Netscape mail question

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jim Cate, Apr 7, 2009.

  1. Jim Cate

    Jim Cate Guest

    I don't know where to post this message, but perhaps someone on this ng can
    direct me. - After using Netscape mail for a number of years, it suddenly
    stopped accepting my password. (When logging on, I got a message that my
    password or screen name are invalid.) My interenet provider techies weren't
    able to get me back on Netscape mail but did help set up new mail service on
    ATT/Yahoo and also on Outlook Express. The problem is that I had several
    email messages on my Netscape inbox (six or seven days old) that I hadn't
    responded to, and I am unable to get them. Interestingly, I can locate the
    Netscape "messages" file on my C-drive, but I can't open the file or import
    it into OE. - Apparently they are in an unusual format, and a particular
    program is required to open them. Another problem is that the file is huge,
    and hard to work with (takes forever to copy or save, etc.).

    Again, if there is another, more relevant newsgroup to which I should post
    regarding this matter, please let me know. - But if there are some old
    Netscape users on this ng, any advice or suggestions will be appreciated. -
    Also, has there been a recent change in Netscape that would explain why my
    Netscape mail service suddenly became inoperative. (I know that Netscape
    hasn't been supported for the past year, and I believe that they were merged
    with AOL. - Try Thunderbird?)

    Thanks,
    Jim Cate

    Jim Cate, Apr 7, 2009

  2. Jim Cate wrote:
    > I don't know where to post this message, but perhaps someone on this ng can
    > direct me. - After using Netscape mail

    are you talking about Netscape 4.x or 7.x or Netscape
    Webmail or something else?

    > for a number of years, it suddenly
    > stopped accepting my password. (When logging on, I got a message that my
    > password or screen name are invalid.) My interenet provider techies weren't
    > able to get me back on Netscape mail but did help set up new mail service on
    > ATT/Yahoo and also on Outlook Express.

    if you're talking about the program, then what are you
    trying to connect to? ATT/Yahoo?

    > The problem is that I had several
    > email messages on my Netscape inbox (six or seven days old) that I hadn't
    > responded to, and I am unable to get them. Interestingly, I can locate the
    > Netscape "messages" file on my C-drive, but I can't open the file or import
    > it into OE.

    again, are you talking about the program? If so, then
    how are you accessing your email account? POP3 or IMAP?

    > - Apparently they are in an unusual format, and a particular
    > program is required to open them. Another problem is that the file is huge,
    > and hard to work with (takes forever to copy or save, etc.).
    >
    > Again, if there is another, more relevant newsgroup to which I should post
    > regarding this matter, please let me know. - But if there are some old
    > Netscape users on this ng, any advice or suggestions will be appreciated. -
    > Also, has there been a recent change in Netscape that would explain why my
    > Netscape mail service suddenly became inoperative. (I know that Netscape
    > hasn't been supported for the past year, and I believe that they were merged
    > with AOL. - Try Thunderbird?)

    if you're talking about Netscape, the program, and you
    like it, then I would look at a program called
    SeaMonkey. Netscape is a dead end product, however,
    the development and continuation is in SeaMonkey. If
    you know how to work Netscape, the program, then you'll
    be able to use SeaMonkey:
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/. The best thing
    about SeaMonkey is it will pick up all your data,
    prefs, bookmarks, passwords, etc.

    Thunderbird is an email program only, and you'd need a
    browser, like Firefox.

    > Thanks,
    > Jim Cate

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 7, 2009

  3. Jim Cate

    Jim Cate Guest

    "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    wrote in message news:grenjp$7ld$...
    > Jim Cate wrote:
    >> I don't know where to post this message, but perhaps someone on this ng
    >> can direct me. - After using Netscape mail

    > are you talking about Netscape 4.x or 7.x or Netscape Webmail or something
    > else?

    I had been using Netscape 7x (7.2) for webmail and newsgroups. I'm using
    FireFox or IE for browsers.

    >> for a number of years, it suddenly stopped accepting my password. (When
    >> logging on, I got a message that my password or screen name are invalid.)
    >> My interenet provider techies weren't able to get me back on Netscape
    >> mail but did help set up new mail service on ATT/Yahoo and also on
    >> Outlook Express.

    > if you're talking about the program, then what are you trying to connect
    > to? ATT/Yahoo?

    I'm talking about Netscape mail. (Is that what you mean by "the program.?")
    I liked the Netscape format, and was able to look at prior mail and folders
    of saved messages, etc.

    >> The problem is that I had several email messages on my Netscape inbox
    >> (six or seven days old) that I hadn't responded to, and I am unable to
    >> get them. Interestingly, I can locate the Netscape "messages" file on my
    >> C-drive, but I can't open the file or import it into OE.

    > again, are you talking about the program?

    What do you mean by "the program"? Again, happened to like the way Netscape
    mail (in Netscape 7.x) was arranged, although that's all I used from
    Netscape. (Again, I used FireFox or IE for browsing the web.)

    If so, then
    > how are you accessing your email account? POP3 or IMAP?

    POP3. Currently, I can read and send mail via Outlook Express and
    Att/Yahoo. - But I haven't been able to retrieve or download my old mail,
    folders, etc.

    >> - Apparently they are in an unusual format, and a particular program is
    >> required to open them. Another problem is that the file is huge, and hard
    >> to work with (takes forever to copy or save, etc.).
    >>
    >> Again, if there is another, more relevant newsgroup to which I should
    >> post regarding this matter, please let me know. - But if there are some
    >> old Netscape users on this ng, any advice or suggestions will be
    >> appreciated. - Also, has there been a recent change in Netscape that
    >> would explain why my Netscape mail service suddenly became inoperative.
    >> (I know that Netscape hasn't been supported for the past year, and I
    >> believe that they were merged with AOL. - Try Thunderbird?)

    > if you're talking about Netscape, the program, [my questions answered.]
    > and you like it, then I would look at a program called SeaMonkey.
    > Netscape is a dead end product, however, the development and continuation
    > is in SeaMonkey. If you know how to work Netscape, the program, then
    > you'll be able to use SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/. The
    > best thing about SeaMonkey is it will pick up all your data, prefs,
    > bookmarks, passwords, etc.

    Thanks, I'll give it a try, although I like FireFox for browsing.

    > Thunderbird is an email program only, and you'd need a browser, like
    > Firefox.

    Thanks,
    Jim Cate

    Jim Cate, Apr 7, 2009
  4. Jim Cate wrote:
> [...]

    >>> appreciated. - Also, has there been a recent change in Netscape that
    >>> would explain why my Netscape mail service suddenly became inoperative.
    >>> (I know that Netscape hasn't been supported for the past year, and I
    >>> believe that they were merged with AOL. - Try Thunderbird?)

    >> if you're talking about Netscape, the program, [my questions answered.]
    >> and you like it, then I would look at a program called SeaMonkey.
    >> Netscape is a dead end product, however, the development and continuation
    >> is in SeaMonkey. If you know how to work Netscape, the program, then
    >> you'll be able to use SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/. The
    >> best thing about SeaMonkey is it will pick up all your data, prefs,
    >> bookmarks, passwords, etc.
    >>

    > Thanks, I'll give it a try, although I like FireFox for browsing.
    >

    >> Thunderbird is an email program only, and you'd need a browser, like

    OK, lets try this: open the password manager [under
    Tools], and remove the entries for your email account.
    There might be two. One for you user name and the
    other for your password. Now try to access your mail.
    Did this work?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 7, 2009
  5. Jim Cate

    wrote in message news:grfp6d$ntf$...
    > Jim Cate wrote:
    >> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> are you talking about Netscape 4.x or 7.x or Netscape Webmail or
    >>> something else?

    >> I had been using Netscape 7x (7.2) for webmail and newsgroups. I'm using
    >> FireFox or IE for browsers.

    >>> if you're talking about the program, then what are you trying to connect
    >>> to? ATT/Yahoo?

    >> Thanks, I'll give it a try, although I like FireFox for browsing.

    > OK, lets try this: open the password manager [under Tools], and remove the
    > entries for your email account. There might be two. One for you user name
    > and the other for your password. Now try to access your mail. Did this
    > work?

    This did permit me to open the Netscape local folder with the archived mail
    I was looking for. The Netscape incoming and outgoing mail still doesn't
    work (asks for password, which doesn't work), but I do have mail service and
    newsgroups on IE. Bottom line is that I will be able to function (although I
    would like to know why my Netscape 7 mail went down).

    Thanks very much.

    Jim Cate

    Jim Cate, Apr 7, 2009
  6. Jim Cate

    Justin Guest

    Jim Cate wrote on [Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:36:43 -0500]:

    > "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    > wrote in message news:grfp6d$ntf$...
    >> Jim Cate wrote:
    >>> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> I had been using Netscape 7x (7.2) for webmail and newsgroups. I'm using
    >>> FireFox or IE for browsers.

    >>> Thanks, I'll give it a try, although I like FireFox for browsing.

    >> OK, lets try this: open the password manager [under Tools], and remove the
    >> entries for your email account. There might be two. One for you user name
    >> and the other for your password. Now try to access your mail. Did this
    >> work?
    >>

    > This did permit me to open the Netscape local folder with the archived mail
    > I was looking for. The Netscape incoming and outgoing mail still doesn't
    > work (asks for password, which doesn't work), but I do have mail service and
    > newsgroups on IE. Bottom line is that I will be able to function (although I
    > would like to know why my Netscape 7 mail went down).
    >
    > Thanks very much.

    What email service are you using. I vaguely remember there was a
    netscape email service that was somehow related to AOL, that only the
    Netscape application could access.

    Justin, Apr 7, 2009
  7. Jim Cate

    wrote in message news:grgeq8$q4v$-news-network.org...
    > Jim Cate wrote:
    >> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> OK, lets try this: open the password manager [under Tools], and remove
    >>> the entries for your email account. There might be two. One for you
    >>> user name and the other for your password. Now try to access your mail.
    >>> Did this work?
    >>>

    >> This did permit me to open the Netscape local folder with the archived
    >> mail I was looking for. The Netscape incoming and outgoing mail still
    >> doesn't work (asks for password, which doesn't work), but I do have mail
    >> service and newsgroups on IE. Bottom line is that I will be able to
    >> function (although I would like to know why my Netscape 7 mail went
    >> down).
    >>
    >> Thanks very much.
    >>
    >> Jim Cate

    > well, now I'm even more confused. IE is just a browser, and yet you say
    > you get mail and newsgroups using it.

    Sorry. I should have said Outlook Express. - It's the first time I've used
    it.

    One minute you say you have a password
    > problem, now you say thats not your problem.

    Nope. It's still my problem, in that I can't send or receive email using
    Netscape mail, which tells me that my password isn't acceptable. However, as
    noted above, I am able to retrieve the archived mail messages using Netscape
    mail.

    I still
    > have no idea if you're talking about access your email with a browser
    > using the webmail, or if you're using the mail part of Netscape.

    I'm able to access and send email using either Outlook Express or ATT/yahoo.

    > When you say Netscape 7.2, that includes several things: a browser, a
    > mail/news application, a web page maker, and instant messaging.

    As noted previously, I was only using the mail and newsgroup portions of
    Netscape 7x. For web browsing, I use either FireFox or IE. (Seems like I
    have stated this several times already.)

    > Until you explain yourself clearly, I no longer can help you. Someone else
    > will have to. Good luck!

    Sorry for my error. - This is the first time I have used Outlook Express, so
    I'm not familiar with it. - In any event, I hope you will be able to have
    an enjoyable evening nonetheless.

    Jim

    Jim Cate, Apr 8, 2009