    a Linksys router which is passworded for the wireless
    portion only.

    Thank You

    zookeeper, Jul 14, 2009

  2. zookeeper

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:13:21 GMT, zookeeper wrote:

    Long story.... why?
    Too many confusing uses of home.

    >I just recently made an attempt to network my home computer and laptop, so
    >that the laptop may see the
    >one shared folder I created on the home computer. When I open windows
    >explorer and click on the home computer
    >a dialogue box comes up asking for a user name and password. The weird
    >thing about this is I never created a user name

    That will be the default system account.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783
    How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/accounts.mspx
    Create and customize user accounts
    and for vista.
    http://www.vista4beginners.com/Manage-User-Accounts

    http://familyinternet.about.com/od/projects/ss/adduservista.htm

    http://forums.tutorialized.com/windows-122/how-to-add-users-in-windows-vista-15517.html

    PC1 - home computer , shared folder, login username administrator. SP
    Pro.

    PC2 - laptop, vista home premuim.

    Administrator account should be renamed from default and it should have
    a password.

    >or password. I log into the home computer as administrator and that is the
    >only account I do have. There is no password

    So if you enter administrator as the username.... what happens?

    Each PC should have the same username/password to login with.

    >on this account either. What am I doing wrong and how do I remove this? I
    >am running xp pro at home and vista home premium

    XP Pro at home? Assume home is the location :)

    >on the laptop. I am pulling my hair out on this and can not afford to lose
    >anymore.

    Past posts in 24HSHD lots of posts with links on how to share files.

    A lot of those posts also memtion www.google.com

    http://www.google.com/&q=windows xp vista file sharing

    finds

    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=236402
    Windows Vista: File Sharing between XP and Vista.

    http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/file-sharing-from-xp-to-vista/425.html

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista/1164410906

    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1354847&page=4

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/File-Print-Sharing-Windows-Vista.html

    for XP end
    and vista end
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e2e03106-2546-4085-bd07-6c3ac95003111033.mspx

    >ps I can access my wife's laptop with is xp home and we are running through
    >a Linksys router which is passworded for the wireless

    The wirelass password is different from having the same username/account
    details on each PC to share files. You didn't say what username the
    wife's laptop is using.

    >portion only.
    >
    >Thank You

    Me

    why?, Jul 14, 2009

  3. zookeeper

    zookeeper Guest

    > On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:13:21 GMT, zookeeper wrote:
    >
    > Long story.... why?
    > Too many confusing uses of home.

    To over simplify, I have never created any passwords what-so-ever in or on
    my home computer related to windows. In the past when posting less, I got
    crap for not enough info. The only account I have is administrator under
    safe mode and guest which is not activated. I do not care if I have a
    password and prefer not to. I simply am trying to find out why it is
    requesting one when I never created one and of course, wanting the removal
    of it. I have tried administrator for user and various other entries for
    passwords, to no avail. The point of the long storie was that laptop to
    laptop works. Either laptop to home computer does not because of this
    password request. Oops getting long story again, sorry!

    Thank you

    zookeeper, Jul 14, 2009
  4. zookeeper

    zookeeper Guest

    "zookeeper" <> wrote in message

    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:13:21 GMT, zookeeper wrote:
    >>
    >> Long story.... why?
    >> Too many confusing uses of home.

    > To over simplify, I have never created any passwords what-so-ever in or on
    > my home computer related to windows. In the past when posting less, I got
    > crap for not enough info. The only account I have is administrator under
    > safe mode and guest which is not activated. I do not care if I have a
    > password and prefer not to. I simply am trying to find out why it is
    > requesting one when I never created one and of course, wanting the removal
    > of it. I have tried administrator for user and various other entries for
    > passwords, to no avail. The point of the long storie was that laptop to
    > laptop works. Either laptop to home computer does not because of this
    > password request. Oops getting long story again, sorry!
    >
    > Thank you

    forgot to include!
    Laptop 1 Vista
    Laptop 2 Windows XP pro
    Home computer Windows XP pro

    zookeeper, Jul 14, 2009
  5. "zookeeper" <> wrote in

    > "zookeeper" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:13:21 GMT, zookeeper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Long story.... why?
    >>> Too many confusing uses of home.

    >> To over simplify, I have never created any passwords what-so-ever
    >> in or on my home computer related to windows. In the past when
    >> posting less, I got crap for not enough info. The only account I
    >> have is administrator under safe mode and guest which is not
    >> activated. I do not care if I have a password and prefer not to.
    >> I simply am trying to find out why it is requesting one when I
    >> never created one and of course, wanting the removal of it. I
    >> have tried administrator for user and various other entries for
    >> passwords, to no avail. The point of the long storie was that
    >> laptop to laptop works. Either laptop to home computer does not
    >> because of this password request. Oops getting long story again,
    >> sorry!
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>

    > forgot to include!
    > Laptop 1 Vista
    > Laptop 2 Windows XP pro
    > Home computer Windows XP pro

    This sounds like a "Simple File Sharing" enabled vs disabled problem.

    With Simple File Sharing enabled, all access to shares is through the
    "Guest" account. If the Guest account doesn't have a password, you
    have access. It sounds like your home computer has disabled Simple
    File Sharing. In that case, access is granted based on a
    username/password approach. If the user name of the connecting user
    does not match a user name on the server machine, then a login screen
    is presented. Try enabling Simple File Sharing on "Home" computer:

    Double-click any folder -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab ->
    last item at bottom of list.

    Also, for Simple File Sharing, make sure that your Guest account does
    not have a password assigned and is "Active" (it doesn't matter if it
    is "Enabled" or not).

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jul 14, 2009
  6. zookeeper

    zookeeper Guest

    "John Wunderlich" <> wrote in message
    > "zookeeper" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "zookeeper" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> To over simplify, I have never created any passwords what-so-ever
    >>> in or on my home computer related to windows. In the past when
    >>> posting less, I got crap for not enough info. The only account I
    >>> have is administrator under safe mode and guest which is not
    >>> activated. I do not care if I have a password and prefer not to.
    >>> I simply am trying to find out why it is requesting one when I
    >>> never created one and of course, wanting the removal of it. I
    >>> have tried administrator for user and various other entries for
    >>> passwords, to no avail. The point of the long storie was that
    >>> laptop to laptop works. Either laptop to home computer does not
    >>> because of this password request. Oops getting long story again,
    >>> sorry!
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>>

    >> forgot to include!
    >> Laptop 1 Vista
    >> Laptop 2 Windows XP pro
    >> Home computer Windows XP pro

    > This sounds like a "Simple File Sharing" enabled vs disabled problem.
    >
    > With Simple File Sharing enabled, all access to shares is through the
    > "Guest" account. If the Guest account doesn't have a password, you
    > have access. It sounds like your home computer has disabled Simple
    > File Sharing. In that case, access is granted based on a
    > username/password approach. If the user name of the connecting user
    > does not match a user name on the server machine, then a login screen
    > is presented. Try enabling Simple File Sharing on "Home" computer:
    >
    > Double-click any folder -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab ->
    > last item at bottom of list.
    >
    > Also, for Simple File Sharing, make sure that your Guest account does
    > not have a password assigned and is "Active" (it doesn't matter if it
    > is "Enabled" or not).
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    John,
    I believe you are on the right track with your suggestions. I did follow
    your
    instructions and Simple File Sharing was unchecked and I checked it. I also
    enable the guest account. It has changed the problem, the request for user
    name and password is now replaced with the following:
    \\HOMECOMPUTER IS NOT ACCESSIBLE. You might not have permission
    to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
    find out if you have access permissions.

    Logon Failer: the user has not been grant the requested logon type
    at this computer
    I appreciatte your efforts on my behalf and hope you can figure this out!!

    Thanks

    zookeeper, Jul 14, 2009
  7. zookeeper

    zookeeper Guest

    I forgot to add that that I did perform a reboot after doing this.

    zookeeper, Jul 14, 2009
  8. In message <5o07m.783886$yE1.595274@attbi_s21>, "zookeeper" wrote:
    > I just recently made an attempt to network my home computer and laptop, so
    > that the laptop may see the
    > one shared folder I created on the home computer. When I open windows
    > explorer and click on the home computer
    > a dialogue box comes up asking for a user name and password. The weird
    > thing about this is I never created a user name
    > or password. I log into the home computer as administrator and that is the
    > only account I do have. There is no password
    > on this account either. What am I doing wrong and how do I remove this? I
    > am running xp pro at home and vista home premium
    > on the laptop. I am pulling my hair out on this and can not afford to lose
    > anymore.
    >
    > ps I can access my wife's laptop with is xp home and we are running
    > through
    > a Linksys router which is passworded for the wireless
    > portion only.
    >
    > Thank You

    M$ seems to think its Easy Peasy to network in Vista:
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e20e6875-7210-47bb-bf19-5c60
    e6ae86151033.mspx

    Heres something I snecked from a webforum:

    If you want to see XP from the Vista map,
    you must install the LLTD Responder on your XP machine; once you do that,
    it
    will light up on Vista. You can find the Responder at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4F01A31D-
    EE46...1E-BA11

    And somthing about firewalls:

    This is an issue with Vista firewall, all you have to do is turn it off. Your
    shares
    on the XP machine will then become apparent. Map your shared files and
    install any printers then turn the firewall back on. Thats it.

    This works both ways, so if you want to share on your vista machine its the
    same.

    And this bit of a horrible kludge to get M$uck products to play nicey nice:

    1. Determine IP addresses of each
    2. On XP machine type \\[Vista IP address] in Windows Explorer. (You should
    be able to see the Vista shared folders if this is going to work for you)
    3. Click into one of the shared folders
    4. On Vista machine type \\[XP IP address] in Windows Explorer. You should
    now be able to see the shared folders on the XP machine.

    It needs to be done in this exact order for it to work..."

    What a PITA. Glad I use BeOS :)

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 14, 2009
  9. >>
    >> This sounds like a "Simple File Sharing" enabled vs disabled
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> With Simple File Sharing enabled, all access to shares is through
    >> the "Guest" account. If the Guest account doesn't have a
    >> password, you have access. It sounds like your home computer has
    >> disabled Simple File Sharing. In that case, access is granted
    >> based on a username/password approach. If the user name of the
    >> connecting user does not match a user name on the server machine,
    >> then a login screen is presented. Try enabling Simple File
    >> Sharing on "Home" computer:
    >>
    >> Double-click any folder -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab ->
    >> last item at bottom of list.
    >>
    >> Also, for Simple File Sharing, make sure that your Guest account
    >> does not have a password assigned and is "Active" (it doesn't
    >> matter if it is "Enabled" or not).
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> John
    >>

    > John,
    > I believe you are on the right track with your suggestions. I did
    > follow your
    > instructions and Simple File Sharing was unchecked and I checked
    > it. I also enable the guest account. It has changed the problem,
    > the request for user name and password is now replaced with the
    > following:
    > \\HOMECOMPUTER IS NOT ACCESSIBLE. You might not
    > have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
    > administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    > permissions.
    >
    > Logon Failer: the user has not been grant the requested logon type
    > at this computer
    > --------------- I appreciatte your efforts on my behalf and hope
    > you can figure this out!!
    >
    > Thanks

    Make sure that your Guest account is "Active" (Enabling/Disabling has
    no effect). Bring up a command window (start->Run->Cmd) and enter
    the command:

    net user guest

    Make sure the "Account Active" line says "Yes"
    If not, enter the command:

    net user guest /active:yes

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jul 15, 2009
  10. zookeeper

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:23:08 GMT, zookeeper wrote:

    >"zookeeper" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:13:21 GMT, zookeeper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Long story.... why?
    >>> Too many confusing uses of home.

    >> To over simplify, I have never created any passwords what-so-ever in or on

    Easier if the below list was first :).

    >> my home computer related to windows. In the past when posting less, I got
    >> crap for not enough info. The only account I have is administrator under

    Ok a better summary ;-)

    >> safe mode and guest which is not activated. I do not care if I have a

    Safe Mode... where does that come into it? If normal boot it's the same
    or not?

    Then you would need to use administrator / same account on each PC. It's
    really a lot easier.

    >> password and prefer not to. I simply am trying to find out why it is

    Fair enough.

    >> requesting one when I never created one and of course, wanting the removal
    >> of it. I have tried administrator for user and various other entries for

    The Laptop 2 should alo have an account configured, it may be set to
    automatic login and you never notice. If you do CTRL-ALT-DEL does it
    give the login details? It could be an automatic login on a different
    account that could be part of the problem as well.

    >> passwords, to no avail. The point of the long storie was that laptop to
    >> laptop works. Either laptop to home computer does not because of this

    How odd, would have expected LT2 Win XP Pro/Home Win XP Pro to be the
    simple one. No complication of Vista.

    >> password request. Oops getting long story again, sorry!

    As JW mentioned the Simple File Sharing.

    >> Thank you
    >>

    >forgot to include!
    >Laptop 1 Vista
    >Laptop 2 Windows XP pro