    (naturally) includes the "OK" to close that message box.
    That makes NetScape useless.
    How do i fix it?

    Robert Baer, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Robert Baer

    Wizard Guest

    1) Delete the cache files & index from explorer
    2) delete the history file (netscape.hst)
    3) uninstall then reinstall if those fail

    Wizard, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Wizard wrote:

    > 1) Delete the cache files & index from explorer
    > 2) delete the history file (netscape.hst)
    > 3) uninstall then reinstall if those fail
    >
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > *Immediately* after launching Netscape, ie: clicking on the shortcut,
    > > i get the error message "Failed to create empty document" which
    > > (naturally) includes the "OK" to close that message box.
    > > That makes NetScape useless.
    > > How do i fix it?

    1) I do not use IE, Outlook or Outlook Express; they aer scrubbed from
    my HD and from the registry.
    2) I run a batch file on boot that erases everything in the cache and
    temp directories.
    3) The only thing that *did* work was a "reinstall" (copied files from
    backup HD to runnung HD).
    But i am very curious as to what may have happened; any guesses?

    Robert Baer, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Robert Baer

    Wizard Guest

    Let me be a little more clear:

    1) delete the cache files in the Netscape directory using windows
    Explorer including the indez file.
    2) delete the history file in the Netscape directory (netscape.hst)

    Wizard, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Robert Baer

    Night_Seer Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Wizard wrote:
    >>
    >> 1) Delete the cache files & index from explorer
    >> 2) delete the history file (netscape.hst)
    >> 3) uninstall then reinstall if those fail
    >>
    >> Robert Baer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> *Immediately* after launching Netscape, ie: clicking on the
    >>> shortcut, i get the error message "Failed to create empty document"
    >>> which (naturally) includes the "OK" to close that message box.
    >>> That makes NetScape useless.
    >>> How do i fix it?

    > 1) I do not use IE, Outlook or Outlook Express; they aer scrubbed from
    > my HD and from the registry.
    > 2) I run a batch file on boot that erases everything in the cache and
    > temp directories.
    > 3) The only thing that *did* work was a "reinstall" (copied files from
    > backup HD to runnung HD).
    > But i am very curious as to what may have happened; any guesses?

    Quick question...if you don't use IE, and have uninstalled it, how do
    you use Windows Update? I am guessing you probably use the network install
    downloads, but how do you keep track of what you need, and what you already
    installed...seems like a pain in the but to me.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Night_Seer wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > > Wizard wrote:
    > >>
    > >> 1) Delete the cache files & index from explorer
    > >> 2) delete the history file (netscape.hst)
    > >> 3) uninstall then reinstall if those fail

    > > 1) I do not use IE, Outlook or Outlook Express; they aer scrubbed from
    > > my HD and from the registry.
    > > 2) I run a batch file on boot that erases everything in the cache and
    > > temp directories.
    > > 3) The only thing that *did* work was a "reinstall" (copied files from
    > > backup HD to runnung HD).
    > > But i am very curious as to what may have happened; any guesses?

    > Quick question...if you don't use IE, and have uninstalled it, how do
    > you use Windows Update? I am guessing you probably use the network install
    > downloads, but how do you keep track of what you need, and what you already
    > installed...seems like a pain in the but to me.
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer

    I do *NOT* use Windows update or any other update system or software.
    Micro$oft is well known for their bad software and worse "patches".
    I use Win98Se from the CD, with IE, OE, etc *ripped* out, and NetScape
    4.75 with AIM *RIPPED OUT* as well.
    The only program that gets an update is Norton anti-virus, and i
    download the definitions !manually!.
    So far, maybe because i use "obsolete" software, i have had zero
    viruses attack my system since the IBM PC came out (1980).
    I also run 3 OSes: PCDOS 7.1, Win98SE and Win2K.

    Robert Baer, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Robert Baer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in

    > I do *NOT* use Windows update or any other update system or software.

    That's quite dangerous to do, and I'm very glad you didn't advise anyone to
    do the same.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote in
    >
    > > I do *NOT* use Windows update or any other update system or software.
    > >

    > That's quite dangerous to do, and I'm very glad you didn't advise anyone to
    > do the same.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    Pray tell, why is that policy dangerous, and in what way(s)?

    Robert Baer, Oct 18, 2003
  9. Robert Baer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3F90D611.9ED22533
    @earthlink.net:

    > Pray tell, why is that policy dangerous, and in what way(s)?

    You are saying you do not update your system on a regular basis. That is
    very, very dangerous to do with a Windows OS. MS released 5 security
    patches this week.

    You may run an outdated OS like 98, which will protect you from some of the
    newer exploits, but you are advocating that OS updates are not essential.
    Look at the recent worm attacks. You include 2000 in your list of OSes you
    run, do you update that or do you let that go as well? Practicing security
    through obscurity is not a good way to keep safe.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 18, 2003
  10. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3F90D611.9ED22533
    > @earthlink.net:
    >
    > > Pray tell, why is that policy dangerous, and in what way(s)?
    > >

    > You are saying you do not update your system on a regular basis. That is
    > very, very dangerous to do with a Windows OS. MS released 5 security
    > patches this week.
    >
    > You may run an outdated OS like 98, which will protect you from some of the
    > newer exploits, but you are advocating that OS updates are not essential.
    > Look at the recent worm attacks. You include 2000 in your list of OSes you
    > run, do you update that or do you let that go as well? Practicing security
    > through obscurity is not a good way to keep safe.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    I run Win2K (NTFS), but do not use it on the net, making it relatively
    immune from attack, as i run Win98SE in FAT16 mode for Net surfing.
    I do not advocate to others what i do with my OSes.
    But i know others that independently have done the same with similar
    good results.
    Everyone picks their own poison.....

    Robert Baer, Oct 19, 2003
  11. Robert Baer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3F923288.FBC73C68
    @earthlink.net:

    > I run Win2K (NTFS), but do not use it on the net, making it relatively
    > immune from attack, as i run Win98SE in FAT16 mode for Net surfing.

    What file system you use is completely irrelevant. By using Windows 2000
    off the net, do you mean you simply don't surf the net, or you have all
    networking aspects disabled and the NIC disabled? No longer is not surfing
    the net an immunity to viruses. The most recent worm exploited a hole in a
    Windows 2000 that didn't require you doing anything but actually having a
    network connection. There was no web browser, email client, malicious
    program, nothing required. If you were unpatched, and you were attacked by
    a compromised machine, you were infected and there was nothing you could
    not do to stop it.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 19, 2003
  12. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3F923288.FBC73C68
    > @earthlink.net:
    >
    > > I run Win2K (NTFS), but do not use it on the net, making it relatively
    > > immune from attack, as i run Win98SE in FAT16 mode for Net surfing.

    > What file system you use is completely irrelevant. By using Windows 2000
    > off the net, do you mean you simply don't surf the net, or you have all
    > networking aspects disabled and the NIC disabled? No longer is not surfing
    > the net an immunity to viruses. The most recent worm exploited a hole in a
    > Windows 2000 that didn't require you doing anything but actually having a
    > network connection. There was no web browser, email client, malicious
    > program, nothing required. If you were unpatched, and you were attacked by
    > a compromised machine, you were infected and there was nothing you could
    > not do to stop it.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    I have *no* network or a NIC.
    The only time i "connect" to the net is via Win98SE using an external
    modem from serial port to POTS.

    Robert Baer, Oct 20, 2003