Netscape 7.2 and midi files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jeff_wisnia, Aug 12, 2010.

  1. jeff_wisnia

    jeff_wisnia Guest

    I accepted Apple's offer to upgrade Quicktime on my Windows XP computer
    and after it installed I found that my Netscape 7.2 will no longer play
    midi files.

    I've got a few personal pages I created which have html code like this
    in them for playing "background music":

    <embed src="wamk576.mid" autostart="true" loop="true" height="16"
    width="16">

    That code plays the midi fine if the page is opened in IE, It used to do
    so in Netscape 7.2 but that ceased immediately after I upgraded
    Quicktime. A tiny icon appears where that code is located on the page,
    but no sound is heard.

    The "About Plugins" list under "Help" isn't showing anything with a
    ".mid" suffix.

    I've searched around for a midi plugin for Netscape 7.2 but can't seem
    to find one.

    Please don't trash me for being a Luddite and still using Netscape 7.2
    occasionally.

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff

    --
    Jeffry Wisnia
    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    jeff_wisnia, Aug 12, 2010

  2. jeff_wisnia

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:28:27 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

    > I accepted Apple's offer to upgrade Quicktime on my Windows XP computer
    > and after it installed I found that my Netscape 7.2 will no longer play
    > midi files.
    >
    > I've got a few personal pages I created which have html code like this
    > in them for playing "background music":
    >
    > <embed src="wamk576.mid" autostart="true" loop="true" height="16"
    > width="16">
    >
    > That code plays the midi fine if the page is opened in IE, It used to do
    > so in Netscape 7.2 but that ceased immediately after I upgraded
    > Quicktime. A tiny icon appears where that code is located on the page,
    > but no sound is heard.
    >
    > The "About Plugins" list under "Help" isn't showing anything with a
    > ".mid" suffix.
    >
    > I've searched around for a midi plugin for Netscape 7.2 but can't seem
    > to find one.
    >
    > Please don't trash me for being a Luddite and still using Netscape 7.2
    > occasionally.
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Jeff

    Look for MIME type association settings in Netscape. I haven't messed
    with it but other applications requiring instructions on what to launch
    to for specific MIME types need told what to do.

    Meat Plow, Aug 12, 2010