > Thanks

    Can your router export bandwidth data?

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 9, 2006
  4. Molecule

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:06:22 GMT, Molecule wrote:

    Oh no not again, and again.

    Read the many past posts in 24HSHD with answers to the same question.

    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?lnk=gschg

    >Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
    >At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
    >that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
    >whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
    >is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
    >say 24 hours?
    >Thanks

    Me
    why?, Nov 9, 2006
  5. Molecule

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, Molecule Wrote The Following:
    > Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
    > At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
    > that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
    > whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
    > is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
    > say 24 hours?
    > Thanks

    This might get you started:
    http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/netflow/bandwidth-monitoring.html

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Nov 9, 2006
  6. Molecule

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, Molecule Wrote The Following:
    > Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
    > At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
    > that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
    > whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
    > is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
    > say 24 hours?
    > Thanks

    Here we go:
    http://www.bandwidthmonitorpro.com/

    Old Gringo, Nov 9, 2006
  7. Molecule

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, Molecule Wrote The Following:
    > Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
    > At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
    > that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
    > whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
    > is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
    > say 24 hours?
    > Thanks

    Another one of interest:
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/search?search=Bandwidth Monitor

    Old Gringo, Nov 9, 2006
  8. Molecule

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, Molecule Wrote The Following:
    > Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
    > At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
    > that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
    > whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
    > is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
    > say 24 hours?
    > Thanks

    This is cool, first one on the link above. I installed it and it's cool.
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/BandWidth_Monitor/1053527204/1

    Old Gringo, Nov 10, 2006
  9. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    Not sure, will look

    Molecule, Nov 10, 2006
  10. Molecule

    lee houston Guest

    > This is cool, first one on the link above. I installed it and it's cool.
    > http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/BandWidth_Monitor/1053527204/1
    >
    > --

    OG, the monitors you reference are for one computer only,
    not a local network of computers. If the OP can get the'
    'other' user to run the program and honestly report his traffic,
    it will be useful. However for the full picture, monitoring
    needs to be done at the router level to show which computer
    is hogging the connection.

    lee
    lee houston, Nov 10, 2006
  11. Molecule

    lee houston Guest

    lee houston, Nov 10, 2006
  12. Molecule

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, lee houston Wrote The Following:
    >> This is cool, first one on the link above. I installed it and it's cool.
    >> http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/BandWidth_Monitor/1053527204/1
    >>
    >> --

    > OG, the monitors you reference are for one computer only,
    > not a local network of computers. If the OP can get the'
    > 'other' user to run the program and honestly report his traffic,
    > it will be useful. However for the full picture, monitoring
    > needs to be done at the router level to show which computer
    > is hogging the connection.
    >
    > lee

    Thank You for clearing that up for me. Good information to keep in mind.

    Old Gringo, Nov 10, 2006
  13. Molecule

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, lee houston Wrote The Following:
    > A very handy tool for showing a windows pc traffic, now, average,
    > and total is NetStatLive. Free and resource stingy, it's gui is just a few
    > square inches of desktop space.
    >
    > http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

    Thanks for the link. It looks cool.

    Old Gringo, Nov 10, 2006
  14. Molecule

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:27:22 GMT, lee houston wrote:

    >> This is cool, first one on the link above. I installed it and it's cool.
    >> http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/BandWidth_Monitor/1053527204/1
    >>
    >> --

    >OG, the monitors you reference are for one computer only,
    >not a local network of computers. If the OP can get the'

    Isn't that just for a single PC only as well?

    >'other' user to run the program and honestly report his traffic,

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  15. Molecule

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:27:23 GMT, Molecule wrote:

    >Not sure, will look

    If it does there are other apps that may be handy.

    My very old Netgear RT314 has a Unix style syslog facility it will dump
    packet info to a syslog server (a little app run on a PC). There is a
    performance hit of course but it's only on to sample sometimes.

    The cable modem has the ability to access SNMP data, I use this with a
    graphing utility to see the total bandwidth in/out.

    If the PCs have the SNMP driver (very simple for Windows) installed each
    PC can be queried from 1 PC reading the data remotely and creates a
    graph for each PC.

    Getting graphs is easier than the more detailed what sites.

    The other thing I can do is plug a monitor PC into a repeater (it has to
    be a repeater) not a switch.

    ISP cable Modem - Repeater - Router - 4 PCs

    A PC that can look at all the traffic in a lot of detail is plugged into
    the repeater, or a filter set just for 1 PC.

    >"Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:06:22 +0000, Molecule Has Frothed:
    >>
    >>> Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running
    >>> xp. At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my
    >>> flatmates that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it
    >>> is
    >>> on the whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my

    A lot of that matters which person is the account holder doesn't it? It
    might be nice to share but that's all it is.

    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  16. Molecule

    lee houston Guest

    >>OG, the monitors you reference are for one computer only,
    >>not a local network of computers. If the OP can get the'

    > Isn't that just for a single PC only as well?
    > <snip>

    The 'snipped' portion acknowleges that. here's the paragraph
    again:

    > OG, the monitors you reference are for one computer only,
    > not a local network of computers. If the OP can get the'
    > 'other' user to run the program and honestly report his traffic,
    > it will be useful. However for the full picture, monitoring
    > needs to be done at the router level to show which computer
    > is hogging the connection.

    So if the OP can get his flatmate to run a bandwidth monitor
    on His pc, he'll tell if flatmate is 'bogarting the connection'.
    If flatmate is into lotsa downloads/uploads of peer-to-peer
    data, the connection could be swamped.

    Molecule, is the slowness at same time of day and only
    when your flatmate is online?

    lee
    lee houston, Nov 10, 2006
  17. Molecule

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:22:27 GMT, lee houston wrote:

    >>>OG, the monitors you reference are for one computer only,
    >>>not a local network of computers. If the OP can get the'

    >> Isn't that just for a single PC only as well?
    >> <snip>

    >The 'snipped' portion acknowleges that. here's the paragraph
    >again:

    I sort of figured that, (see my first reply to Molecule) I guess what I
    meant was you didn't quite make it clear that your suggestion was for a
    single PC as well, more so since you started with this -> "OG, the
    monitors you reference are for one computer only," then mention an app
    which falls into the exact same category. Instead of suggesting
    something that could be installed on a PC and report to another PC.

    >> OG, the monitors you reference are for one computer only,
    >> not a local network of computers. If the OP can get the'
    >> 'other' user to run the program and honestly report his traffic,
    >> it will be useful. However for the full picture, monitoring
    >> needs to be done at the router level to show which computer
    >> is hogging the connection.

    >So if the OP can get his flatmate to run a bandwidth monitor

    <snip repeated bit>
    You already suggested putting the app the mates computer.

    >Molecule, is the slowness at same time of day and only
    >when your flatmate is online?

    If you want to ask Molecule a question, why put it in a post to me?
    Reply to a Molecule post, a lot of peopole don't read bits of threads
    going off in a tangent , or not in direct reply to them.

    >lee

    Me
    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  18. Molecule

    lee houston Guest

    > If you want to ask Molecule a question, why put it in a post to me?
    > Reply to a Molecule post, a lot of peopole don't read bits of threads
    > going off in a tangent , or not in direct reply to them.

    The vast majority of the post was pertinent to Molecule as this
    to his/her problem, it's not much of a task for Molecule to
    read the entire thread. I know I would if I'd posted a question
    that I wanted answered.

    lee
    lee houston, Nov 10, 2006
  19. Molecule

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:44:39 GMT, lee houston wrote:

    >> If you want to ask Molecule a question, why put it in a post to me?
    >> Reply to a Molecule post, a lot of peopole don't read bits of threads
    >> going off in a tangent , or not in direct reply to them.
    >>

    >The vast majority of the post was pertinent to Molecule as this

    You really need to learn how to reply to the poster you want to converse
    with. How can your post be pertinent to Molecule when you haven't
    replied to any Molecule post? You have only replied to OG and Why?

    No it's not, take the last few posts for example, they aren't in
    response to the problem Moleculr raised, it's been comments regarding
    what you said, not what Molecule has asked.

    Why do you expect somonme else to go off and read what 8 posts now about
    150 lines long and expect them to know 2 of those lines in amongst all
    of that is a question directed to them?

    >to his/her problem, it's not much of a task for Molecule to

    That's only your view?

    >read the entire thread. I know I would if I'd posted a question
    >that I wanted answered.

    That's fine for you.

    >lee

    Me
    why?, Nov 11, 2006
  20. Molecule

    why? Guest

    Reposted with x--no--archive removed

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:44:39 GMT, lee houston wrote:

    >> If you want to ask Molecule a question, why put it in a post to me?
    >> Reply to a Molecule post, a lot of peopole don't read bits of threads
    >> going off in a tangent , or not in direct reply to them.
    >>

    >The vast majority of the post was pertinent to Molecule as this

    You really need to learn how to reply to the poster you want to converse
    with. How can your post be pertinent to Molecule when you haven't
    replied to any Molecule post? You have only replied to OG and Why?

    No it's not, take the last few posts for example, they aren't in
    response to the problem Moleculr raised, it's been comments regarding
    what you said, not what Molecule has asked.

    Why do you expect somonme else to go off and read what 8 posts now about
    150 lines long and expect them to know 2 of those lines in amongst all
    of that is a question directed to them?

    >to his/her problem, it's not much of a task for Molecule to

    That's only your view?

    >read the entire thread. I know I would if I'd posted a question
    >that I wanted answered.

    That's fine for you.

    >lee

    Me