Netscape 8.0 has been released.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jerry Wong, May 21, 2005.

  1. Jerry Wong

    Jerry Wong Guest

    Jerry Wong, May 21, 2005

  2. Shenan Stanley, May 21, 2005

  3. In news:,
    Jerry Wong <> replied with a ;-)
    > Please try!
    >
    > http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/

    Please don't, http://www.betanews.com/article/Newborn_Netscape_Has_Defects/1116622534
    "Lead Firefox engineer Ben Goodger criticized the slip up, stating, "If security is important to you, this demonstration should show that browsers that are redistributions of the official Mozilla releases are never going to give you security updates as quickly as Mozilla will itself for its supported products," in his personal Web blog.

    Goodger encourages Internet users to use Firefox in lieu of Netscape, deeming it a more secure Web browser. To prove his point, Goodger published exploit code demonstrating Netscape's vulnerabilities."

    As any browser gains popularity it's vulnerabilities will be exploited. You must always be carefull when browsing the web. It is a shame that the low life mentality of a few disillusioned individuals impacts the usefulness of the internet.

    Always check before leaping.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

    Michael Stevens, May 21, 2005
  4. Jerry Wong

    Alias Guest

    Anything made by AOL should be avoided at all costs!

    Alias

    "Jerry Wong" <> wrote

    Alias, May 21, 2005
  5. Michael Stevens wrote:
    <cut<
    > As any browser gains popularity it's vulnerabilities will be exploited.
    > You must always be carefull when browsing the web. It is a shame that
    > the low life mentality of a few disillusioned individuals impacts the
    > usefulness of the internet.

    That's the point, however if browser "population" is more evenly spread,
    the chances of a specific attack is spread accordingly.
    Thus a heterogeneous environment has the potention to be more stable
    then a homogeneous one.
    To bad that a homogeneous environment has more potention to interoperate
    then the heterogeneous. Of course this could be resolved by fully
    following standards, but then again it if everybody does that, the
    heterogeneous part disappears and by this the potential advantage of
    stability. So choose your poison wisely.

    --
    mph

    Martin P. Hellwig, May 21, 2005
  6. Jerry Wong

    Rick Guest

    Rick, May 21, 2005
  7. Its an annoying browser.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2005
  8. Jerry Wong

    NNBXX Guest

    Agree. Prefer Firefox by far.

    NNBXX, May 21, 2005

    Rick wrote:
    > If you had read the article carefully, you would have noted that
    > Netscape updated their download file late Thursday and the current
    > download has the security risk fixed.
    >
    > YOUR INFORMATION IS OUT OF DATE!

    No - actually my information is not out of date - it is still correct - the
    first security patches have been released since the initial release.
    Sadly (predictably some would argue) only a short time after the browswer
    was released to the public.

    Not to mention that is why I pointed to the article... If it can have
    defects on day 1... it will have defects on day 500.
    Just proving there is no perfect browser... After all, if there was - then
    there would have been no point in Netscape still trying in the first place.
    heh

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, May 21, 2005
  10. Jerry Wong

    Jerry Wong Guest

    No matter 8.0 or 8.0.1, let's try it!

    --
    Jerry Wong

    http://www.geocities.com/jerrywong.geo

    ????????? ??????,???????(??3:13)
    But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to
    new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
    (2 Peter 3:13)
    "Rick" <> ???????:...

    Jerry Wong, May 21, 2005
  11. Jerry Wong

    Rick Guest

    They all have their idiosyncrocies.

    Firefox won't save my login properly for my cellular account. The login
    id is my phone number, but it's in 3 separate fields. Firefox only
    saves the last field, 4 numbers. Netscape 7.2 & 8.0.1 save the entire
    number correctly.

    You just have to be smarter than the browser!

    Rick, May 21, 2005
  12. Jerry Wong

    The_Rock Guest

    its a cone of firefox ... come on now ....

    VC

    The_Rock, May 21, 2005
  13. Why Jerry, do you like being annoyed?

    Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2005
  14. Jerry Wong

    Rick Guest

    But the point is you did not read the article. The early release on
    Thursday morning was based on Firefox 1.0.3 and Netscape quickly updated
    the download version with the Firefox 1.0.4 security fix and that is
    what is now available.

    It is also a very real fact that there are fewer security and privacy
    risks in Opera 8.00, Firefox 1.0.4, and now Netscape 8.0.1.

    So, your information is still just as out of date as it was in the
    beginning!

    Rick, May 21, 2005

    Rick wrote:
    > But the point is you did not read the article. The early release on
    > Thursday morning was based on Firefox 1.0.3 and Netscape quickly
    > updated the download version with the Firefox 1.0.4 security fix and
    > that is what is now available.
    >
    > It is also a very real fact that there are fewer security and privacy
    > risks in Opera 8.00, Firefox 1.0.4, and now Netscape 8.0.1.
    >
    > So, your information is still just as out of date as it was in the
    > beginning!

    Perhaps you should read before you respond... I left my first response to
    you above so you could go back and see that not only did I read it, but my
    point still stands.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, May 21, 2005
  16. Jerry Wong

    Rick Guest

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >
    >>No - actually my information is not out of date - it is still
    >>correct - the first security patches have been released since the
    >>initial release. Sadly (predictably some would argue) only a short time
    >>after the
    >>browswer was released to the public.
    >>
    >>Not to mention that is why I pointed to the article... If it can
    >>have defects on day 1... it will have defects on day 500.
    >>Just proving there is no perfect browser... After all, if there was
    >>- then there would have been no point in Netscape still trying in
    >>the first place. heh

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >>But the point is you did not read the article. The early release on
    >>Thursday morning was based on Firefox 1.0.3 and Netscape quickly
    >>updated the download version with the Firefox 1.0.4 security fix and
    >>that is what is now available.
    >>
    >>It is also a very real fact that there are fewer security and privacy
    >>risks in Opera 8.00, Firefox 1.0.4, and now Netscape 8.0.1.
    >>
    >>So, your information is still just as out of date as it was in the
    >>beginning!

    > Perhaps you should read before you respond... I left my first response to
    > you above so you could go back and see that not only did I read it, but my
    > point still stands.

    Then, if you think you have made some valid point, give me an example of
    any software that has ever been produced that didn't have a defect!

    No such software has ever existed, and probably never will! So, your
    point is absolutely pointless!

    Rick, May 21, 2005
  17. Rick wrote:
    > Then, if you think you have made some valid point, give me an example
    > of any software that has ever been produced that didn't have a defect!
    >
    > No such software has ever existed, and probably never will! So, your
    > point is absolutely pointless!

    Thank you for understanding my point..
    And pointing it out again.
    Glad you agree, finally.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, May 21, 2005
  18. You see what Netscape is doing to us.

    Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2005
  19. Jerry Wong

    anonymus Guest

    Hey this thing is a very annoying subject. !

    anonymus, May 21, 2005
  20. Jerry Wong

    NNBXX Guest

    Excellent :)