    virus.
    Is this type of thing common for network techs, looks like a bit of a rushed
    job (its only a small network)

    Steve Robertson, May 5, 2004

  2. Steve Robertson

    Steven H Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 07:59:18 GMT, Steve Robertson wrote:

    > Is this type of thing common for network techs, looks like a bit of a rushed
    > job (its only a small network)

    nope, your "network tech" is a moron - fire him

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek

    Steven H, May 5, 2004

  3. Steve Robertson

    steve Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:

    > Is this type of thing common for network techs, looks like a bit of a rushed
    > job (its only a small network)

    He sounds like a dickhead.

    What did your boss say when you explained why you weren't getting any
    work done?

    steve, May 5, 2004
  4. Steve Robertson

    Steve Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > Weve got a new (outsourced)network administrator.
    > When installing new ADSL router he left the internet down from lunchtime
    > till the next day, a temp internet setup wouldnt have taken long surely, he
    > could have used the old router. Its a long time to be without company email,
    > online purchasing etc.
    > Decided a p2 was too old & would be taken off the network (reasonable:didnt
    > want Win98 for security reasons) Didnt inform the user (me). Didnt ask if
    > network access was important for the PC/user. 3 days later & I cant do
    > purchase orders or invoicing(I would think invoicing may be important). No
    > attempt made to find some type of work around, ie temp network access untill a
    > replacement PC is found, or acess/logon to another PC. No timeframe given for
    > fixing this.
    > Network printing was not checked, one PC was setup with USA as region so the
    > 1st order printed to downstairs errored the printer stopping all further
    > printing until the "letter size" error was noticed. One users documents were
    > well hidden( for her) under her old(now unused) logon "doc & settings".
    > Laptop not updated with latest win patches so, suprise, it gets the latest
    > virus.
    > Is this type of thing common for network techs, looks like a bit of a rushed
    > job (its only a small network)

    I wouldn't really think that paying him would be necessary. All of the
    above is just plain poor workmanship, nothing less.

    Steve

    Steve, May 5, 2004
  5. Steve Robertson wrote:
    > Weve got a new (outsourced)network administrator.
    > When installing new ADSL router he left the internet down from lunchtime
    > till the next day, a temp internet setup wouldnt have taken long surely, he
    > could have used the old router. Its a long time to be without company email,
    > online purchasing etc.
    > Decided a p2 was too old & would be taken off the network (reasonable:didnt
    > want Win98 for security reasons) Didnt inform the user (me). Didnt ask if
    > network access was important for the PC/user. 3 days later & I cant do
    > purchase orders or invoicing(I would think invoicing may be important). No
    > attempt made to find some type of work around, ie temp network access untill a
    > replacement PC is found, or acess/logon to another PC. No timeframe given for
    > fixing this.
    > Network printing was not checked, one PC was setup with USA as region so the
    > 1st order printed to downstairs errored the printer stopping all further
    > printing until the "letter size" error was noticed. One users documents were
    > well hidden( for her) under her old(now unused) logon "doc & settings".
    > Laptop not updated with latest win patches so, suprise, it gets the latest
    > virus.
    > Is this type of thing common for network techs, looks like a bit of a rushed
    > job (its only a small network)

    Sounds a bit rushed.
    Hell, even setting up a dialup machine for net access would be better
    than nothing.
    User should usually be told when their PC is going to be taken.
    Network printing... well, yeah, it's a pain in the arse at the best of
    times.
    Virus from a lappy, if he's the net IT man, then shouldn't the old IT
    guy get blamed for this?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 5, 2004
  6. Steve Robertson

    Don Gould Guest

    I think we've all got a story like this...

    ....and I think that there's been times when we all have to confess that
    we didn't do as good'a job as we know we should have.

    Personally I'd sit down with the guy and express your concerns.

    He may feel that he was trying to get some things done quickly so he
    didn't end up putting in a big bill and then just found things back
    fired on him.

    Don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending poor workmanship...

    ....I am suggesting that most people don't do things with malace intent.

    Work the problem to a solution :)

    ....and hey, remember this guy got you in to a faster machine as well.

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 5, 2004
  7. Steve Robertson

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 07:59:18 GMT, (Steve Robertson)
    wrote:

    Hard to say Steve, on the face of it one could say you've had less
    than admirable service... but there could be other variables involved.
    I'll play devils advocate a bit, feel free to fill in the blanks.

    >Weve got a new (outsourced)network administrator.
    >When installing new ADSL router he left the internet down from lunchtime
    >till the next day, a temp internet setup wouldnt have taken long surely, he
    >could have used the old router. Its a long time to be without company email,
    >online purchasing etc.

    Maybe someone lost the logon password....?Is pretty common and you
    can't usually pick up the phone & ask the ISP for it. Did someone in
    the company perhaps tell the guy it was ok to come back next day?

    >Decided a p2 was too old & would be taken off the network (reasonable:didnt
    >want Win98 for security reasons) Didnt inform the user (me).

    That wasn't very nice.

    >Didnt ask if
    >network access was important for the PC/user. 3 days later & I cant do
    >purchase orders or invoicing(I would think invoicing may be important). No
    >attempt made to find some type of work around, ie temp network access untill a
    >replacement PC is found, or acess/logon to another PC. No timeframe given for
    >fixing this.

    Who was he reporting to.. you or the boss? Was he acting under
    instructions or given free rein? Is he self employed or working for
    someone else?

    I always put a loan machine in when taking a PC away for servicing.
    Never takes long to set up, small networks aren't exactly complicated.
    But that was my prerogative, some bosses may not be so accommodating.

    >Network printing was not checked, one PC was setup with USA as region so the
    >1st order printed to downstairs errored the printer stopping all further
    >printing until the "letter size" error was noticed.

    Ouch. Must admit I've forgotten to check the default paper on
    occasions when installing a lot of network printers. But the test
    print always picks that up if the printer is going to fart trying to
    print letter.

    >One users documents were
    >well hidden( for her) under her old(now unused) logon "doc & settings".

    Not talking to the users huh?

    >Laptop not updated with latest win patches so, suprise, it gets the latest
    >virus.

    Hmm. more to that than meets the eye. The only viruses that get into
    an unpatched machine behind a NAT router are the email kind or those
    from web pages one shouldn't be viewing in work time. Antivirus should
    also pick those up.

    How did it get infected and with what virus.. not another machine on
    the network got a worm is there?

    >Is this type of thing common for network techs, looks like a bit of a rushed
    >job (its only a small network)

    Yeah.. it's pretty common, but not the norm. Looks to me more like a
    communication problem than one of competence, but who knows?

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, May 5, 2004
  8. Steve Robertson wondered:
    > Is this type of thing common for network techs, looks like a bit of a rushed
    > job (its only a small network)

    psst, wrong question.

    Who hired the jerk? and was it based on price?

    J.Random Luser, May 6, 2004

  9. >Virus from a lappy, if he's the net IT man, then shouldn't the old IT
    >guy get blamed for this?

    Lappy are usually taken of site & often connected to a dialup. He knew this.
    He didnt put the latest Win patches on it, thats why it got a virus

    Nor running Winupdate on Xp is inexcusable(given all the security holes that
    need patching)
    He's the Network admin. His job.

    Steve Robertson, May 6, 2004
  10. Steve Robertson

    David Preece Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > When installing new ADSL router he left the internet down from lunchtime
    > till the next day

    > 3 days later & I cant do
    > purchase orders or invoicing(I would think invoicing may be important).

    > Network printing was not checked

    > One users documents were
    > well hidden( for her) under her old(now unused) logon "doc & settings".

    > Laptop not updated with latest win patches so, suprise, it gets the latest
    > virus.

    > Is this type of thing common for network techs

    Yup. Doesn't make it any more excusable though, does it? One question -
    this three days of not being able to work, did you sing up about the
    problems? Relatively early on?

    I'd be having some words with the outsourcing company if I were you,
    maybe put them on an SLA.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, May 6, 2004
  11. Steve Robertson wrote:
    >>Virus from a lappy, if he's the net IT man, then shouldn't the old IT
    >>guy get blamed for this?

    > Lappy are usually taken of site & often connected to a dialup. He knew this.
    > He didnt put the latest Win patches on it, thats why it got a virus
    > He's the Network admin. His job.

    ok, but when did he take over?

    it was said that he was new, so I assume that the old one would have
    taken care of updates until he started, usually the "new guy" name wears
    off after about a month or two, so how many updates were missing?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 6, 2004
  12. Steve Robertson

    pbs Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Virus from a lappy, if he's the net IT man, then shouldn't the old IT
    > guy get blamed for this?

    Did the old IT guy leave three envelopes for the new IT guy to be read
    in order, one each time he gets into serious trouble with the management?

    The letters read:
    1) Blame it all on the previous IT guy.
    2) Blame it on the users or suppliers or any one else who could be to
    blame apart from yourself.
    3) Place the 3 letters in 3 envelopes addressed to your replacement.

    pbs, May 7, 2004
  13. pbs wrote:
    >> Virus from a lappy, if he's the net IT man, then shouldn't the old IT
    >> guy get blamed for this?

    > Did the old IT guy leave three envelopes for the new IT guy to be read
    > in order, one each time he gets into serious trouble with the management?
    > The letters read:
    > 1) Blame it all on the previous IT guy.
    > 2) Blame it on the users or suppliers or any one else who could be to
    > blame apart from yourself.
    > 3) Place the 3 letters in 3 envelopes addressed to your replacement.

    ok, maybe he(the old IT guy) is not entirely to blame, but should thats
    like blaming the new CEO for the company going broke a month after he
    starts.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 7, 2004
  14. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >Steve Robertson wrote:
    >>>Virus from a lappy, if he's the net IT man, then shouldn't the old IT
    >>>guy get blamed for this?

    >> Lappy are usually taken of site & often connected to a dialup. He knew this.
    >> He didnt put the latest Win patches on it, thats why it got a virus
    >> He's the Network admin. His job.

    >ok, but when did he take over?

    Not relevant. He is now the network admin. His job to make things right.
    Winupdates is one of the first things to do.
    There was no previous Network admin, it was all DIY running peer to peer.
    He reconfigured the laptop to use the server OS he setup from scratch . He
    should have
    done the Win updates at the same time.
    As I said WinXp has lots of Critical updates that MUST be loaded.
    It takes 3 minutes to check this.

    Steve Robertson, May 7, 2004
  15. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >pbs wrote:
    >>> Virus from a lappy, if he's the net IT man, then shouldn't the old IT
    >>> guy get blamed for this?

    >> Did the old IT guy leave three envelopes for the new IT guy to be read
    >> in order, one each time he gets into serious trouble with the management?
    >> The letters read:
    >> 1) Blame it all on the previous IT guy.
    >> 2) Blame it on the users or suppliers or any one else who could be to
    >> blame apart from yourself.
    >> 3) Place the 3 letters in 3 envelopes addressed to your replacement.

    >ok, maybe he(the old IT guy) is not entirely to blame, but should thats
    >like blaming the new CEO for the company going broke a month after he
    >starts.

    It still dont understand why a previous IT Guy would be relevant.
    He's the man. Now is HIS responsibilty.
    I'll repeat.
    Any PC tech on a new job should be looking at
    1)do winupdates need to be installed
    2) what AV software is running. Up to date??
    3) Software firewalls installed on laptops that get used offsite??
    4)check PC/laptops virus history
    5)what crap is on these PC's that shouldnt be (Kazza, P2P proggys, spyware)
    The "Boss" may not be computor literate. If he gets a $8000 Jetstream bill
    beacuse any of the above havnt been looked at, then who is to blame. What if
    his bank account is wiped out because he got a trojan on his PC and his bank
    account passwords were compromised (I know of this happening in NZ)

    It a bit like taking your car in for a check up. Its got almost no brake fluid
    or oil. Does the machanic check/fix this or do nothing & blame the previous
    guy??

    Steve Robertson, May 8, 2004
  16. Steve Robertson wrote
    >He reconfigured the laptop to use the server OS he setup from scratch . He
    >should have
    >done the Win updates at the same time.

    indeed, this changes my opinion, i figured that someone just randomly
    plugged it in, not the IT guy himself... he's a dumbarse.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 8, 2004
  17. Steve Robertson wrote
    >It still dont understand why a previous IT Guy would be relevant.
    >He's the man. Now is HIS responsibilty.

    from my prior post... regarding that he had reconfigured the lappy.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 8, 2004