    Or perhaps it is a Win XP Pro setting?

    Thanks for your help,

    Nick

    nrennie, Dec 19, 2003

  2. nrennie

    Lebowski Guest

    "nrennie" <> wrote in message
    news:bru6u3$c2e$...
    > Hi,
    >

    > I've just installed Netscape 7.1 on a new machine and I can only get 2
    > downloads running at once.
    >
    > Does anyway know of a way to allow more?
    >
    > Or perhaps it is a Win XP Pro setting?
    >

    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Nick

    Why not try a download manager program like GetRight instead?

    Lebowski, Dec 19, 2003

  3. nrennie

    thor Guest

    Lebowski wrote:

    > "nrennie" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> I've just installed Netscape 7.1 on a new machine and I can only get 2
    >> downloads running at once.
    >>
    >> Does anyway know of a way to allow more?
    >>
    >> Or perhaps it is a Win XP Pro setting?
    >>

    >> Thanks for your help,
    >>
    >> Nick
    >>

    > Why not try a download manager program like GetRight instead?

    Maybe because he doesn't want to use spyware

    thor, Dec 19, 2003
  4. nrennie

    Lebowski Guest

    "thor" <> wrote in message
    > Lebowski wrote:
    >

    > > "nrennie" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>

    > >> I've just installed Netscape 7.1 on a new machine and I can only get 2
    > >> downloads running at once.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyway know of a way to allow more?
    > >>
    > >> Or perhaps it is a Win XP Pro setting?
    > >>

    > >> Thanks for your help,
    > >>
    > >> Nick
    > >>

    > > Why not try a download manager program like GetRight instead?

    > Maybe because he doesn't want to use spyware

    But there is NO spyware in recent versions of GetRight. I've used GetRight
    for a few years now (1998, if my memory serves me correct), and of course
    both Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware 6.0 turn up no evidence of
    spyware. My machine's cleaner than a clean thing.

    And to verify this, at http://www.getright.com/statement.html

    they announce that Gator has not been involved with GetRight for a long time
    now, since 4.5e, and now they're up to 5.1.

    Next time you post a smart-assed response, make sure it's not half-assed ;-)

    Lebowski, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Hi there,

    nrennie wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I've just installed Netscape 7.1 on a new machine and I can only get 2
    > downloads running at once.
    >
    > Does anyway know of a way to allow more?
    >
    > Or perhaps it is a Win XP Pro setting?
    >

    > Thanks for your help,

    Not sure. If you're running dialup a standard ppp connection consists
    of a maximum of 4 'channels'. AFAIK Netscape leaves at least 2 of those
    open at any one time if ftp/http downloads are already running...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 21, 2003
  6. nrennie

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > nrennie wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >

    > > I've just installed Netscape 7.1 on a new machine and I can only get 2
    > > downloads running at once.
    > >
    > > Does anyway know of a way to allow more?
    > >
    > > Or perhaps it is a Win XP Pro setting?
    > >

    > > Thanks for your help,

    > Not sure. If you're running dialup a standard ppp connection consists
    > of a maximum of 4 'channels'. AFAIK Netscape leaves at least 2 of those
    > open at any one time if ftp/http downloads are already running...

    Hell that's weird, I though PPP was a link layer protocol (layer2). An
    when used with IP which has no knowledge of 'channels' I can see where
    this arbitrary limitation would occur. It is not until we get to TCP
    that any sort of concept of channels becomes valid.

    Perhaps it is some obscure windows thing? Hell I haven't used PPP except
    on the road for years.

    --

    Chris

    ChrisOD, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Hi there,

    ChrisOD wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>nrennie wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>

    >>>I've just installed Netscape 7.1 on a new machine and I can only get 2
    >>>downloads running at once.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyway know of a way to allow more?
    >>>
    >>>Or perhaps it is a Win XP Pro setting?
    >>>

    >>>Thanks for your help,

    >>Not sure. If you're running dialup a standard ppp connection consists
    >>of a maximum of 4 'channels'. AFAIK Netscape leaves at least 2 of those
    >>open at any one time if ftp/http downloads are already running...

    > Hell that's weird, I though PPP was a link layer protocol (layer2). An
    > when used with IP which has no knowledge of 'channels' I can see where
    > this arbitrary limitation would occur. It is not until we get to TCP
    > that any sort of concept of channels becomes valid.

    I think it could be to do with open connections. A file download I guess
    is a constantly open connection, whereas opening a webpage is a barrage
    of requests and then transfers, with modem time available in between
    each 'transaction'. I read how this works a while ago, so I must read
    up on it again to be sure. I still think ppp over a modem can only
    support 4 open connections simultaneously...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 22, 2003
  8. "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >>>Not sure. If you're running dialup a standard ppp connection consists
    >>>of a maximum of 4 'channels'. AFAIK Netscape leaves at least 2 of those
    >>>open at any one time if ftp/http downloads are already running...

    >> Hell that's weird, I though PPP was a link layer protocol (layer2). An
    >> when used with IP which has no knowledge of 'channels' I can see where
    >> this arbitrary limitation would occur. It is not until we get to TCP that
    >> any sort of concept of channels becomes valid.

    > I think it could be to do with open connections. A file download I guess
    > is a constantly open connection, whereas opening a webpage is a barrage
    > of requests and then transfers, with modem time available in between
    > each 'transaction'. I read how this works a while ago, so I must read
    > up on it again to be sure. I still think ppp over a modem can only
    > support 4 open connections simultaneously...

    I think its more likely a client or server side setting

    In IE there is registry change. Apparently there is some RFC spec that
    sates only 2 simultaneous downloads

    How to Configure Internet Explorer to Have More Than Two Download Sessions

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282402

    Nathan Mercer, Dec 22, 2003
  9. nrennie

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <7lyFb.36936$>, nathan@4757979!!!
    SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz says...
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Hell that's weird, I though PPP was a link layer protocol (layer2). An
    > >> when used with IP which has no knowledge of 'channels' I can see where
    > >> this arbitrary limitation would occur. It is not until we get to TCP that
    > >> any sort of concept of channels becomes valid.

    > > I think it could be to do with open connections. A file download I guess
    > > is a constantly open connection, whereas opening a webpage is a barrage
    > > of requests and then transfers, with modem time available in between
    > > each 'transaction'. I read how this works a while ago, so I must read
    > > up on it again to be sure. I still think ppp over a modem can only
    > > support 4 open connections simultaneously...

    > I think its more likely a client or server side setting
    >
    > In IE there is registry change. Apparently there is some RFC spec that
    > sates only 2 simultaneous downloads
    >
    > How to Configure Internet Explorer to Have More Than Two Download Sessions
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282402

    It is nothing to do with PPP; that is a layer 2 protocol and doesn't
    even know anything about sessions, channels or anyother such thing. All
    it does is forward a frame of data from one end of a link to the other.

    Perhaps this quote from the quoted MS support link, may enlighten. "This
    configuration is a function of the browser."

    But this setting only controls simultaneous downloads from a site not
    total simultaneous downloads.

    --

    Chris

    ChrisOD, Dec 23, 2003