    Does anyone know the maximum number of inbox headers netscape 7.1 or
    Mozilla 1.6 can handle.
    Links to some kind of official documentation would be nice.
    Disco Stu, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Disco Stu

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:45:01 +1200, Disco Stu wrote:

    > Dudes,
    >
    > Does anyone know the maximum number of inbox headers netscape 7.1 or
    > Mozilla 1.6 can handle.
    > Links to some kind of official documentation would be nice.

    any reason why it wouldn't be only limited by your harddrive size?
    -[Myth]-, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Disco Stu

    steve Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:45:01 +1200, Disco Stu wrote:
    >

    >>Dudes,
    >>
    >>Does anyone know the maximum number of inbox headers netscape 7.1 or
    >>Mozilla 1.6 can handle.
    >>Links to some kind of official documentation would be nice.

    > any reason why it wouldn't be only limited by your harddrive size?

    Or the maximum file size....(2GB on some versions of Windows?)
    steve, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Disco Stu

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 23:10:03 +1200, in article
    <>, steve wrote:

    > -[Myth]- wrote:
    > > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:45:01 +1200, Disco Stu wrote:
    > >

    > >>Dudes,
    > >>
    > >>Does anyone know the maximum number of inbox headers netscape 7.1 or
    > >>Mozilla 1.6 can handle.
    > >>Links to some kind of official documentation would be nice.

    > > any reason why it wouldn't be only limited by your harddrive size?

    > Or the maximum file size....(2GB on some versions of Windows?)

    Or memory -- as the index file (*.msf) is XML (not fixed record length)
    and so needs to be entirely read into memory and written out again to
    be updated.
    Ralph Fox, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Disco Stu

    Disco Stu Guest

    steve wrote:
    > -[Myth]- wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:45:01 +1200, Disco Stu wrote:
    >>

    >>> Dudes,
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know the maximum number of inbox headers netscape 7.1 or
    >>> Mozilla 1.6 can handle.
    >>> Links to some kind of official documentation would be nice.

    >> any reason why it wouldn't be only limited by your harddrive size?

    > Or the maximum file size....(2GB on some versions of Windows?)

    Seems to be. All clients I've tried crash when trying to pull down
    80,000 headers into an IMAP inbox.

    Just wondering if anyone knows of any doco that has recommended maximums.
    Disco Stu, Jun 2, 2004
  6. Disco Stu

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:36:32 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > Or memory -- as the index file (*.msf) is XML (not fixed record length)
    > and so needs to be entirely read into memory and written out again to be
    > updated.

    Not necessarily. That might be true for a DOM style XML parser, but others
    don't have that restriction (eg SAX).

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 2, 2004