netgear wireless card in notebook quit working

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by effi, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. effi

    effi Guest

    wg511u 108 mbps netgear wireless card in toshiba tecra 3100 pcmcia slot quit
    working after removal from the pcmcia slot without clicking on "safely
    remove hardware"

    in control panel, system, device manager, netgear wireless adapter has an
    indicator it doesn't work, properties says it cannot start, code (10)

    also in device manager a secondary ide channel is shown with a yellow ? next
    to it, and under properties it indicated it ain't working (can't remember
    exact message right now) - if this is uninstalled, on restarting the
    computer the new hardware found stuff happens and it results in the same
    yellow ? next to "secondary ide channel" in device manager,,,,,,properties
    in device manager says it cannot start, code (10) - same code as netgear
    wireless card (per above)

    there are two lights on the netgear wireless card,,,,before the card quit
    working, both lights would light up,,,now only one light blinks every once
    in a while, the other light doesn't light up at all, owner's manual says
    when only one light lights up like that the card is in the power save
    mode....

    the owner tried uninstalling then reinstalling the netgear drivers 3 times
    from the install cd and no change...

    is the netgear wireless card damaged beyond use?

    otherwise, what needs to be done so the netgear wireless card works again,
    resulting in internet access?
    effi, Jan 9, 2005

  2. effi

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > is the netgear wireless card damaged beyond use?
    >
    > otherwise, what needs to be done so the netgear wireless card works
    > again, resulting in internet access?

    The card is dead.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 9, 2005

  3. effi

    effi Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    >> is the netgear wireless card damaged beyond use?
    >>
    >> otherwise, what needs to be done so the netgear wireless card works
    >> again, resulting in internet access?
    >>

    > The card is dead.
    >
    > Duane :)

    oh well, it mysteriously started working again...
    effi, Jan 10, 2005
  4. effi

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "effi" <> wrote in news::

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> is the netgear wireless card damaged beyond use?
    >>>
    >>> otherwise, what needs to be done so the netgear wireless card works
    >>> again, resulting in internet access?
    >>>

    >> The card is dead.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > oh well, it mysteriously started working again...

    It sounds like it's just a matter of time before failure again with the
    card or something related to it.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 10, 2005
  5. "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "effi" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    >>> The card is dead.
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> oh well, it mysteriously started working again...
    >>

    > It sounds like it's just a matter of time before failure again with the
    > card or something related to it.

    Bollocks . . um I mean, What do you base this on?
    William the Wombat, Jan 10, 2005
  6. effi

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "William the Wombat" <> wrote in news:34ff02F4cn3esU1
    @individual.net:

    @corp.supernews.com:

    >>> "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    >>> oh well, it mysteriously started working again...
    >>>

    >> It sounds like it's just a matter of time before failure again with

    the
    >> card or something related to it.

    > Bollocks . . um I mean, What do you base this on?

    Well, I had a laptop with a wireless Linksys WPC11 v1 wireless card that
    did the same thing which was a couple of years old when it started giving
    me problems by working and not working. I got a new WPC11 v3 card and
    never looked back. I had a Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 router that part of the
    memory no longer worked so that I couldn't get to the Admin screens
    anymore. Luckily, before it happened, I was able to set it to a
    wire/wireless switch AP and ran in that mode for about 6 months with it
    connected to a Watchguard FW appliance before it finally died recently
    altogether.

    So bullocks .. um I mean -- I guess things can't go defective in your
    world.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 10, 2005
  7. effi

    effi Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "effi" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    >>> The card is dead.
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> oh well, it mysteriously started working again...
    >>

    > It sounds like it's just a matter of time before failure again with the
    > card or something related to it.
    >
    > Duane :)

    based on netgear's website, they're having massive problems with their
    products and windows xp service pack 2, and offer some beta versions of
    fixes for some of those problems but don't support those, their own, beta
    version fixes...
    effi, Jan 11, 2005
  8. effi

    Robert Baer Guest

    effi wrote:

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > > "effi" <> wrote in news::
    > >
    > >> "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    > >> oh well, it mysteriously started working again...
    > >>

    > > It sounds like it's just a matter of time before failure again with the
    > > card or something related to it.
    > >
    > > Duane :)

    > based on netgear's website, they're having massive problems with their
    > products and windows xp service pack 2, and offer some beta versions of
    > fixes for some of those problems but don't support those, their own, beta
    > version fixes...

    Sounds like a return is in order, and another brand that is confirmed
    to work properly as the next step..
    Robert Baer, Jan 11, 2005