    be limited by Hdd.

    Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.

    Thanks in advance.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Ryan_Jacobs Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:56:28 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
    >~200GB on them.
    >
    >Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
    >there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
    >
    >Thankfully it isn't overly my problem, but admin in charge of it is
    >about to kill someone by the looks of him, and I dont want to be the one.
    >
    >They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
    >be limited by Hdd.
    >

    >Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    There were a few MS updates today. Are you running a SUS server or
    maybe each client is getting updates direct from MS? Just a thought,
    it might explain the network problems.

    /Begin Sig
    Welcome to RJ's house of idiots
    #1. Redbaiter - the puppet - dances when I say so!
    #2. Harry the troll - enuff said!
    #3. Mr Scebe - still wearing my cum on his face!
    #4. <Position vacant>
    /End Sig

    Ryan_Jacobs, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Ryan_Jacobs wrote:
    >>we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
    >>~200GB on them.
    >>Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
    >>there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
    >>They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
    >>be limited by Hdd.
    >>Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.

    > There were a few MS updates today. Are you running a SUS server or
    > maybe each client is getting updates direct from MS? Just a thought,
    > it might explain the network problems.

    nope, but thanks... it's been happening for a few days(since friday)
    when the machines got bought into action premetuarly due to hardware
    failure in the old single server.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
    > ~200GB on them.
    >
    > Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
    > there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
    >
    > Thankfully it isn't overly my problem, but admin in charge of it is
    > about to kill someone by the looks of him, and I dont want to be the one.
    >
    > They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
    > be limited by Hdd.

    What OS are you running on the client machines?
    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Oct 13, 2004
  6. EMB wrote:
    > What OS are you running on the client machines?

    2k

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 13, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 13, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Oct 13, 2004
  9. JohnO wrote:
    >>>Running arcserve on the server? See below
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822219

    >>nope, but thanks.

    > Do all your NIC's have auto-negotiation off and full duplex on?

    everything is hard-set.
    The two file servers are on Broardcom GBit Fibre.
    All cisco networking gear of various types.

    Desktops are Intel or Broardcom Gbit set to 100 Full

    well, ~90% are... the rest um, I dont feel like checking at the moment,
    lots of workstations, not enough time in the day as it is.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 13, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Hmmm Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
    > ~200GB on them.
    >
    > Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
    > there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
    >
    > Thankfully it isn't overly my problem, but admin in charge of it is
    > about to kill someone by the looks of him, and I dont want to be the one.
    >
    > They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
    > be limited by Hdd.
    >

    > Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Does this happen each time? or only the first time?

    if the user saves something it takes 10 seconds.. if they save again
    immediately does it still take 10 seconds?

    I am just checking obvious things... such as windows 2003 killing the
    connection, which has a default timeout of 15 minutes of inactivity, so
    if they havent done anything and then save, it can take sometime to
    reconnect etc...

    local policies -> security options -> amount of idle time required
    before suspending session (default 15 mins)

    of course that might not have anything to do with it, but that caused
    big timeouts for me accessing a network drive hosted on 2003.

    Hmmmm

    Hmmm, Oct 13, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Craig Shore Guest

    <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >we have two win2k3 servers, each with ~1500 users each, and each with
    >~200GB on them.
    >
    >Basically, when users try to save to their network drives, it is sitting
    >there waiting for something... for ~10 seconds.
    >
    >Thankfully it isn't overly my problem, but admin in charge of it is
    >about to kill someone by the looks of him, and I dont want to be the one.
    >
    >They arent limited by CPU, memory, or LAN connection, and dont appear to
    >be limited by Hdd.
    >

    >Personally Im wondering if it is a dns/wins issue.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    It's basically the problem I am having between the machines here P2P. I suspect
    the 3rd party firewall has a lot to do with it.

    Craig Shore, Oct 13, 2004
  12. Hmmm wrote:
    > Does this happen each time? or only the first time?

    each time

    > if the user saves something it takes 10 seconds.. if they save again
    > immediately does it still take 10 seconds?

    oh, nope, it's fine if they do it again instantly.

    > I am just checking obvious things... such as windows 2003 killing the
    > connection, which has a default timeout of 15 minutes of inactivity, so
    > if they havent done anything and then save, it can take sometime to
    > reconnect etc...
    > local policies -> security options -> amount of idle time required
    > before suspending session (default 15 mins)

    just checked and they have changed it to 120mins

    > of course that might not have anything to do with it, but that caused
    > big timeouts for me accessing a network drive hosted on 2003.

    thanks anyway.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 13, 2004
  13. Craig Shore wrote:
    > It's basically the problem I am having between the machines here P2P. I suspect
    > the 3rd party firewall has a lot to do with it.

    ok, except no FW is running here.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 13, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> nope, but thanks.

    >> Do all your NIC's have auto-negotiation off and full duplex on?

    > everything is hard-set.
    > The two file servers are on Broardcom GBit Fibre.

    which appears to be the problem...
    something was wrong with the(admittedly default, but has worked in all
    other cases)) fibre connection settings... fixed it on one for the
    moment(requires reboot), the other can wait until early tomorrow morning
    for a reboot.

    It turned out that they were interfering with each other, essencially
    like a duplex mis-match, but not.

    One would hold the connection, flooding the fibre, the other couldn't
    connect, other one would flood the fibre, this one couldn't connect...

    Anyway, sorted now.

    thanks guys.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 14, 2004