    usage figures on IHUG. NetMeter says just over 4Gb but IHUG says just
    over 3.6Gb. Does NetMeter measure in metric rather than binary that
    IHUG does?

    GraB, Jun 28, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    >NetMeter says just over 4Gb but IHUG says just
    >over 3.6Gb. Does NetMeter measure in metric rather than binary that
    >IHUG does?

    That's a difference of around 10%, whereas the difference between
    gibibytes and gigabytes is more like 7.5%.

    Can you post more accurate values? Then we can compare.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2005

  3. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:56:44 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>NetMeter says just over 4Gb but IHUG says just
    >>over 3.6Gb. Does NetMeter measure in metric rather than binary that
    >>IHUG does?

    >That's a difference of around 10%, whereas the difference between
    >gibibytes and gigabytes is more like 7.5%.
    >
    >Can you post more accurate values? Then we can compare.

    IHUG: 3624Mb
    NetMeter: 4.078Gb

    GraB, Jun 28, 2005
  4. GraB wrote:
    > After almost one full month of broadband I wanted to see how my
    > connection slowed down once I reached 4Gb for the month. Went over it
    > last night, according to NetMeter, but no slowdown. So I checked my
    > usage figures on IHUG. NetMeter says just over 4Gb but IHUG says just
    > over 3.6Gb. Does NetMeter measure in metric rather than binary that
    > IHUG does?

    The most likely answer lies in at what layer they are recording your usage figure.
    It is probably at layer two or three and will not count some of the traffic
    your net meter does.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jun 28, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:56:44 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>NetMeter says just over 4Gb but IHUG says just
    >>>over 3.6Gb. Does NetMeter measure in metric rather than binary that
    >>>IHUG does?

    >>That's a difference of around 10%, whereas the difference between
    >>gibibytes and gigabytes is more like 7.5%.
    >>
    >>Can you post more accurate values? Then we can compare.

    >IHUG: 3624Mb

    Assuming this is 3624MiB, that translates to 3800MB near enough.

    >NetMeter: 4.078Gb

    This is significantly more than 3624MiB and 3624MB.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 29, 2005
  6. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:08:34 UTC, Collector¯NZ
    <> wrote:

    > GraB wrote:
    > > After almost one full month of broadband I wanted to see how my
    > > connection slowed down once I reached 4Gb for the month. Went over it
    > > last night, according to NetMeter, but no slowdown. So I checked my
    > > usage figures on IHUG. NetMeter says just over 4Gb but IHUG says just
    > > over 3.6Gb. Does NetMeter measure in metric rather than binary that
    > > IHUG does?

    > The most likely answer lies in at what layer they are recording your usage figure.
    > It is probably at layer two or three and will not count some of the traffic
    > your net meter does.

    Another possible explanation would be that the New Zealand traffic was
    either free or charged at a lower rate (eg 10% of international
    traffic). Lots of ISPs seem to do this.

    Stephen Worthington, Jun 29, 2005
  7. GraB

    Mark Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:08:34 UTC, Collector¯NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > GraB wrote:
    > > > After almost one full month of broadband I wanted to see how my
    > > > connection slowed down once I reached 4Gb for the month. Went over it
    > > > last night, according to NetMeter, but no slowdown. So I checked my
    > > > usage figures on IHUG. NetMeter says just over 4Gb but IHUG says just
    > > > over 3.6Gb. Does NetMeter measure in metric rather than binary that
    > > > IHUG does?

    > > The most likely answer lies in at what layer they are recording your

    usage figure.
    > > It is probably at layer two or three and will not count some of the

    traffic
    > > your net meter does.

    > Another possible explanation would be that the New Zealand traffic was
    > either free or charged at a lower rate (eg 10% of international
    > traffic). Lots of ISPs seem to do this.

    Or Netmeter is counting non-routed/routable traffic. Which is probably more
    likely.

    Mark, Jun 30, 2005