    Ideas welcome!

    --
    Ian
    Ian Drake, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Ian Drake wrote:

    > I use Netscape 4.8 for email, on Windows 98 SE

    > I'm buying a new Windows XP machine, and will install Netscape 7 on
    > it.

    Since you have a fresh run at this, you might want to consider
    installing Mozilla instead. Netscape is based on it, but 1) is a few
    minor releases behind Moz itself, and 2) hangs AOL crap on it that isn't
    natively Mozillian.

    http://mozilla.org

    Also, since you mention using NS as a mail client: if you *only* use it
    for that[1], Moz now has a separate release of just its mail/news
    client, which doesn't make you load the browser. I think the mail/news
    module alone is called Phoenix.

    [1]Well, you didn't mention browsing with it, so it's possible.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    Happily slrning again.
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Ian Drake

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:31:12 +0000, Ian Drake <> wrote:

    >I use Netscape 4.8 for email, on Windows 98 SE
    >
    >I'm buying a new Windows XP machine, and will install Netscape 7 on it.
    >
    >What's the best way of migrating my email and address book to the new
    >machine
    >
    >Ideas welcome!

    Just copy the entire folder to the new machine. Netscape 7.x will find, and
    transfer the address book and bookmarks automatically.
    (copy the entire folder to: "C:\Program Files\Netscape")
    Unk, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Ian Drake

    Ian Drake Guest

    Hi Unk!

    Thanks for your suggestion.

    Unfortunately no good. I copied the entire folder and Netscape 7 just installed
    and didn't give me any of the old mail or address book. No options or anything.

    Has anyone any further ideas?

    The netscape online help seems useless, I couldn't find any help there. They
    have an email help service @ $9.95 per email! Would be good @ $9.95 per
    problem, but I can't imagine them getting it right first time...

    dismally
    Ian

    Unk wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:31:12 +0000, Ian Drake <> wrote:
    >
    > >I use Netscape 4.8 for email, on Windows 98 SE
    > >
    > >I'm buying a new Windows XP machine, and will install Netscape 7 on it.
    > >
    > >What's the best way of migrating my email and address book to the new
    > >machine
    > >
    > >Ideas welcome!

    > Just copy the entire folder to the new machine. Netscape 7.x will find, and
    > transfer the address book and bookmarks automatically.
    > (copy the entire folder to: "C:\Program Files\Netscape")

    --
    Ian Drake
    mailto:
    Ian Drake, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Ian Drake

    Boomer Guest

    Ian Drake, <> wrote:

    > Hi Unk!
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion.
    >
    > Unfortunately no good. I copied the entire folder and Netscape
    > 7 just installed and didn't give me any of the old mail or
    > address book. No options or anything.
    >
    > Has anyone any further ideas?

    Try a netscape or mozilla news group.

    Boomer, Jan 29, 2004