netvmini.sys still not working on Windows 7 even after driver signing disabled ?! (Windows debug mod

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    I installed the netvmini.sys "debug/checked" driver on Windows 7 x64.

    I learned how to deactive "driver signing enforcement" during boot of
    Windows 7 x64.

    Now I boot into Windows 7 and the virtual network adapters are present in
    connection settings and such.

    They have IPv4 and IPv6 bindings and such and local area network addresses.

    I open the "test program". They ("Microsoft Virtual Ethernet Adapter") show
    up in the list.

    I try to sent "IOCTL"'s to them but it says:

    "Failed read".
    "Failed write".

    I suspect this might be because I booted into "normal mode".

    Maybe checked/debug drivers only work in "windows debug mode" ???

    I shall now attempt to:

    1. Boot Windows 7 x64 RTM in debug mode.

    and

    2. Disable driver signing.

    and

    3. Test again to see if this helped ?!

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009

  2. Ok,

    This time I booted into "windows debug mode" with "driver signing disabled".

    I used WinDbg to make sure that it was in windows debug mode.

    I open the "netvmini" test program.

    It lists a couple of network adapters and such...

    And then I click Action->"ioctl to control device".

    It says:

    "Failed to open the control device: Microsoft Virtual Ethernet Adapter".

    I wonder if this is maybe a problem with "dos symbolic links" ?

    Maybe it can't find it ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009

  3. Second part of solution:

    Test program must be "run as administrator".

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  4. Mystery solved see other post for more details.

    Apperently the example contains no code for the ioctl...

    It just does a "trace message"/dbgprint and a break.

    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009