    irritating box from popping up?
    Thank-
    kathleen s
    kathleen shroyer, Mar 13, 2005

  2. kathleen shroyer

    Spider Guest

    Kathleen,
    My intial guess is that you are missing some sort of Netscape plugin. Many
    different things like Real Time, Macromedia, and Flash will require a
    browser plugin to open a page that contains them. What type of file will
    not open? You can browse around here:
    http://browser.netscape.com/nsb/help/default.jsp and see if you can find an
    answer. I did recently read a blog about Netscape and it was not real good.
    I'd link to it if I could remember who wrote it, but it was a fairly well
    known blogger. Basically he said that Netscape is pretty buggy at the
    moment although there was a lot he liked about it he was constantly having
    to troubleshoot errors etc. He ended up using it for about a week and went
    back to Firefox.

    --

    Spider

    http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
    http://spider1.blogspot.com/

    Spider, Mar 13, 2005

  3. Hey, Spider-
    I guess I was not clear in my problem-there is nothing to 'open'. This
    pops up when I am just going from one page to another, like, when
    reading in Yahoo groups. Instead of going to the next page, Netscape box
    opens and asks what to do with this file??? There is no file to open, I
    just want to go to the next page, URL, whatever. I just cancel. I guess
    I could re-install the Netscape exe. and see what happens. Could this
    work to eleviate the box from opening when it's not needed? I haven't
    installed/downloaded any new programs, this just started happening!
    Geez. I have used Netscape browser for almost 6 years and have never
    had a problem. I appreciate your time in answering me.
    kathleen

    kathleen shroyer, Mar 13, 2005
  4. kathleen shroyer

    Spider Guest

    Well, I still think it is possible that whatever page you are going to is
    trying to load something and not finding a needed plugin. I have not used
    Netscape in quite a few years so I am no longer familiar with it at all. If
    these are pages that you use to visit without error, is it possible they
    have revised their pages? You might try posting the links you are getting
    the errors at in here and asking someone who uses Netscape to try them out.
    A re-install of Netscape certainly won't hurt anything. I know you've been
    using Netscape for a long time, but you still might give some consideration
    to Firefox. I think you'll find it is a lot like Netscape but less resource
    intensive. It was built around Netscapes mozilla technology. Think of it
    as the son of Netscape. You can look it over here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and give it a test run. You do not
    have to make it your default browser until you decide you want to use it.
    Thunderbird ( http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ ) is the
    companion email software and is very good.

    Spider, Mar 13, 2005
  5. kathleen shroyer

    Frankin Guest

    Install the netscape 8.0 beta.
    I'm using it now and works well . When you need a plug-in it will ask to
    install it in the popup bar.

    Frankin, Mar 13, 2005
  6. kathleen shroyer

    elaich Guest

    kathleen shroyer <> wrote in

    > Could someone tell me why, all of a sudden, Netscape box keeps popping
    > up, saying;
    >
    > NETSCAPE UNABLE TO OPEN FILE....
    > WHAT SHOULD NETSCAPE DO WITH THIS FILE....
    > OPEN IT WITH...., etc, etc, etc,

    You didn't say what version of Netscape you are using. Hard to tell
    anything without that info.
    elaich, Mar 14, 2005
  7. I forgot to say I am using Netscape 7.1. I am going to go ahead and
    re-install it and see if that fixes the pop-ups. I will certainly look
    at the Firefox site as well as the the Netscape 8 beta. I'll try
    anything if I don't have to use IE.
    Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.
    kathleen in MI

    kathleen shroyer, Mar 14, 2005
  8. kathleen shroyer

    elaich Guest

    kathleen shroyer <> wrote in

    >>>Could someone tell me why, all of a sudden, Netscape box keeps popping
    >>>up, saying;
    >>>
    >>>NETSCAPE UNABLE TO OPEN FILE....
    >>>WHAT SHOULD NETSCAPE DO WITH THIS FILE....
    >>>OPEN IT WITH...., etc, etc, etc,

    By all means, I would install the Netscape 8 beta or Firefox. Not much
    difference between them. Both will import your 7.1 settings and bokkmarks.
    elaich, Mar 14, 2005