Netgear WN511B laptopadapter<>WN834B router: <> frequently drops connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John Butler, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    This wireless network is running Channel 1, Network01, >270Mbps, Security,
    ..WPA-PSK +WPA2_PSK, Access Point mode. Strength is shown by Microsoft
    Windows XP Professional as 50%. Configuration is with NETGEAR WN511B
    software.

    The Router is attached to Workstation on ground floor laptop is in wife's
    study on 2nd floor about 55ft direct. Intervening 9" brick-wall and concrete
    ceiling/floor (empty garage below latter)

    Laptop connects OK with Wizard but never reconnects at reboot and often
    drops connection. In both cases wizard is required for reconnection.

    This Netgear configuration is claimed to have a much greater range so I
    wonder what I am doing wrong?

    Is the distance so great that I would do better suing a pair of mains sector
    plug-in adapters with USB connection to workstation and wireless link to
    laptop?
    I would welcome any suggestions
    John

    John Butler, Jan 2, 2007

  2. Hi

    It is not clear from your description whether or not you use Windows Zero
    Configuration and or the Original Netgear Utility.

    Make sure that you use only one of these two and the other is Off.

    The distance claims made by Marketing “Hocus Pocus” is unfortunately not a
    Reality.

    In many cases, 55 feet upright and two walls would degrade the signal to
    become none functional.

    The best Method to Extend Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific
    Environment. Look at these pages, they describe most of the options that
    are within the means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you
    environment best. Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html Wirelessly Bridging Home / Network -
    http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html Hi Gain Antenna for Entry Level
    Wireless - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html In general, the best Method
    involves using multiple units connected with wire to the source. Or WDS (
    Wireless Network, Configuration Modes -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ). Wire connected Access Point (or
    a second Wireless Router configured as an Access Point) is better since WDS
    cuts the "Speed" into half past the repeating unit. Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 2, 2007

  3. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    Jack
    I will follow up your links.

    I have configured using the Netgear Wizard for the laptop and setup the
    router using IE7 to access the 834 settings

    Would it be better to use thw windows confguration?
    John

    John Butler, Jan 2, 2007
  4. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    Hi Jack

    I followed up the very useful links you provided and studied the
    specifications for
    the Netgear WN834B Router which is supposed to be able to deal with concrete
    floors but does not specify brick walls, So I pierced the wall from my study
    to the
    garage and took the ether net cabling from PC & Cable modem through the wall
    to the WN834B router on a shelf halfway up the wall on the garage side,
    leaving just the concrete ceiling between it and the laptop.
    The connection not seems to be stable at 130 Mbps, strength medium: but I
    have
    only been running it for six hours, since making the changes this morning.
    Time will tell.
    I hope this small story will be a useful addition to your knowledge base.
    Happy new Year
    John

    John Butler, Jan 3, 2007
  5. Hi
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Since you found a better position, and the signal propagates better.
    If the Router has a removable Antenna, you might be able to compensate with
    higher Gain Omni Antenna.
    Example, http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=3069&cat=250&page=1

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 3, 2007