Network Audit tools

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by al, May 2, 2004.

  1. al

    al Guest

    Hi all,
    We are looking for an effective, low cost tool that can provide basic
    network information [hardware and software inventory].
    Listed below are other potential features.
    1. Takes less than 2 hrs to run
    2. Has to present meaningful information automatically
    a. Conclusion page
    b. Identify future projects - draw conclusions
    c. To Do List
    3. Draw a network topology
    4. Information must be storable in order trend
    5. Run remotely
    6. Must collect info necessary to provide remote support
    7. Identify
    a. Security vulnerabilities
    b. Virus vulnerabilities
    Any ideas of products you like?
    Please advice.
    Thanks in advance,
    Al

    al, May 2, 2004

  2. Wow. Don't know of any low cost tool to do all that . Anyhow take a look at Languard
    and they have a time limited full feature download. The Microsoft Baseline Security
    Analyzer is free and though it can not do a lot of what you ask should also be
    considered as a valuable and free tool. --- Steve

    http://www.gfi.com/lannetscan/
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

    Steven L Umbach, May 2, 2004

  3. al

    Rowland Guest

    al wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >We are looking for an effective, low cost tool that can provide basic
    >network information [hardware and software inventory].
    >Listed below are other potential features.
    >1. Takes less than 2 hrs to run
    >2. Has to present meaningful information automatically
    >a. Conclusion page
    >b. Identify future projects - draw conclusions
    >c. To Do List
    >3. Draw a network topology
    >4. Information must be storable in order trend
    >5. Run remotely
    >6. Must collect info necessary to provide remote support
    >7. Identify
    >a. Security vulnerabilities
    >b. Virus vulnerabilities
    >Any ideas of products you like?
    >Please advice.
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Al

    nmap (http://www.insecure.org/) can be configured to do most of this,
    and it's free. It doesn't do all of it, but it might be good enough.

    --
    Spammers:

    Check out my Java, SQL and Python samples at http://rowland.blcss.com/
    For sale: Unique and energy efficient hobbit home in New Hampshire:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ego/rowland/mm.index.html

    Rowland, May 6, 2004
  4. al

    Dave Guest

    "al" <> wrote in message news:
    > We are looking for an effective, low cost tool that can provide basic
    > network information [hardware and software inventory].
    > Listed below are other potential features.
    > 1. Takes less than 2 hrs to run
    > 2. Has to present meaningful information automatically
    > a. Conclusion page
    > b. Identify future projects - draw conclusions
    > c. To Do List
    > 3. Draw a network topology
    > 4. Information must be storable in order trend
    > 5. Run remotely
    > 6. Must collect info necessary to provide remote support
    > 7. Identify
    > a. Security vulnerabilities
    > b. Virus vulnerabilities

    Quite high needs for lowcost software. It will be very hard to find
    such one.
    > Any ideas of products you like?

    Check the new version of NetCruch
    (http://www.adremsoft.com/netcrunch/index.php). Maybe you find