Network adapters failed to support NDISReadNetworkAddress function

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by klai@klcconsulting.net, Apr 16, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Many new network adapters on VISTA fail to support
    NDISReadNetworkAddress function.
    This is the function that allows software configurable MAC Address.
    Although the network adapters received "Certified for Windows VISTA"
    logo, they fail to support this function.

    Based on my understanding from Microsoft website, network adapters are
    required to support NDIS 6.0 for Windows VISTA, and NDIS 5.1 for
    Windows XP, and both NDIS versions require support for
    NDISReadNetworkAddress function as stated in the Microsoft site:

    We are the developer for SMAC (http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac) and
    what we have found so far from our customers is that following
    wireless network adapters do not support NDISReadNetworkAddress
    function. Here are some wireless network adapters our customers have
    reported that do not support this function.:

    Atheros AR500x (HP and Dell systems (Dell 1515 WLAN half mini-Card))
    Broadcom 4321AG (HP and Dell systems)
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, 4965AGN (HP systems)
    D-Link DWA-140

    I am not a network adapter driver developer, but I am interested in
    your input if you develop network adapter drivers. Is
    NDISReadNetworkAddress function one of Microsoft requirements for the
    network adapter to get "Certified for Windows VISTA" logo?

    MAC Address change instruction is at http://www.klcconsulting.net/change_mac_w2k.htm

    Thank you.
    /Kyle
    KLC Consulting, Inc.
    www.klcconsulting.net

    , Apr 16, 2009

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >Based on my understanding from Microsoft website, network adapters are
    >required to support NDIS 6.0 for Windows VISTA, and NDIS 5.1 for

    I think that NDISReadNetworkAddress is supported but there's
    nothing that says the adaptor must support it. That's why you're
    supposed to check the return code...

    the wharf rat, Apr 16, 2009

  3. Pavel A. Guest

    Some vendors consider the ability to select MAC
    address for consumer WLAN adapters harmful, and deliberately
    removed it.
    AFAIK this has been settled with MS and the major PC vendors
    who use our adapters.
    So it would take a bit more to spoof the MAC address on WLAN adapters
    than a little NDIS IM driver ;)

    -- pa

    Pavel A., Apr 16, 2009
  4. Pavel A. Guest

    > So it would take a bit more to spoof the MAC address on WLAN adapters
    > than a little NDIS IM driver

    .... or little registry hacks

    Regards,
    -- pa

    Pavel A., Apr 16, 2009
  5. <> wrote ...
    > Many new network adapters on VISTA fail to support
    > NDISReadNetworkAddress function.
    > This is the function that allows software configurable MAC Address.
    > Although the network adapters received "Certified for Windows VISTA"
    > logo, they fail to support this function.

    The function call NDISReadNetworkAddress() is supported and works, on Vista
    and XP and in NDIS 6.0 and 5.1. However, there's no guarantee calling this
    function will actually change the MAC address which a hardware device uses
    to send frames. As the MSDN doc describes:

    <quote>
    Note that NDIS does not validate the value at NetworkAddress. NDIS does
    not guarantee that this value is a valid address, that the value has the
    proper length, or even that the value is a network address. The caller of
    NdisReadNetworkAddress must therefore not make any assumptions about this
    value and must itself validate the value. If the caller determines that the
    value is out of bounds, it should not use the value; instead, it should use
    the permanent medium access control (MAC) address or a default address.
    </quote>

    For the NDISReadNetworkAddress() call to install a Locally Adminstered
    Address, there are 2 prerequisites:
    - the hardware device must suport the use of locally adminstered addresses;
    and
    - the driver installation must create a Windows registry value at the
    correct location.

    Locally administered addresses ("LAA") are a common feature in network
    adapters; but they are not generally required by the IEEE 802 Standards
    (they are required for 802.5 devices; ie, Token Ring cards; elsewhere,
    optional).

    If a vendor does not implement an LAA facility in their network adapter
    hardware, then there is no way to install or spoof a MAC address, you must
    use the OUI address (the "burnt-in address"). It would be extremely
    difficult for any operating system to override this (at least, while
    conforming to IEEE standards; a malicious attack may be able to fudge
    something).

    For more background information about the IEEE 802 Standards, see here:
    http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/

    > your input if you develop network adapter drivers. Is
    > NDISReadNetworkAddress function one of Microsoft requirements for the
    > network adapter to get "Certified for Windows VISTA" logo?

    The requirements for Windows Logo certification are well-documented by
    Microsoft. You can find details at Microsoft's device driver website
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc):

    Windows Logo Program: Overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo

    Certified for Vista Requirements
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...f35c/Windows Vista Software Logo Spec 1.1.doc

    LAAs were originally designed to accomodate specific addressing schemes in
    closed, corporate networks - nainly for legacy Xerox and IBM equipment. Now
    that most devices participate in standard LANs and the wide-open Internet,
    there's less need for LAAs; and some folks argue that LAAs can be a vector
    for malicious attacks eg spoofing. So LAAs are somewhat deprecated.

    Hope it helps (and, apologies to other readers for the massive
    cross-posting)

    Andrew
    (member, IEEE Standards Association)
    --