    about anything on the LAN, just access via WWW.

    Any opinions are welcome to understand my security risks here.

    Thank you!

    jtsnow, Feb 9, 2005

  2. jtsnow

    johns Guest

    I say take it down for now. I bought a Maxtor One
    Touch USB drive, and with it came a program called
    Retrospect. That program is designed to creat backup
    scripts that can be used to automate backups to network
    drives ( USB on a Linksys box ) of selected files on
    any group of computers. What I noticed immediatley
    is that Retrospect defeated the default port settings in
    WinXP Pro SP2, and turned them on. I now have
    access to Microsoft network shares like back in the
    good old Win95 days. Seriously, I have 100 shares
    in network neighborhood. I bought this little goodie
    at Office Depot. So can any kid playing around the
    net hunting for "shares".

    johns

    johns, Feb 9, 2005

  3. jtsnow

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:04:41 -0800, jtsnow wrote:

    > I have a Networ Attached Storage (NAS) device on home LAN behind a Linksys
    > router (w/firewall) connected full time to WWW.

    First flaw in scheme - there is no such device as a LINKSYS ROUTER WITH
    FIREWALL - All linksys units are NAT devices, they are not firewalls.

    I'm assuming that you didn't connect the NAS to the WWW, you just meant
    that your linksys is connected to the "internet" full time. (There is a
    LOT more to the internet than just web pages).

    > The NAS is a backup server
    > that controls a USB harddrive and backs up 4 PCs. The NAS is Linksys NSLU2
    > controlling a 250mb drive. I suppose this is the same issue with the
    > Buffalo units and any device that acts as a server on the LAN. The NSLU2 is
    > a Linux OS which I know nothing of.

    Since you don't have a firewall anything that compromises your internal
    network can basically do what it wants and send your data where it wants.
    The

    > How do I protect the disk contects on the NAS from being seen or tampered
    > with from someone on the WWW? Or is the firewall all I need? I not worried
    > about anything on the LAN, just access via WWW.

    You have several issues:

    1) Inbound traffic will be blocked by the NAT (not firewall) device unless
    requested from something INSIDE your network.

    2) If you forward inbound traffic from the internet INTO the local
    network, you need to reconsider, or you need to create a real DMZ for that
    service.

    3) Anything that compromises your network already has access to all of
    your network and since you don't have a firewall you can't block it
    getting back out with your data (or anything else).

    > Any opinions are welcome to understand my security risks here.

    You don't mention what OS the computers are running (other than the NAS)
    you don't mention what antivirus solution you run, you don't mention what
    network monitoring you have in place, you feel that a Linksys unit is a
    firewall for some reason (they are not), you should hire someone to
    perform an audit of your network and give you a formal result/plan to
    correct it.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Feb 9, 2005
  4. jtsnow

    jtsnow Guest

    not a clue what your talking about.....seems like a lot of drivel

    jtsnow, Feb 9, 2005
  5. jtsnow

    Leythos Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:41:14 -0800, jtsnow wrote:
    > not a clue what your talking about.....seems like a lot of drivel

    Rather than being rude and assuming, you might want to look at what was
    posted in the response and LEARN what you're missing.

    Or, are you so full of your own drivel that you don't need any real help?

    Leythos, Feb 10, 2005
  6. jtsnow

    jtsnow Guest

    your one of those people whose self worth is built upon your ability to
    convince anonomously others that your know what your talkin about.

    no speakie the techo dribble babble here....try somewhere else to build up
    your importance.

    jtsnow, Feb 10, 2005
  7. jtsnow

    Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:42:10 +0000, Leythos wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:04:41 -0800, jtsnow wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Networ Attached Storage (NAS) device on home LAN behind a Linksys
    >> router (w/firewall) connected full time to WWW.

    > First flaw in scheme - there is no such device as a LINKSYS ROUTER WITH
    > FIREWALL - All linksys units are NAT devices, they are not firewalls.
    >
    > I'm assuming that you didn't connect the NAS to the WWW, you just meant
    > that your linksys is connected to the "internet" full time. (There is a
    > LOT more to the internet than just web pages).
    >
    >> The NAS is a backup server
    >> that controls a USB harddrive and backs up 4 PCs. The NAS is Linksys NSLU2
    >> controlling a 250mb drive. I suppose this is the same issue with the
    >> Buffalo units and any device that acts as a server on the LAN. The NSLU2 is
    >> a Linux OS which I know nothing of.

    > Since you don't have a firewall anything that compromises your internal
    > network can basically do what it wants and send your data where it wants.
    > The
    >
    >> How do I protect the disk contects on the NAS from being seen or tampered
    >> with from someone on the WWW? Or is the firewall all I need? I not worried
    >> about anything on the LAN, just access via WWW.

    > You have several issues:
    >
    > 1) Inbound traffic will be blocked by the NAT (not firewall) device unless
    > requested from something INSIDE your network.
    >
    > 2) If you forward inbound traffic from the internet INTO the local
    > network, you need to reconsider, or you need to create a real DMZ for that
    > service.
    >
    > 3) Anything that compromises your network already has access to all of
    > your network and since you don't have a firewall you can't block it
    > getting back out with your data (or anything else).
    >
    >> Any opinions are welcome to understand my security risks here.

    > You don't mention what OS the computers are running (other than the NAS)
    > you don't mention what antivirus solution you run, you don't mention what
    > network monitoring you have in place, you feel that a Linksys unit is a
    > firewall for some reason (they are not), you should hire someone to
    > perform an audit of your network and give you a formal result/plan to
    > correct it.

    Listen buddy, if you do not know what you are talking about
    please do not post. It confuses the #!%@* out of users
    especially new ones.
    Check this link out
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5

    , Feb 10, 2005
  8. jtsnow

    Leythos Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:13:17 -0500, steve wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:42:10 +0000, Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:04:41 -0800, jtsnow wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Networ Attached Storage (NAS) device on home LAN behind a Linksys
    >>> router (w/firewall) connected full time to WWW.

    >> First flaw in scheme - there is no such device as a LINKSYS ROUTER WITH
    >> FIREWALL - All linksys units are NAT devices, they are not firewalls.
    >>
    >> I'm assuming that you didn't connect the NAS to the WWW, you just meant
    >> that your linksys is connected to the "internet" full time. (There is a
    >> LOT more to the internet than just web pages).
    >>
    >>> The NAS is a backup server
    >>> that controls a USB harddrive and backs up 4 PCs. The NAS is Linksys NSLU2
    >>> controlling a 250mb drive. I suppose this is the same issue with the
    >>> Buffalo units and any device that acts as a server on the LAN. The NSLU2 is
    >>> a Linux OS which I know nothing of.

    >> Since you don't have a firewall anything that compromises your internal
    >> network can basically do what it wants and send your data where it wants.
    >> The
    >>
    >>> How do I protect the disk contects on the NAS from being seen or tampered
    >>> with from someone on the WWW? Or is the firewall all I need? I not worried
    >>> about anything on the LAN, just access via WWW.

    >> You have several issues:
    >>
    >> 1) Inbound traffic will be blocked by the NAT (not firewall) device unless
    >> requested from something INSIDE your network.
    >>
    >> 2) If you forward inbound traffic from the internet INTO the local
    >> network, you need to reconsider, or you need to create a real DMZ for that
    >> service.
    >>
    >> 3) Anything that compromises your network already has access to all of
    >> your network and since you don't have a firewall you can't block it
    >> getting back out with your data (or anything else).
    >>
    >>> Any opinions are welcome to understand my security risks here.

    >> You don't mention what OS the computers are running (other than the NAS)
    >> you don't mention what antivirus solution you run, you don't mention what
    >> network monitoring you have in place, you feel that a Linksys unit is a
    >> firewall for some reason (they are not), you should hire someone to
    >> perform an audit of your network and give you a formal result/plan to
    >> correct it.

    > Listen buddy, if you do not know what you are talking about
    > please do not post. It confuses the #!%@* out of users
    > especially new ones.
    > Check this link out
    > http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5

    I could have made a mistake about his specific situation, but I would not
    have posted if I had not felt I was making a mistake. I will check the
    link and then correct myself if needed.

    As for NAS, since it's on his network, if a system inside his network is
    comproised, then it can reach his NAS device too - what part was hard to
    understand about that?

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Feb 10, 2005
  9. jtsnow

    jtsnow Guest

    no crap...that guy is major dweeboid.....

    go impress you buddies at Fry's. they are all 1/2 gene short of a full
    deck......you should be able to impress them

    jtsnow, Feb 10, 2005
  10. jtsnow

    Leythos Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:54:48 -0800, jtsnow wrote:
    > no crap...that guy is major dweeboid.....

    So, show me where I said anything incorrect - unless you don't understand
    security yourself.

    Leythos, Feb 10, 2005
  11. jtsnow

    Gladys Pump Guest

    On 2005-02-10, Leythos <> typed:
    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:54:48 -0800, jtsnow wrote:
    >> no crap...that guy is major dweeboid.....

    > So, show me where I said anything incorrect - unless you don't understand
    > security yourself.

    Hey Leythos, I'd leave it. Kill-file the troll and let's move on.

    Regards,

    Gladys.

    --
    Fortune says :

    66.7 percent of statistics are made up on the spot. - Vic Reeves.

    Gladys Pump, Feb 10, 2005
  12. jtsnow

    John Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:04:41 -0800, jtsnow wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Networ Attached Storage (NAS) device on home LAN behind a Linksys
    >>router (w/firewall) connected full time to WWW.

    > First flaw in scheme - there is no such device as a LINKSYS ROUTER WITH
    > FIREWALL - All linksys units are NAT devices, they are not firewalls.

    I guess this guy confuses marketing babble from Linksys with technical
    information.

    "The Linksys Bla bla Router with bla Switch is the perfect option to
    connect multiple PCs to a high-speed Broadband Internet connection or to
    an Ethernet back-bone. Allowing up to 253 users, the built-in NAT
    technology acts as a firewall protecting your internal network."

    He really doesn't seem to have a clue about security, and the same seems
    to be the case with the LinkSys marketeers.

    To mr. or ms. jtsnow:
    As long as insecure OSses, browsers, e-mail clients (and users) are in
    your LAN, a NAT solution is not enough. A *real* firewall solution is
    necessary in such a situation.

    If inbound connections are to be allowed, also a DMZ should be
    considered (and used).

    So this advise

    "you should hire someone to perform an audit of your network and give
    you a formal result/plan to correct it"

    is indeed the sanest you can get.

    Groetjes
    John