Network adapter

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by naguaramipana, Jan 11, 2010.

  1. Hi gurus

    I have a problem and need your help very bad.

    Here is the problem

    I connect my laptop to the network using cat cable, I see when the
    switch port lights up once the cable is connected to my computer, I
    see light blinking on the switch port but for some reason I CANT do
    the following

    a) I cant go out using the internet
    b) I cant ping other computers
    C) The laptop cant be ping from other computers

    is like nothing is coming in or out

    I have done the following

    Change the cable
    Release and renew with no avail
    restart computer with "last known"
    Stop anti-virus(never was a problem before)

    Any help I will appreciated on how to troubleshoot this problem

    Thanks a bunch gurus

    OS Windows XP pro SP3
    brand : Sager

    naguaramipana, Jan 11, 2010

  2. naguaramipana

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 11/01/2010 15:49, naguaramipana wrote:
    > Hi gurus
    >
    > I have a problem and need your help very bad.
    >
    > Here is the problem
    >
    > I connect my laptop to the network using cat cable, I see when the
    > switch port lights up once the cable is connected to my computer, I
    > see light blinking on the switch port but for some reason I CANT do
    > the following
    >
    > a) I cant go out using the internet
    > b) I cant ping other computers
    > C) The laptop cant be ping from other computers
    >

    > is like nothing is coming in or out
    >

    > I have done the following
    >
    > Change the cable
    > Release and renew with no avail
    > restart computer with "last known"
    > Stop anti-virus(never was a problem before)
    >

    > Any help I will appreciated on how to troubleshoot this problem
    >
    > Thanks a bunch gurus
    >
    > OS Windows XP pro SP3
    > brand : Sager

    Can you ping your router by IP address?
    Run ipconfig /all and post the response.

    Desk Rabbit, Jan 11, 2010

  3. naguaramipana

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 07:49:57 -0800 (PST), naguaramipana wrote:

    >Hi gurus
    >
    >I have a problem and need your help very bad.
    >
    >Here is the problem

    New system, old system it was working before something changed?

    > I connect my laptop to the network using cat cable, I see when the

    I would prefer an Ethernet cable RJ-45 ends and Cat5e/6, cat on it's own
    doesn't work so well, they object a lot.

    >switch port lights up once the cable is connected to my computer, I

    The lights are only to show the cable is connected, they don't show that
    TCP/IP or other required settings are correct.

    >see light blinking on the switch port but for some reason I CANT do
    >the following
    >
    > a) I cant go out using the internet

    Leave to to last.
    Assuming other computers are okay. At least 1 you posted from. They can
    all ping each other.

    > b) I cant ping other computers

    How? By IP address or name.
    You have a valid IP address and the gateway other settings from the
    output of

    ipconfig/all

    are the same as a working PC.

    See below.

    > C) The laptop cant be ping from other computers

    For the IP address you do get, can you ping it?

    Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

    >is like nothing is coming in or out
    >

    >I have done the following
    >
    > Change the cable
    > Release and renew with no avail

    Something must have happened?
    What IP address do you get?

    A correct address?
    Something like 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255
    Maybe even 0.0.0.0

    > restart computer with "last known"

    Might be better off with a last restore point, if it's less than a day
    or 2 old. The 'Last Known' good configs can older.

    > Stop anti-virus(never was a problem before)

    What AV? Have you tried to uninstall it?

    You didn't mention any firewall app.

    >Any help I will appreciated on how to troubleshoot this problem
    >
    >Thanks a bunch gurus
    >
    >OS Windows XP pro SP3
    >brand : Sager

    Me