Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Tremblay, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. I recently purchased a Sony Vaio 2.68 GHz system and a Netgear WGR614
    Wireless Router to connect to my existing SBC Yahoo DSL Alcatel Speed
    Touch Home Router. I plan to connect another older computer to the
    router so the 2 computers can share use of the internet. The Sony
    Vaio shows a network connection to a Local Area Network (enablesd)
    through a Realtek RTL8139/810X and a 1394 Connection (enabled) through
    a 1394 Net Adapter. The router light shows power, connection to the
    computer (#4 connection), and the internet light is lit (indicating a
    link has been established to the modem according to the Netgear
    installation guide). I was able to type in 192.168.0.1 in the address
    field of IE and connect to the router. The smart wizard could not
    detect the internet connection and I was not able to connect after
    manually entering configuration settings for my ISP. I have contacted
    Technical support with both Netgear and SBC on 2 different occasions
    each without coming up with a solution. Netgear first had me return
    the router but I had not better luck with the replacement. They then
    told me that the router must not be compatible with the modem and that
    I needed to have my ISP replace the modem. The ISP was even less
    helpful in only stating their obligation was to connect the computer
    to the modem and nothing more (I initially had set up a broadband
    connection directly to the modem and determined I could connect
    directly without going through the router. SBC did tell me there was
    no known compatibility issues between the router and the modem. I
    would appreciate it if someone could take me step by step through the
    correct network configuration. If it is felt that it is not a network
    configuration problem, any other suggestions would be most
    appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

    Paul Tremblay
    Paul Tremblay, Jan 30, 2004