    batch file.
    I am Running M/S XP Pro, recommended to contact M/s.
    any other help suggestions most welcome

    belto, Jul 19, 2006

  2. belto

    Yddap Guest

    In news:FQmvg.21491$,
    belto <> opined loudly:
    > Hi
    > I am trying to check my download speed on broadband.
    > Providers Help desk stated 6 MB average on a 10 MB installation.
    >
    > Another test was via cmd line where netstat -a was not
    > recognised,
    > error message;
    > is not recognised as an internal , external command, operable
    > programme, or batch file.
    > I am Running M/S XP Pro, recommended to contact M/s.
    > any other help suggestions most welcome

    type " netstat -a"where there is a space between netstat and the hyphen
    --

    Yddap

    Yddap, Jul 19, 2006

  3. belto

    chris Guest

    belto wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am trying to check my download speed on broadband.
    > Providers Help desk stated 6 MB average on a 10 MB installation.
    >
    > Another test was via cmd line where netstat -a was not
    > recognised,
    > error message;
    > is not recognised as an internal , external command, operable programme, or
    > batch file.
    > I am Running M/S XP Pro, recommended to contact M/s.
    > any other help suggestions most welcome

    netstat is great for finding spyware or network host/worm viruses, do this:

    cd %systemroot%
    dir netstat.*/s/b
    *** copy the full path of where the file is located [if it exists] then
    paste or type out the path on command line ***

    use these switches for more info: -a -b -n

    you can find out whats running, its process id, what its listening
    ip/ports are and its talking ports - and also what programs exectuable
    names they are (and any dependencies that rely on them for transmission)

    hope this helps,

    Chris

    chris, Jul 19, 2006
  4. belto

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:21:41 GMT, belto wrote:

    >Hi
    >I am trying to check my download speed on broadband.
    >Providers Help desk stated 6 MB average on a 10 MB installation.

    You should be able to get better than that, my crappy old Netgear RT314
    router is about 6.5Mbps, while a newer Belkin 7230-4 (IIRC) is 8-9Mbps.

    I also use the Dan Elwell test, it's mentioned a lot in BY posts and the
    BY FAQ IIRC.

    http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/

    Could be other info here.

    byUsers :: Speed Test Tutorial
    A step-by-step and Troubleshooting Tutorial to the official Blueyonder
    Speed Test - by Dan Elwell. In case you haven't already downloaded the
    Blueyonder ...
    www.by-users.co.uk/faqs/speedtest/ - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

    >Another test was via cmd line where netstat -a was not
    >recognised,
    >error message;
    >is not recognised as an internal , external command, operable programme, or
    >batch file.

    Go with the other posts there is a space between the t and -

    C:\Documents and Settings\username>netstat -a

    Active Connections

    Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP gsspc:daytime gsspc.home.invalid:0 LISTENING
    TCP gsspc:time gsspc.home.invalid:0 LISTENING
    TCP gsspc:http gsspc.home.invalid:0 LISTENING
    <snipped the rest>

    Watch for BY asking you to shutdown as many apps as possible, i.e. web ,
    news, mail and so on. If there are entries for those that will ask you
    to do it again.

    >I am Running M/S XP Pro, recommended to contact M/s.
    >any other help suggestions most welcome

    Me

    why?, Jul 19, 2006