    still access all the computers, whether they show up on the list or
    not. But why do they disappear from the list?

    Any ideas?

    dogbreath, May 10, 2006

  2. dogbreath

    dogbreath Guest

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 10:08:05 -0700, dogbreath <>
    wrote:

    >I have several computers on an XP Home network. Works fine. I can
    >access every computer from every other computer. But when I go to "My
    >Network Places" and click on "View workgroup computers", there's only
    >one computer listed. If I do a restart on one of the other computers,
    >it right away shows up on the workgroup list, but later, when I look
    >again, it's gone. Just that same one computer is on the list. I can
    >still access all the computers, whether they show up on the list or
    >not. But why do they disappear from the list?
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Well since no one responded I'll share what I've found from other
    sources. I don't know why more people aren't having this problem.
    It's all magic, I guess.

    The problem goes away if you set all the computers up with static IP
    addresses. It also goes away if you go into Local Area Connection
    Properties - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties - Advanced TCP/IP
    Settings - WINS tab, and change the NetBIOS setting from Default to
    Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. I believe both fixes have the same
    effect, namely, to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. I don't know why that
    works.

    I believe the phrase "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" refers to a "stack" of
    network software in the OSI model. Which I also never understood.

    It's all magic.

    dogbreath, May 19, 2006