    access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
    doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].

    This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.
    Patrick Dunford, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford

    Zoro Aster Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:25:21 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >Used to be you could get these add ons
    >
    >I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a floppy and
    >access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
    >doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
    >
    >This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

    Go to google and search for "network boot disk".

    --
    Zoro Aster
    Zoro Aster, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford

    a Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > Used to be you could get these add ons
    >
    > I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a floppy and
    > access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
    > doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
    >
    > This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

    Heh I guess you could use Knoppix.

    Why not throw a bunch of drivers on some master machine, sysprep it, and
    then use ghost? You really don't want to install Windows XP all the
    time from scratch ...
    a, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > Used to be you could get these add ons
    >
    > I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a floppy and
    > access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
    > doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
    >
    > This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

    www.bootdisk.com

    RJ out
    Ryan Jacobs, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Used to be you could get these add ons
    >
    > I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a floppy and
    > access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
    > doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
    >
    > This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

    See if you're licensed to use WinPE
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/support/winpe.mspx

    Its heaps better that DOS these days

    If not, try out Bart's tool
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    Nathan Mercer, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Patrick Dunford

    frederick Guest

    > > Used to be you could get these add ons
    > >
    > > I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a

    floppy and
    > > access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
    > > doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
    > >
    > > This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

    > See if you're licensed to use WinPE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/support/winpe.mspx
    >
    > Its heaps better that DOS these days
    >
    > If not, try out Bart's tool
    > http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    I tried out Bart's tool - and it works very very well.
    I expect that to use it as an item in your "toolkit" to fix anyone's
    computer except your own one is contravening the terms of one's EULA,
    unless you uninstall the OS from your own computer. Or am I being
    harsh - maybe it is okay so long as you switch your computer off before
    you use Bart's tool anywhere else?
    frederick, Jun 16, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    says...

    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message

    > > > Used to be you could get these add ons
    > > >
    > > > I am looking for any software that will allow me to boot off a

    > floppy and
    > > > access a UNC path to another computer that is running Windows. Ghost
    > > > doesn't quite do it unfortunately [It can only load a whole image].
    > > >
    > > > This will allow me to install Windows XP over a network connection.

    > > See if you're licensed to use WinPE
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/support/winpe.mspx
    > >
    > > Its heaps better that DOS these days
    > >
    > > If not, try out Bart's tool
    > > http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    > I tried out Bart's tool - and it works very very well.
    > I expect that to use it as an item in your "toolkit" to fix anyone's
    > computer except your own one is contravening the terms of one's EULA,
    > unless you uninstall the OS from your own computer. Or am I being
    > harsh - maybe it is okay so long as you switch your computer off before
    > you use Bart's tool anywhere else?

    You should only use it in conjunction with existing software licenses. I
    had no issue with BFD because we have a sitewide license for 98 and XP.
    Patrick Dunford, Jun 16, 2004
  8. Patrick Dunford

    frederick Guest

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > > > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in message

    > > floppy and

    Ghost

    image].

    connection.

    > > > See if you're licensed to use WinPE
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/support/winpe.mspx
    > > >
    > > > Its heaps better that DOS these days
    > > >
    > > > If not, try out Bart's tool
    > > > http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    > > I tried out Bart's tool - and it works very very well.
    > > I expect that to use it as an item in your "toolkit" to fix anyone's
    > > computer except your own one is contravening the terms of one's

    EULA,
    > > unless you uninstall the OS from your own computer. Or am I being
    > > harsh - maybe it is okay so long as you switch your computer off

    before
    > > you use Bart's tool anywhere else?

    > You should only use it in conjunction with existing software licenses.

    > had no issue with BFD because we have a sitewide license for 98 and

    XP.

    And even that didn't allow you a license for WinPE?

    To quote Bart:
    "I feel that, considering the above, Microsoft cannot say that BartPE is
    illegal."

    I am guessing that he may be right, as it appears that he has been
    "taken out" in the past, and is certainly popping his head out from the
    bunker now.
    frederick, Jun 16, 2004