    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group
    David, Feb 26, 2008

  2. David

    Cub Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    news:pZSwj.4368$...
    > Hi,
    > My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
    > connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different
    > makes of network cards have been tryed.
    > Both fail on Installation.
    > *An error occured......."
    > "Faulty data"
    > Or words to this effect i understand.
    > I sent him to Device manager, and the Network adaptor is listed but not
    > working, he unistalled driver and reinstalled but same error, any ideas?
    > He as tried the CD and I lent him a wireless adaptor so the internet
    > update tried but same failure.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > David
    >
    > Please reply to News Group

    Pls send FULL error message.

    Have you the correct cable

    what cards have you tried (dont say different makes lol)

    when you say "the Network adaptor is listed but not
    > working,"

    do you see the device showing as disabled ?

    is the TCPIP prperties set to manual IP or DHCP auto ?

    when connected to whatever the service provider sent what happens with the
    leds at the side of the network card are both lit ? , what colour ?

    what is the make and model of the modem they sent you ?

    sooo many questions sooo little time
    Cub, Feb 26, 2008

  3. David

    David Guest

    "Cub" <> wrote in message news:fq15sv$ng9$...

    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
    >> connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different
    >> makes of network cards have been tryed.
    >> Both fail on Installation.
    >> *An error occured......."
    >> "Faulty data"
    >> Or words to this effect i understand.
    >> I sent him to Device manager, and the Network adaptor is listed but not
    >> working, he unistalled driver and reinstalled but same error, any ideas?
    >> He as tried the CD and I lent him a wireless adaptor so the internet
    >> update tried but same failure.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> David
    >>
    >> Please reply to News Group
    >>

    > Pls send FULL error message.
    >
    > Have you the correct cable
    >
    > what cards have you tried (dont say different makes lol)
    >
    > when you say "the Network adaptor is listed but not
    >> working,"

    > do you see the device showing as disabled ?
    >
    > is the TCPIP prperties set to manual IP or DHCP auto ?
    >
    > when connected to whatever the service provider sent what happens with the
    > leds at the side of the network card are both lit ? , what colour ?
    >
    > what is the make and model of the modem they sent you ?
    >

    > sooo many questions sooo little time

    Do not think outside of the computer matter at this stage as nothing coming
    out, the device is not working.
    Will get you exact model numbers tomorrow hopefully.
    The first card was a Maplin boxed but computer as it as a Realtek.
    The one in now is a Linksys.

    The device does not show on Network Connections, the only item under shown
    is the working Belkin Wireless adapror.

    In Device Manager the item has a yellow tick.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Feb 26, 2008
  4. David

    David Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message

    > In Device Manager the item has a yellow tick.

    PS
    Think the yellow might have been a Question Mark.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group
    David, Feb 26, 2008
  5. David

    Cub Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message

    > "Cub" <> wrote in message news:fq15sv$ng9$...
    >>
    >> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband
    >>> internet connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2
    >>> different makes of network cards have been tryed.
    >>> Both fail on Installation.
    >>> *An error occured......."
    >>> "Faulty data"
    >>> Or words to this effect i understand.
    >>> I sent him to Device manager, and the Network adaptor is listed but not
    >>> working, he unistalled driver and reinstalled but same error, any ideas?
    >>> He as tried the CD and I lent him a wireless adaptor so the internet
    >>> update tried but same failure.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> David
    >>>
    >>> Please reply to News Group
    >>>

    >> Pls send FULL error message.
    >>
    >> Have you the correct cable
    >>
    >> what cards have you tried (dont say different makes lol)
    >>
    >> when you say "the Network adaptor is listed but not
    >>> working,"

    >> do you see the device showing as disabled ?
    >>
    >> is the TCPIP prperties set to manual IP or DHCP auto ?
    >>
    >> when connected to whatever the service provider sent what happens with
    >> the leds at the side of the network card are both lit ? , what colour ?
    >>
    >> what is the make and model of the modem they sent you ?
    >>

    >> sooo many questions sooo little time
    >>

    > Do not think outside of the computer matter at this stage as nothing
    > coming out, the device is not working.
    > Will get you exact model numbers tomorrow hopefully.
    > The first card was a Maplin boxed but computer as it as a Realtek.
    > The one in now is a Linksys.
    >
    > The device does not show on Network Connections, the only item under shown
    > is the working Belkin Wireless adapror.
    >
    > In Device Manager the item has a yellow tick.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > David
    >
    > Please reply to News Group

    yellow probably means the correct driver is not available for the card

    I don't think you will see the card in network connections , you have to add
    it once you have a working card

    SO we are talking wireless connections not hard wired ( why mention the pc
    has no ethernet connectors ?)

    What have you got in at the moment cos Realtek is one manufacturer Belkin
    another and Linksys yet another ..

    more info required
    Cub, Feb 26, 2008
  6. David

    Plato Guest

    David wrote:

    > My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
    > connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different makes
    > of network cards have been tryed.
    > Both fail on Installation.

    You didn't mention if you installed the drivers for it..

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 27, 2008
  7. David

    David Guest

    "Cub" <> wrote in message news:fq295d$l90$...

    > yellow probably means the correct driver is not available for the card

    That's what we are trying to do and failing....Installation fails.

    > I don't think you will see the card in network connections , you have to
    > add it once you have a working card

    Yes not showing there is what I thought confirming Device Manager.

    > SO we are talking wireless connections not hard wired ( why mention the
    > pc has no ethernet connectors ?)

    NO. We are talking about Network Cards, 2 of them with same problem, a
    Realtek and a Linksys. My OP lacks details, yes, but has the story
    correct. (PC has no Ethernet connection, one required now my friend has
    Broadband. I have lent him a Belkin USB wireless adaptor to get on to the
    internet and use XPs automatic Driver installation. Also for us to go to
    the maker of these 2 Network adaptors web sites.)

    > What have you got in at the moment cos Realtek is one manufacturer Belkin
    > another and Linksys yet another ..

    Maplin/Realtek first and now Linksys in now. ( Any difference in quality?
    You know which one to keep when you get us going. Packaging etc of the
    Linksys superior, but it is the card that is important.)

    > more info required

    I have promised that today, assuming my friend at home.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Feb 27, 2008
  8. David

    David Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >>
    >> My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
    >> connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different
    >> makes
    >> of network cards have been tryed.
    >> Both fail on Installation.

    > You didn't mention if you installed the drivers for it..

    I'm not a PC expert but that is what I thought was the installation and that
    which was failing.

    Would I be expecting 2 installations then?
    One the drivers. Then a second?
    I do see the driver installation symbols of one file transferring to another
    on screen.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group
    David, Feb 27, 2008
  9. David

    David Guest

    PS
    Just to be clear, the Belkin Wireless USB adaptor is working fine so the
    broadband and its Netgear router is OK. The only thing with the Belkin
    installation was it warned the computers USB is a 1, and therefore it would
    work slower than a 2.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Feb 27, 2008
  10. David

    David Guest

    Hi,
    First thanks for the replies.
    My friend as taken the PC to his technician this morning and a fault with
    the PC was found. Also they advised to repair it was not worth the money.
    They advised him to continue with the USB wireless adaptor, which I have now
    passed over to him.
    So all is well.
    Regards
    David
    David, Feb 27, 2008
  11. David

    Plato Guest

    David wrote:

    > >> My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
    > >> connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different
    > >> makes
    > >> of network cards have been tryed.
    > >> Both fail on Installation.

    > > You didn't mention if you installed the drivers for it..

    > I'm not a PC expert but that is what I thought was the installation and that
    > which was failing.

    In the future dont assume that Win has the drivers for any card.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 27, 2008
  12. David

    David Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    > In the future dont assume that Win has the drivers for any card.

    Wonder where you got that from?

    Please re-read my postings.
    I quote you this bit to help you,

    David, Feb 27, 2008