Netgear WG511T

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Peter Geddes, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. Peter Geddes

    Peter Geddes Guest

    I'm trying to get wireless Internet access through my Netgear WG511T card
    but whenever I put all the settings in, I get this error message:

    The supplicant support has not been installed correctly. You need to run
    setup again to fix this problem. If instead you continue, 8.02.x and WPA
    will be disabled.

    It's been reinstalled several times!! What is the supplicant support?

    I click OK on the message box but the little icon in the system tray goes
    from green to red continuously. The Setup Wizard sees it, connects at
    108MBPs but loses it and searches all the channels again, finds it again etc
    etc.

    Im using Win98SE on a P233 Laptop. Antique I know but it should still
    work!! I'm using the lastest drivers from Netgear and the Router, a DG834GT
    is using the latest firmware.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Peter Geddes

    --

    All incoming & outgoing emails and files scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2005

    Peter Geddes, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Peter Geddes

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Peter Geddes" <> wrote in message news:42fd0d5e$0$13702$...
    > I'm trying to get wireless Internet access through my Netgear WG511T card but whenever I put all the settings in, I get this
    > error message:
    >
    > The supplicant support has not been installed correctly. You need to run setup again to fix this problem. If instead you
    > continue, 8.02.x and WPA will be disabled.
    >
    > It's been reinstalled several times!! What is the supplicant support?

    As can be seen from the error message - supplicant is something related
    to WPA and 802.1x. You need this bit working to be able to
    connect to the internet.
    Then probably you haven't install it, or something other went wrong.
    The vendor tech support is your friend.

    > Im using Win98SE on a P233 Laptop. Antique I know but it should still work!!

    Hmm. Iif you think so, then maybe.
    Computers are just like cars - the older they are,the less is fun...

    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 12, 2005

  3. Peter Geddes

    Peter Geddes Guest

    I've just sent another email to Netgear's support department!!

    The laptop is old, but it's reliable. Even on Win 98!!

    Thanks

    Peter Geddes, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Peter Geddes

    Guest

    Peter Geddes wrote:

    > I'm trying to get wireless Internet access through my Netgear WG511T card
    > but whenever I put all the settings in, I get this error message:
    >
    > The supplicant support has not been installed correctly. You need to run
    > setup again to fix this problem. If instead you continue, 8.02.x and WPA
    > will be disabled.
    >
    > It's been reinstalled several times!! What is the supplicant support?
    >
    > I click OK on the message box but the little icon in the system tray goes
    > from green to red continuously. The Setup Wizard sees it, connects at
    > 108MBPs but loses it and searches all the channels again, finds it again etc
    > etc.
    >
    > Im using Win98SE on a P233 Laptop. Antique I know but it should still
    > work!! I'm using the lastest drivers from Netgear and the Router, a DG834GT
    > is using the latest firmware.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Peter Geddes

    I would probably try to find a card that lists 98SE as a supported OS
    and if this card states that it supports 98SE I'd go to a different card.

    , Aug 24, 2005
  5. Peter Geddes

    Markus Kohm Guest

    Peter Geddes wrote:

    > I'm trying to get wireless Internet access through my Netgear WG511T card

    I've tried to use a WG111 (USB-Device) with Win98SE, WinME, Win2k and WinXP.
    With WinXP it works well, iff I use the WinXP support for wireless devices.
    With Win2k, WinME and Win98SE the Netgear smart connection tool shows a
    connection but the DHCP response from the AP is ignored. So I get no
    network to the AP (even if I setup a IP address, the default gateway and
    the DNS, these Windows versions tried to use the cable device).

    And the Netgear smart connection tool eats all resources at Win98SE and
    WinME. At the Netgear support pages this is a known bug, but I couldn't
    find a solution. All downloadable versions of the software has the same
    bug.

    I'd never buy a Netgear wireless device again.

    Markus

    Markus Kohm, Aug 24, 2005
  6. Peter Geddes

    stokestack

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    This is a Netgear problem.

    I'm using Windows XP SP2 on a freshly formatted and meticulously maintained system. And on startup, I get this "supplicant support" error randomly, but with increasing frequency lately. On the second startup attempt (and you have to shut the computer off, not just do a soft reboot) it usually doesn't happen.

    I've seen it on other computers in other environments.

    Netgear's drivers definitely appear to suck.

    stokestack, May 5, 2007