    disconnected, B can see the wireless network, but of course can't see D.

    How do I get machine B to see the wireless network and the wired network
    simultaneously?
    Dennis Jelavic, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Dennis Jelavic

    mikeFNB Guest

    i think the answer lies with setting all machines to obtain to obtain ip
    automatically from the router, even the additional second cards.

    http://www.ezlan.net/

    that should help somewhere.

    mike

    "Dennis Jelavic" <> wrote in message
    > I have three computers, A (XP), B (XP) and C (Win2K) connected via an ad

    hoc
    > wireless network. Each is configured to dynamically obtain IP addresses

    from
    > a wireless router. Machine B has in addition to its wireless network

    adapter
    > a NIC through which it is connected to a fourth machine D (NT 4 Server)

    via
    > a cross over cable. The NIC on B has a static IP address of 192.168.0.51

    and
    > the NIC on D has a static IP address of 192.168.0.52
    >
    > When the cable is connecting B with D, machine B can see D but can't see

    any

    mikeFNB, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Dennis Jelavic

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    Easy:

    * Use separate Ip ranges for your wireless and wired networks
    * Make sure wireless NIC starts _after_ wired one (this one is easy to test)
    * Do not use default gateway setting on the wired Ethernet connection

    --
    Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
    -= F1 is the key =-

    S. Pidgorny, Feb 13, 2005
  4. If you are using a wireless router you are not in Ad-Hoc mode. You can not
    obtaing a DHCP IP if you are in ad-Hoc Mode.

    Ad-Hoc is for nrtworking computers together without an AP/Router/Switch.

    Robert Jacobs, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Thanks for the suggestions. I allocated static addresses 172.16.0.51 and
    172.16.0.52 to the two ethernet cards and that problem was resolved. However
    Svyatoslav, I didn't understand your comment to ensure "wireless NIC starts
    _after_ wired one". The wireless addresses are allocated automatically and I
    have no control over them!

    However I have now encountered a new problem. In trying to define a bridge
    across the wired and wireless networks I encounter an error telling me that
    I "must select at least two LAN or High Speed Internet connections that are
    not being used by Internet Connection Sharing". In fact I had selected the
    two icons on the Network Connections panel for the Wireless Network
    Connection and the local Area Connection and I had ensured that Internet
    Connection Sharing and Firewall were turned off for both connections. Any
    ideas on what is preventing bridging of the two networks.

    Thanks to all the respondents to my initial posting.

    By the way, the wireless network was in fact operating in "Infrastructure"
    mode not "Ad Hoc" mode as I originally stated.

    Dennis Jelavic

    Dennis Jelavic, Feb 14, 2005
  6. In order to make a bridge, you must have two connections to combine. Two
    side of a bridge, get it????? What two connections are you trying to
    bridge?????? your wireless connection and wired connection? I dont think
    that will work.... you know, forget about that.

    Reading your post why not use the router for your network completly. connect
    machine D into an ethernet port on your wireless router and let all
    computers recieve IPs via DHCP.

    Then you will have complete network access. If you dont want machines A and
    C to beable to log into machine D, thats simple enough to use a firewall to
    block the IPs on those machines.

    Robert....

    Robert Jacobs, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Dennis Jelavic

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    G'day:

    "Robert Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    > In order to make a bridge, you must have two connections to combine. Two
    > side of a bridge, get it????? What two connections are you trying to
    > bridge?????? your wireless connection and wired connection? I dont think
    > that will work.... you know, forget about that.

    I believe Dennis means a router when talking about a bridge. Although it is
    possible to configura the XP system as a router and use static routes on
    other computers so that they know where to send traffic for the 172-whatever
    network, I would agree to your suggestions: Dennis need simpler network.

    S. Pidgorny, Feb 14, 2005
  8. Thanks to both Robert and Svyatoslav. I connected the NT Server to the
    router and everything works fine now.

    Dennis Jelavic, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Glad to see your up....

    Robert Jacobs, Feb 15, 2005