    the error message.

    Any help would be appreciated
    Max
    Max, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Did you restart both machines after networking? Maybe that will help.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 2, 2005

  3. Max

    Max Guest

    Hi Andre,
    I did restart several times. The problem is hunting me already over several
    days.

    It was actually working before. Only when I installed a new harddisk in my
    notebook with WinXP Pro the desktop with WinXP 64bit gives me the "Access
    denied" message.

    I have access from the notebook to the desktop but not vice versa.

    In my first post I was mislead, I have no access at all from the desktop to
    the notebook.
    For testing purposes I created on both machines a shared directory with the
    name 'temp'. When I saw the directory on the desktop I thought it was the
    one on the notebook but it was actually the own local directory.

    Any more ideas?
    Max

    Max, Dec 2, 2005
  4. On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:14:02 +0700, "Max" <> wrote:

    >Hi Andre,
    >I did restart several times. The problem is hunting me already over several
    >days.
    >
    >It was actually working before. Only when I installed a new harddisk in my
    >notebook with WinXP Pro the desktop with WinXP 64bit gives me the "Access
    >denied" message.
    >
    >I have access from the notebook to the desktop but not vice versa.
    >
    >In my first post I was mislead, I have no access at all from the desktop to
    >the notebook.
    >For testing purposes I created on both machines a shared directory with the
    >name 'temp'. When I saw the directory on the desktop I thought it was the
    >one on the notebook but it was actually the own local directory.
    >
    >Any more ideas?

    I don't know if this will apply precisely to your setup, but when I
    was getting similar errors on a system with 1 XP PC, 1 XP x64 PC, and
    1 XP laptop connected to a cable modem via a Linksys router, the only
    reliable method to get all the machines talking to each other was to
    power down all of them and power down the router and cable modem.

    Then power up the modem, allow it time to sync up, then power up the
    router and allow it time to sync. Finally, power up each machine one
    by one, checking the IP assigned by the router using ipconfig /all
    from a CMD window.

    Powering up the PCs in the same order each time is also a good idea so
    the router will assign the same IP each time. It appears the PCs
    "remember" the IP they had been assigned last time which sometimes
    leads to conflicts causing "DNSACKS denied" by the router. If this is
    happening, you can see the errors in the XP Event Viewer.

    Hope some of that points you in the right direction. What I hate about
    networking is that sometimes it doesn't work and you fiddle around,
    and fiddle around, then suddenly it starts working and you wonder what
    the heck you did to fix it so you can duplicate it next time.
    J. Eric Durbin, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Max

    Ted Guest

    Try run the Network Setup Wizard.
    Also try the Repair option in the network connection.
    Be sure you have set the option Print And File Sharing.
    Let it sit for few minutes before trying again.

    Ted, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Max

    Ted Guest

    >and fiddle around, then suddenly it starts working and you wonder what
    >the heck you did to fix it so you can duplicate it next time.

    Just like hard headed mule

    Ted, Dec 2, 2005
  7. Max

    Max Guest

    Hi Eric,
    I managed to get the network running and it happened exactly as you said.

    I tried all sorts of settings, created new user, run repeatedly the setup
    wizard, rebooted and rebooted, switched on and off firewalls, checked many
    settings in the administrative tools - local Security settings, etc. and
    suddenly the "Access denied" was gone and I could access both computers.
    But I do not know what exactly was the problem.

    Thanks for all of you
    Max

    Max, Dec 3, 2005
  8. Ghost in the machine. :-O

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 3, 2005