Network Admin Work Load

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by James, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work for was
    just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.

    The company has about 150 computer users through 8 locations. I am
    responsible for the following

    - 5 terminal servers running windows 2000
    - 2 Domain controllers running windows 2000
    - 1 exchange 2003 server
    - 1 ISA server
    - Performaing nightly backups

    Also responsible for providing any "IT support" to the users, which isn't
    required too often. There is one other IT guy who is repsonsible for our
    SQL database.

    Now heres my concern. I've got things set up nicely, I think anyways.
    Everything runs smooth. I've made manuals for all duties, and log all
    problems, so if I'm away someone could try to cover for me.

    I have A LOT of spare time during my day. Is this the usual for a network
    admin/support position? I could probably get away with working 4 hour days.

    Like I said I am worried about being laid off, and am just curious if small
    workloads are the norm for IT workers, when everything is working anyways...

    Thanks

    James, Jul 18, 2005

  2. James

    CBIC Guest

    James wrote:
    > Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work
    > for was just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.
    >
    > The company has about 150 computer users through 8 locations. I am
    > responsible for the following
    >
    > - 5 terminal servers running windows 2000
    > - 2 Domain controllers running windows 2000
    > - 1 exchange 2003 server
    > - 1 ISA server
    > - Performaing nightly backups
    >
    > Also responsible for providing any "IT support" to the users, which
    > isn't required too often. There is one other IT guy who is
    > repsonsible for our SQL database.
    >
    > Now heres my concern. I've got things set up nicely, I think anyways.
    > Everything runs smooth. I've made manuals for all duties, and log all
    > problems, so if I'm away someone could try to cover for me.
    >
    > I have A LOT of spare time during my day. Is this the usual for a
    > network admin/support position? I could probably get away with
    > working 4 hour days.
    > Like I said I am worried about being laid off, and am just curious if
    > small workloads are the norm for IT workers, when everything is
    > working anyways...
    > Thanks

    I work for a smaller company and I have LOTS of free time. Where you messed
    up IMO was making manuals. My #1 rule is:Write nothing down. The lusers
    think they work with magic boxes because they have no clue how things work.
    In my user's world, I'm inexpenable. They freak out when I take a day off.
    I'll never get laid off from here. In fact, I had a job offer from a
    different company the other day and I got a raise just by mentioning it to
    my boss. Remember this: In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38

    CBIC, Jul 18, 2005

  3. James

    kpg Guest

    > Remember this: In the land of
    > the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

    And his first order of business should be to
    outlaw pointy sticks.

    kpg
    www.MCNGP.com
    What? Me Worry?

    kpg, Jul 18, 2005
  4. James

    Briscobar Guest

    James <> rambled:

    <snip>

    I'm not the network admin, and I'm not the database admin, and I don't write
    the custom programs that the lusers use. That job belongs to a guy who's in
    3 days a week. My responsibilities here basically boil down to:
    Help desk.
    Troubleshoot anything/everything when Steve's not here.
    Write Crystal Reports when they're required.
    Go to trade shows to set up handheld scanners/printers/computers/fax
    machines (3 a year).
    Install apps as required.
    Build new machines as required.
    Soak up any and all information I can.
    And post to mpce.mcse at will.

    Even all this does not keep me busy 8 hours a day. Even when Steve's 3 days
    a week, he shoots the breeze for at least an hour before he does anything.
    The point is, as long as you have things working properly, you've done your
    job properly. Once they're configured correctly, unless you want to change
    something, computers will run until they physically break. If they do, then
    they weren't configured properly. And it sounds like you've got everything
    under control. My advice is to keep doing whatever it is you do throughout
    the day, but when the boss walks by, make it look like you're busy. :)

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    nerd32768 looks up porn on the internet all day. Then he visits
    www.mcngp.com.

    Briscobar, Jul 18, 2005
  5. James

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Briscobar" <> say in

    > nerd32768

    where is the little fart?

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Frisbyterian: when you die, your soul goes up on the roof.

    Neil, Jul 18, 2005
  6. James

    FrisbeeĀ® Guest

    > did you hear "Briscobar" <> say in
    >
    >> nerd32768

    > where is the little fart?

    Brat Camp?

    http://abc.go.com/primetime/bratcamp/

    FrisbeeĀ®, Jul 18, 2005
  7. James

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Subject: Network Admin Work Load
    > From: James <>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    >
    > Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work for was
    > just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.
    >
    > The company has about 150 computer users through 8 locations. I am
    > responsible for the following
    >
    > - 5 terminal servers running windows 2000
    > - 2 Domain controllers running windows 2000
    > - 1 exchange 2003 server
    > - 1 ISA server
    > - Performaing nightly backups
    >
    > Also responsible for providing any "IT support" to the users, which isn't
    > required too often. There is one other IT guy who is repsonsible for our
    > SQL database.

    This is a pretty light workload. Somewhere between 20 to 40 servers per
    admin is a good metric, however you do have a wide range of server
    types, which makes you more valuable (like an aging utility infielder).

    Ben Smith, Jul 18, 2005
  8. James

    QBob Guest

    It really depends on your environment and what you are trained to do. I
    worked in an environment not much larger than yours before the job I am in
    now, but had over 300 users in 18 locations that I provided support for and
    did server admin as well. I am now in a job with less users, but it is a
    software company with lots of applications, including SQL, Exchange,
    multiple DCs and tons of apps servers. I am responsible for nearly 100
    servers and backups so there is always something to do. I take any free
    time I have now along with the knowledge I gain each day in working towards
    my MCSE. Two more tests and I will be there. I would recommend using your
    free time to better the environment you are in and then study, learn and get
    certified for your next job in case the axe does fall. HTH.

    QBob, Jul 19, 2005
  9. James

    zenner Guest

    If you are doing your job correctly, as an System Administrator or System
    manager...there should be NO drama. Anytime an administrator has a high
    likelihood that the system will break, that just illustrates PPPP.
    Seriously, if your job is in jeopardy "because" you do it too well,
    something is wrong with management or you have out-grown the position.

    What many IT workers fail to realize it the abnormal amount of time spent in
    keeping up to date in our field. Seems many of us think of our outside
    reading as a hobby, entertainment...instead of what it actually is, staying
    current in the field. One thing I suggest is asking for
    reimbursement/charging your employer for things like subscriptions to
    magazines, books, manuals, attendance at seminars (local as well as those
    that require travel). This serves to show them that your off-duty reading is
    company related.

    Think of your job much like a firefighter, The more fires you have to
    fight...only serves to prove that you didn't do the fire prevention work. If
    a fire happens (lets say a new, wild virus or unknown Hacker exploit comes
    on the scene)...your speedy reaction to contain, conserve evidence,
    detect/prevent secondary infections...are what you should be judged on.

    If you want to be judged on how much work you do each day, instead of how
    much gets done...just make sure you setup every new mail account, every new
    user, every policy, permission, security change One-at-a-time. That will
    fill your day with things to do, but is that really the mark of a good
    administrator?

    Old fashioned as it seems...my over-ridding ambition in system operations is
    to do the job so well, that I'm invisible. Even in jobs that I've quit,
    outgrown or imprudently been let go. Nine times out of ten, they have asked
    for me to return on a consultancy basis, if not attempted to seduce me back
    with higher salary. The key is to let management know what you are
    doing...not to let the users wonder why you are not doing it.

    zenner, Jul 19, 2005
  10. James

    T-Bone Guest

    "James" <> wrote
    > Like I said I am worried about being laid off, and am just curious if

    small
    > workloads are the norm for IT workers, when everything is working

    anyways...

    I've heard say that you can tell that your net admin is doing a good job by
    the fact they appear to have nothing to do.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Jul 19, 2005
  11. James

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> say in

    > I've heard say that you can tell that your net admin is doing a good
    > job by the fact they appear to have nothing to do.

    I must bo doing one heluva good job...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield.

    Neil, Jul 19, 2005
  12. James

    catwalker63 Guest

    "James" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work
    > for was just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.

    I'm going to disagree with some of the jokers here about documentation.
    Documentation is a good thing. Good documentation will be more help to
    you than to someone coming in behind you. It also shows you to be
    organized and concientious, which is more important than being
    mysterious. Learning to communicate your value in business terms will
    also go a long way to helping you retain your position or aquire a new
    one should it become necessary.

    I will agree that continued study is a good way to fill those extra hours
    you find yourself with. Even if you don't attempt the exams, you need to
    keep updating your knowledge and skills.

    Remeber, even if you are let go -- and it can happen even if you are
    doing a good job -- you never want to burn your bridges down behind you.
    When I was layed off, I also was called back to consult on many
    occasions.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Jul 19, 2005
  13. "catwalker63" wrote:

    > "James" <> prattled ceaslessly in
    >
    > > Ok, I've been at my job for a couple years now. The company I work
    > > for was just sold, so I wonder about possible layoffs.
    > >

    > I'm going to disagree with some of the jokers here about documentation.
    > Documentation is a good thing. Good documentation will be more help to
    > you than to someone coming in behind you. It also shows you to be
    > organized and concientious, which is more important than being
    > mysterious. Learning to communicate your value in business terms will
    > also go a long way to helping you retain your position or aquire a new
    > one should it become necessary.
    >
    > I will agree that continued study is a good way to fill those extra hours
    > you find yourself with. Even if you don't attempt the exams, you need to
    > keep updating your knowledge and skills.
    >
    > Remeber, even if you are let go -- and it can happen even if you are
    > doing a good job -- you never want to burn your bridges down behind you.
    > When I was layed off, I also was called back to consult on many
    > occasions.
    >
    > --

    Uhm.... yeah, I'm gunna hafta go ahead and disargree with you there.

    Documentation is great... but code it. Code it in a way that looks like
    techno garble without actually translating to anything specific. As long as
    they don't know what to do... you will be invaluable. As far as Cat's
    comment about coming back for consulting work... if they ever did fire you...
    they wouldn't have another choice but to consult with you... since you, and
    you alone, know the systems. And if it ever got to that point... well, let's
    just say that there is no salary cap.

    I am currenlty writing scripts for a software program that automates large
    (sometimes repetitive) tasks for 2 centers. I have an interview tomorrow as
    a tech support anaylst. If I get this job... there are maybe 2 people in the
    entire company of 50K that could pick up my job and TRY and work on it. The
    scripts are written in a way that only I know them. Someone could figure
    them out... but not before hours of research per script. I asked them for a
    raise... none given... now I have an interview. hmmmm..................
    what do you all think I should do?

    =?Utf-8?B?S2V5Ym9hcmQgQ293Ym95?=, Jul 19, 2005
  14. James

    kpg Guest

    > have an interview. hmmmm.................. what do you all think I
    > should do?

    Burn it down?

    kpg, Jul 19, 2005
  15. James

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?S2V5Ym9hcmQgQ293Ym95?=
    <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > Uhm.... yeah, I'm gunna hafta go ahead and disargree with you there.
    >
    > Documentation is great... but code it. Code it in a way that looks
    > like techno garble without actually translating to anything specific.
    > As long as they don't know what to do... you will be invaluable. As
    > far as Cat's comment about coming back for consulting work... if they
    > ever did fire you... they wouldn't have another choice but to consult
    > with you... since you, and you alone, know the systems. And if it
    > ever got to that point... well, let's just say that there is no salary
    > cap.
    >
    > I am currenlty writing scripts for a software program that automates
    > large (sometimes repetitive) tasks for 2 centers. I have an interview
    > tomorrow as a tech support anaylst. If I get this job... there are
    > maybe 2 people in the entire company of 50K that could pick up my job
    > and TRY and work on it. The scripts are written in a way that only I
    > know them. Someone could figure them out... but not before hours of
    > research per script. I asked them for a raise... none given... now I
    > have an interview. hmmmm.................. what do you all think I
    > should do?

    Well, looks like you have too choices. You can be a professional and
    earn respect or you can be vindictive and end up angry and lonely. I
    lean more towards the professional but that's just me. It doesn't mean
    you don't take new opportunities when they come along but you shouldn't
    make the people you leave behind hate you. It's a small world and you
    may have to work with/for these people again. What you send out comes
    back at you.

    catwalker63, Jul 19, 2005
  16. James

    Briscobar Guest

    kpg <ipost@thereforeiam> rambled:

    >> have an interview. hmmmm.................. what do you all think I
    >> should do?
    >>

    > Burn it down?

    It's not like they stole his Swingline or anything.

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    nerd32768 needs your business. Visit www.mcngp.com today.

    Briscobar, Jul 19, 2005
  17. James

    kpg Guest

    OMG! They must have put something in the MCSE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

    --
    kp "It people, It's made of people..." g

    kpg, Jul 19, 2005
  18. James

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Utf-8?B?S2V5Ym9hcmQgQ293Ym95?=
    spewed across the ether:

    > hmmmm..................
    > what do you all think I should do?

    Neither of the choices you present involves high explosives or machine
    guns, therefore, I shall reserve my judgement until a fuller range of
    alternatives are presented.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110

    JaR, Jul 19, 2005
  19. James

    James Guest

    thanks for the advice, I have been spending my free time studying, the
    company pays for me to write my exams, so I've gotten a few certs already :)

    James, Jul 19, 2005
  20. James

    > thanks for the advice, I have been spending my free time studying, the
    > company pays for me to write my exams, so I've gotten a few certs
    > already :)

    Very cool! So you're ready if they do let you go. Enjoy the time you
    have now with a fairly light load. It won't always be that way.

    catwalker63, Jul 19, 2005